1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Keeping up with the commandline

It seems like everything is command line nowadays. How do you keep a steady workflow constantly having to think about commandline commands... like compiling sass, using composer to steer laravel.. Is there a guide to doing that correct?

A confused commandline newb'
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I used to use the command line all day long and I never had a problem with it. I only really used 5-6 programs on the command line and all their switches were easy to remember.

Make yourself a cheat sheet and hang it next to your monitor.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    I used to use the command line all day long and I never had a problem with it. I only really used 5-6 programs on the command line and all their switches were easy to remember.

Make yourself a cheat sheet and hang it next to your monitor.
    True. Good idea, I'm a windows user, for whole my life. But all the curl and other commands seem to work much better on a mac.. am i wrong?
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Mac is unix with a fancy graphics shell, so curl, vi, wget, etc are all built into the mac's underlying architecture. In Windows, you have to install them as a separate add-on thing in a separate version of the shell than the one the OS actually runs on.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo