1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Learning Path for System Admin/Database Admin

All,

I have been trying to put together a learning path to basically become a System Admin and also develop databases with SQL/Access.

I currently have 6 years of IT Management experience, but only have my A+ certification. I was wondering if anyone has a recommended path to take.

I know "System Admin" is very broad, but I would like to build up my certifications and knowledge in the most efficient path possible, thanks.

Also, where is the best place to start my path to learning SQL. I am currently reading Step by Step for Access 2010 and have several other books as well.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SA education

I would love to hear someones comments on this as well. I am a military SA and the contractors that I work with have said that experience and certifications are valued over just having a degree.
    However, I know companies like Northrop Grumman will not hire without a degree.

Our shop is pushing us to get the three basic comptia certs but after going to a couple of on post job fairs I am starting to think that they carry the same weight as if I pooped in my hand.
  5. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I would have to say do down the Microsoft route. It seems most employers I have seen run primarily Microsoft SQL. It will at least get your foot in the door somewhere.
    Codeinated
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by cody_e
    I would have to say do down the Microsoft route. It seems most employers I have seen run primarily Microsoft SQL. It will at least get your foot in the door somewhere.
    You should just learn SQL and adapt to the flavors. I have to run DB2 and Oracle primarily in our company using PeopleSoft and a Data Warehouse respectively. We use SQL Server for web/intranet apps. If you know one you should be able to move around to the others easily enough for most things the biggest differences are minor, such as date formats. As someone who uses Access quite heavily I must caution not to base your assumptions of SQL on MS Access. Getting a local copy of SQL Server running would be much better.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    You should just learn SQL and adapt to the flavors. I have to run DB2 and Oracle primarily in our company using PeopleSoft and a Data Warehouse respectively. We use SQL Server for web/intranet apps. If you know one you should be able to move around to the others easily enough for most things the biggest differences are minor, such as date formats. As someone who uses Access quite heavily I must caution not to base your assumptions of SQL on MS Access. Getting a local copy of SQL Server running would be much better.
    I'm just a straight up Systems Administrator so I don't do much with databases. I know at least around Wisconsin (central and Madison area) most people stick with Microsoft. Your advice is definitely sound. It's best to be as flexible as possible as other opportunities will pop up that require different skills. Maybe it's a matter of research on what the majority of employers have in the area to figure out what to start with.
    Codeinated

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo