1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Meaningful Certification?

Are there any meaningful tests/certificates I should look into they may provide some real world advantage when looking for a job?

Like, experience aside, what papers should I get that say "I know what I'm doin"? PHP/MySql & all the front-end stuff.

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As an employer, no certification in the world will convince me that a PHP/MySQL guy knows much of anything other than working sample code -- especially code that demonstrates a knowledge of more than just PHP and the web -- even just some Python project he's done on GitHub, a resume handwritten in LaTeX (not kidding, actually), or something cool he's written in an enterprise type db like Postgres or DB2. That way I know he's a developer who can grok what's going on within the beast, not just a pigeon living in the PHP hole.

Bottom line is that its about trainability, not past certification. Certifications are good when you're just looking to push some trash work out to the army of programmers, fully expecting trash back (which is, honestly, the industry standard...). That's the area that India is going to steal your job. If you want to do something above that, then you should focus on developing interesting things to reference on your resume -- and be fully satisfied spending a few months/years in crap jobs until the right opportunities open up (spend those years learning everything you can on your own time, of course).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Makes sense. I'm in crap job no. 2 at the moment, lol. Thank you for your input.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo