1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Not 'losing' your skills

Hello,

I'm sure many of you know the problem: Losing the skills you once had. Programming is not like riding a bicycle, well, not for me atleast, and it's easy to lose to knowledge and skills you once had. For me, for example, I spent some time in PHP and I've made a lot of fun things, including a CMS. Then a stressful situation occured which forced me to take a break, and I had not spent time in PHP for 3 years. The result: I've lost all of my knowledge and have to work on tutorials again to slowly relearn the language.

I'm sure many of you have had this problem too, and I was wondering if you'd like to share your way of maintaining skills and not losing those skills. Also, in how many languages do you code?
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't stop doing it. I go on the forums every day, I use PHP scripts to automate some day-to-day personal tasks, etc. I've given up on memorizing anything having to do with JavaScript which happened since 1998.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo