Thread: Look at this

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Look at this

what do you people think of the page I made which shows a flaw in firefox that has been there since 2001 and still not fixed?

view it in firefox first then google chrome or IE or safari

also click on the link I provided on the page to learn more about this bug and there was a better page for this about this bug but I couldn't find it a second time

table_example
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It's actually pretty common for major open source projects to have bug reports for seemingly important issues open for years. If I were you I would redesign your system so that it doesn't rely on that functionality. Since it hasn't been fixed in the past decade, the chances of it being fixed anytime soon are very low.

Some other examples
    * In MySQL's INNODB engine, the default configuration makes it impossible to recover disk space once it has been allocated to MySQL
    * In Thunderbird, the messages shown in the system tray notification when you receive new messages are usually the wrong messages.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

this is just an example showing the bug
  7. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    People are still using COBOL programs that are full of bugs. If you can't offer a solution that is superior while being cost-effective, than you may as well piss into a strong wind.

I'm not being snarky, just sayin'.

Comments on this post

• Jyncka agrees : People run Coldfusion on shared environments and wonder why their sites crash.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.
  9. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

You can call this a bug if you want, but it probably wasn't (and never will be) addressed because there's no real purpose in doing this. If you have need to force position of individual cells, you shouldn't be using a table in the first place. Tables should never be used for positioning content.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees
    • codergeek42 agrees
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  11. Sarcky

It's actually pretty common for major open source projects to have bug reports for seemingly important issues open for years. If I were you I would redesign your system so that it doesn't rely on that functionality. Since it hasn't been fixed in the past decade, the chances of it being fixed anytime soon are very low.
    It's common for all projects, not just OSS. Search the .net bug database for "won't fix" and you see some serious issues that Microsoft has just refused to fix.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by Nilpo
    Tables should never be used for positioning content.
    Maybe back in the 90's
    Codeinated

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo