1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Python: Is it useful?

Alright, I'm going to byte the bullet and see if I can make sense of this steaming pile called Python.

Add it to my collection.

Or maybe I'll just be a rebel and start coding all my web apps in Fortran.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Python is widespread on linux. yum (RedHat's package manager) is a python application, for example. I assume there are some common windows apps in python, but I don't know any examples off the top of my head.

Python is also used in a number of web applications like MoinMoin, Mailman and others. Here's a fun list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Python_software

I've dabbled with python on both windows and linux, and generally I like using it.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    I've never been able to appreciate the sublime arrogance of folks who feel they were put on earth just to save other folks from themselves .." - Donald Hamilton
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks, for the most part, I work with Linux based servers, though there is some possibility I might have to learn ASP.

At home, I gave up Windows completely several years ago, I run CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise (though I've never installed Fedora).

The *only* thing I miss about Windows is Photoshop. I don't want to get into an argument over it, but GIMP just doesn't cut it, though I do like Inkscape.

I know, I know... Photoshop in Wine. Haven't gotten around to it yet...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo