1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Java & .Net Alternatives For Windows Development

Hey folks,

Typically at my company, we develop in C# and WPF to create Windows applications. For reasons that are beyond the scope of this questions, the powers that be made a decision to move off the .Net platform and I have been tasked to find a replacement.

In the past, we would have heavily considered Java for it's cross-platform properties, ease of development, garbage collection, etc. But lately Java isn't fairing so well in the press and it's been removed as an option.

What other languages/platforms should I be looking at? We are looking to build desktop applications with complex user-interfaces (datagrids connected to databases, etc). Again...not a web platform, but a desktop platform. It would need to be something that has a strong community backing. Cross-Platform is ideal, but not required. Built-In memory management is also preferred so that we can worry less about leaks and buffer overflows, etc. Ease of development would be great (easy like C# is easy).

Suggestions?
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

You say that the reasons are beyond the scope, but it would be nice to know which features C# lacks.
    If you only use Windows based systems and have a development environment with .NET, I cant see why to move way from it from what you have written.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    You say that the reasons are beyond the scope, but it would be nice to know which features C# lacks.
    If you only use Windows based systems and have a development environment with .NET, I cant see why to move way from it from what you have written.
    You're preaching to the choir, but it's beyond my control. There are no lacking features. It stems from a desire to move into a realm outside of Microsoft's control.
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So you want to make windows programs without being under microsoft's control? Are they missing something in this equation?

What kind of apps do you make? Is it feasible to move to the web and just tell them LAMP?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    So you want to make windows programs without being under microsoft's control? Are they missing something in this equation?

What kind of apps do you make? Is it feasible to move to the web and just tell them LAMP?
    It's mind boggling, I know. It's not "feasible" to do what you're suggesting, but there may not be any other choice if there truly is no other alternatives for the desktop realm. I assume there isn't, but that's what I came here to confirm.

Thanks
  11. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Well of course there ARE, but why would you? You can make windows desktop applications in C, C++, python, perl, java, and even PHP. but that doesn't mean you should.

They'd also need a whole new dev staff, one which actually specializes in making windows apps in whatever language they choose.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo