Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking for free project management software

Hi Guys,

I used to work on MS Project and then used GhanttProject because it's a freeware. I dont like the report tool of GhanttProject but I like the WebDav support. Few weeks ago, I found Open WorkBench and seemed to like its features. It suites my needs. The problem is I cant make it available like the way these web-based PM software are. I'm testing on OpenProj and Project-Open. They have this interchanged name w/c makes it funny, to me. I would like to know w/c of these two do you think is better? Or kindly suggest some other tools.

I would like to have the ff.:
    - work breakdown structure
    - resource breakdown structure
    - computation on resources, availability check
    - costing
    - ghantt chart
    - decent reports
    - support for file attachment
    - forums, ticketing, source code, attendance sheets are plus factors
    - a web-based app would really be great

I also tried dotProject but the reports isn't quite that good. I have tried quite a lot of web-based apps but the reporting modules arent so good compared to those desktop applications.

I hope there is really this product available.

Thank you very much.
  3. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can always write your own reports ....
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. Prisoner of the Sun

I need some software like that too. Where I work we have to use some stupid e-job bag thing that some previous developers made - but it's crap.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Right now, Im writing my own reports. But when you move from one task to another on the same day, it's quite hard. I'm not talking of just 2 tasks. Report tools make it easier. Why? So I dont have to spend time formatting the layout and etc. Most project managers and non-IT deparment managers spend most of the time perfecting their reports. Or are you saying that I should program my own reports?

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    You can always write your own reports ....
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by luv
    Most project managers and non-IT deparment managers spend most of the time perfecting their reports.
    I love this quote. Er, did it every occur to these PHB that they should be spending their effort getting the work done, rather than perfecting reports that go to higher level PHB?

And folks wonder why software is always late....
  11. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

It's not always about what makes sense, it's about what makes sense to your boss
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
    I love this quote. Er, did it every occur to these PHB that they should be spending their effort getting the work done, rather than perfecting reports that go to higher level PHB?

You make the assumption that reports serve no purpose? I disagree.

Comments on this post

• misterdanny agrees
    • medialint agrees : I disagree, too
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Arty Ziff
    You make the assumption that reports serve no purpose? I disagree.
    No, I said that rather than spending time perfecting reports going to upper level PHB, there are other ways to spend time more usefully.

Such as making sure your staff have what the need to get the job done. Finding out what the customer really needs, etc.

If PHB need "perfect" reports, then they are not smart enough to do their jobs. Clearly the Peter Principal strikes again.
  17. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Next time some one asks me for a report I'll try that ...

"If you were smart enough to do your job you wouldn't need that report!"

... so who's hiring these days?
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by medialint
    Next time some one asks me for a report I'll try that ...
    "If you were smart enough to do your job you wouldn't need that report!"
    ... so who's hiring these days?
    Wise guy. I was not commenting on all reports, just the "perfect report" and time spent perfecting them.

On topic, I find the reports generated by project management software to be nearly value free. In general, project management software applies a veneer of science and precision that is not justified. It assumes that the time and effort estimates are accurate, which is simply not accurate in general.

Why is most software late and over budget? Is it because the engineers are stupid and lazy? Or perhaps because the estimates were guesses?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

No, I said that rather than spending time perfecting reports going to upper level PHB, there are other ways to spend time more usefully.
    So, you make the assumption that reports serve very little purpose? I disagree.
  23. Prisoner of the Sun

Although not strictly "project management" tools, I've been thinking of instigating Trac or Bugzilla where I work - but I'm still looking to see if there are other (better) alternatives.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by b3n
    I've been thinking of instigating Trac or Bugzilla where I work
    Subversion and bugzilla/trac are far more important to successful development than any gantt chart tool.

Trac integrates a bit better into subversion. But far more important that "which is best" is to use one of them.

And don't forget cvs/svn
  27. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Subversion and bugzilla/trac are far more important to successful development than any gantt chart tool.
    I gather you haven't run a truly large project involving many people from various disciplines and requiring, as well, performance from third-party suppliers and manufacturers.

Project tracking and the necessary reporting tools go far beyond gantt charts.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  29. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

We need to talk about your TPS reports...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo