1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Learning something new as a PHP programmer

Hello. For a few of years now I've been programming in PHP and recently I though it would be a good idea to start learning something new to add to my skill set (preferably something that can also be used in web development and is cross-platform) and one of the choices was Java.

I've done some programming in Java so I'm not quite clueless about it (but not far either). My question is, how much would it take to reach the same level of knowledge in Java that I have in PHP (or anyone with 3-5 years experience) and would it be worth it (here I'm referring to the ease of finding a job, at least paid the same if not better, etc)?

The target here is not necessarily to switch from PHP to Java (or any other language) but to be able to choose the best tool for the job.

Also if Java isn't really an option what would you recommend? (as a reference one of the things that I don't like about PHP is that is isn't strong typed)
    Last edited by dbrian; November 28th, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you're still considering web development then I would go the .NET route instead. PHP and .NET dominate web development, with Java coming up in third place.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    If you're still considering web development then I would go the .NET route instead. PHP and .NET dominate web development, with Java coming up in third place.
    I am still considering web development, but I don't want to replace PHP with Java, just use Java for parts of an application if required. Also if I were to completely switch from PHP to Java it wouldn't be for web development.

Regarding .NET, I don't really like it since I would only be able to develop applications for Windows.
  7. Sarcky

Originally Posted by dbrian
    Regarding .NET, I don't really like it since I would only be able to develop applications for Windows.
    Unless you do web development, which works on all browsers regardless of OS. The server software has to be Windows though, I'm with you there.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Unless you do web development, which works on all browsers regardless of OS. The server software has to be Windows though, I'm with you there.
    Indeed for web development it wouldn't matter but for that I consider PHP to be up to the task (at least most of the times).

Basically I'm trying to find something that allows me to more easily switch to another domain/platform (best example here would be Java I guess).
  11. Transforming Moderator

Originally Posted by dbrian
    Hardly: Mono lets you run 99.9% of .NET applications on Linux boxes.

If you want to work web development then do PHP and .NET. If you want to work non-Windows web development then you're crippling yourself unnecessarily but whatever do PHP and Java.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by requinix
    Hardly: Mono lets you run 99.9% of .NET applications on Linux boxes.

If you want to work web development then do PHP and .NET. If you want to work non-Windows web development then you're crippling yourself unnecessarily but whatever do PHP and Java.
    Ok, so for web development I'll stick to PHP, but what if I would like to switch (or freelance on small projects - besides the main job of course) to mobile/desktop?
  15. Transforming Moderator

Mobile as in mobile apps? Objective C for iOS and Java for Android.
    Desktop... I don't know what you'd do for Linux or OSX but for Windows I'd go .NET.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo