1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi!

hi everyone! i dunno if this is right place to post this but im new at the forum. i need someone to teach me everything about progamming. im like a 0 in progamming. I particularily want to make a browser game, but i want to learn everything. If someone could help me with that i would be rly thankful!
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Can I assume that by posting in here you mean that you want to learn PHP? What have you looked for already to learn from? Any schools nearby that offer classes on programming?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Can I assume that by posting in here you mean that you want to learn PHP? What have you looked for already to learn from? Any schools nearby that offer classes on programming?
    no. i don't even know what that is. i'm just learning on some website, but i think it's just the basic of the basics. im going to follow progamming on uni, but i still one year left to go. i just want to learn before going to uni so i can have a good base of it.
  7. Transforming Moderator

In my opinion school is the best place to get a footing. Take a look around for things you're interested in doing and get a feel for what kinds of things you'll need to know, but leave the book learnin' until next year.

Heck, you've got a year left until you've got a few years left until you've got to spend the rest of your life working a job. Enjoy it while you still have it.
  9. No Profile Picture

i just wanted to start. if u have someone available plz tell me.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Programming doesn't have to be about work or jobs or school. It can be a fun hobby too.

I don't know where you live, but chances are you can find some programming classes through local youth organizations and such. If you're in high school, you may be able to audit programming classes at a local community college.

Failing that, there's no shortage of online classes and resources to teach yourself programming.

Asking at a forum for a personal tutor is a dead end. I don't think anyone has that kind of time or commitment to strangers they meet online.
  13. Transforming Moderator

Moved from PHP

Fair enough... Just worried about picking up bad habits before s/he's had a chance to learn why they're bad.

You need to know what you want to learn. Web development? Windows applications? While they share the basics, those two split off fairly rapidly in terms of what you need to know and how to use the languages available.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Dazed&Confused
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by requinix
    In my opinion school is the best place to get a footing. Take a look around for things you're interested in doing and get a feel for what kinds of things you'll need to know, but leave the book learnin' until next year.

Heck, you've got a year left until you've got a few years left until you've got to spend the rest of your life working a job. Enjoy it while you still have it.
    Mixed blessing. School may give you some best practices, but it might also send you down an overly complex technology stack. If your target is Windows applications then .NET will be easiest, PHP or node.js for web applications, scripting languages or C++ for *nix applications.

A school will probably force you down Java since it's the "Jack of All Trades" but even after programming professionally for 10 years, the Java environment is a pain in the ***. A newcomer shouldn't be burdened by that.
    LinkedIn: Dave Mittner
  17. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    You know you're old when you can say they didn't have schools for it when you learned programming.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo