1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking 4 Recommendation

Hey All,
    I'm brand new to the Forum & I'm not so much a programmer . I am Actual a Sys Admin looking for a recommendation on what would be a good solution for some simple site i have to maintain.

I am currently maintaing site in AWS and I believe the costs are a bit out of hand for what the sites are .

What I would like is for the simple sites to use Amazons S3 Service , but I need to recommend what should be used to change the languages of these sites to accommodate.

I simply need a way to have dynamically generated content from a data source displayed in an html page . Currently this is handled via MySQL & PHP. I would like to eliminate these sense S3 cannot accommodate it.

It is my belief that these technologies could be replaced with XML as the data source and Java as the parser . However; is that the most modern solution. With HTML5 is there a new, better, easier Solution out there ?

The ultimate goal is to have a dynamic site built from a separate data source that can be updated from an admin page without php, asp, sql, or any other server related resources.

Maybe it isn't possible, I'm not sure.

Thanks,
    -Bill
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to DevShed Forums, Bill.

What you are considering is simply not feasible. You want to put a dynamic website on a host that only supports static files.

For one thing, how do you avoid having some or even all of the XML files that make up your database be downloaded every time a page needs some of the data to display its content?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

But is really really small ;-P

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Welcome to DevShed Forums, Bill.
    For one thing, how do you avoid having some or even all of the XML files that make up your database be downloaded every time a page needs some of the data to display its content?
    In this instance it would just be for menu items and a couple other things on the page that would pretty much just be a one page view that someone else would be changing from time to time and it really would be grabbing the whole DB each time.

Note that person have no programming skills what so ever.. hence an admin page to change the couple things that would like to change..

Is it still not possible cause of the lack of tech provided or would something that small be possible?
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

To have an admin page, you need a server-side language. Either that or you'd have to make a custom desktop app.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    The use of '4' for 'for' and all those smileys doesn't promote much confidence that you have any idea at all what you're doing. Just sayin'.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo