1. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

much like flying cars. (Weren't supposed to have those already?)
    Flying cars have been around for decades. Bob Cummings had a Taylor Aerocar , which was first built in 1949. Six were built. LTV was going to produce it if he could get 500 orders, but he could only get a couple of hundred. One was recently offered on EBay.

Robert Fulton prototyped one in the early 40s. Moller's (Skycar ) been pushing a VTOL version for years, but are not in production.
    Last edited by sizablegrin; April 10th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  3. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Flying cars never came about mainstream because the helicopter is perfectly acceptable for the people who need such things. If everyone had one there's be a whole new set of licensing, traffic planning, policing and such. Just what we need is people getting into fender benders five hundred feet over the financial district because they were sending a text message ...

I don't have much of a problem with battery life on my phone even if I use it all day long. Also if the battery was changeable you could carry around a spare or two, just as I do with my digital cameras.

At home you'd have some sort of docking station you'd hook it up to with a keyboard, mouse, and a decent size monitor.
    Exactly.

Phones aren't powerful enough.
    Aren't powerful enough to do what? Not for a lot of number crunching or actual office work, but most people only really need a computer for web surfing and e-mail in the first place, maybe a few games and entertaining applications. That's exactly where they are now. Plenty powerful for that. They won't replace the computers in your office, but they will (and already have) replace many computers in the home. Not the power users, no, but for plenty of people they've already reached the point where they've become the primary computer even if a more powerful alternative is available (as I cited an example in post 3).
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

The problem with flying cars is that most people can't deal adequately with the variables. Fly a plane, you'll know what I mean.

Furthermore, without STOL capabilities, they are only marginally effective. One would have to have a hell of a commute to offset the trips to and from the airport. You have to do it from your driveway.

Further, the FAA complicates things. There's a huge 3D airspace, but the rules put you on specific highways that cause congestion when skadillions of free airspace are available.

It isn't a simple problem, but it's complicated beyond belief by bureacracy and dumbasses.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  7. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    Aren't powerful enough to do what?
    I wasn't referring to sheer processor power. But the sum of it's capabilities. (processor power, ram, storage space, reliability).

I agree that people who just need to do simple organization things, like keeping a calendar can use their mobile has a replacement, but I do not think there will be a time when the majority of people use a mobile over a laptop or desktop.

Comments on this post

• sizablegrin disagrees : You don't show a lot of signs of knowing what the hell you mean.
  9. Null Pointer Exception

sizablegrin disagrees: You don't show a lot of signs of knowing what the hell you mean.
    Quite a funny response: what are you talking about?
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by sizablegrin
    The problem with flying cars is that most people can't deal adequately with the variables. Fly a plane, you'll know what I mean.

Furthermore, without STOL capabilities, they are only marginally effective.
    Given what I see driving on The Beltway, the dumbasses is enough to kill the idea on its own.

Then there are the places where you would really want one, places like DC, LA, NYC, etc. You can't fly a private plane into any of them without huge amounts of paperwork, TCAs etc. Every six months or so, some idiot flys a Cessna into the DC TCA and gets met by fighter jets. As did the bozo flying from Canada last week.

But don't worry, the Internet will let us all work from home. No more commuting.

Comments on this post

• Arty Ziff agrees : Random
  13. Lounge Troll

That bozo from Canada shut down all the airports in Central Wisconsin and also evacuated our capital! There's been a lot of incidences with planes here lately. Like 3-4 plan crashes in the past 6 months and that bozo from Canada.
    Codeinated
  15. Meatball Surgeon
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I felt the same way a year ago and now I'm completely addicted.
    Here is my problem with mobile surfing.

I'm at work 40+ hours a week, and guess what am using there? A computer! And then i go home (i have a very short commute < 3 miles) and guess what's there too! The only real way i will ever do mobile surfing is if a) if just happens to show up a new phone i have and B) ITS FREE! (no $30 data plans for me, thank you).

I have the same problem with mp3 players. at work I have a radio, same in the car, and a stereo at home.

I would get rid of my cellphone all together if it wasn't for that 5% of the time i use it when it is really convenient (such as being lost and looking for directions)

Overall, i think it just a sign of the times that some people just HAVE to be plugged in all the time. I live 2 blocks from a university, and i am always shocked at how many college kids have to be listening to thier mp3 player at all times!

just 2 cents from a cranky, old before he should be, man.
    Three gigs for the secretaries fair
    Seven gigs for the system source
    Nine gigs for the coders in smoky lairs
    One disk to rule them all, one disk to bind them
    One disk to hold the files, and in the darkness grind'em
    ---------------------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of Java, that my thoughts acquire speed.
    The hand acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning.
  17. Type Cast Exception

Code:
    I'm at work 40+ hours a week, and guess what am using there? A computer! And then i go home (i have a very short commute < 3 miles) and guess what's there too!
    Well ... my commute is on a train so it's nice to have it there. Even though it is a short (~12 minute) ride. As far as when I get home: I don't use my home PC nearly as much these days.

I live 2 blocks from a university, and i am always shocked at how many college kids have to be listening to thier mp3 player at all times!
    You'd really be shocked at how many professionals 30-55+ years old listen to them then.

Comments on this post

• Thr3ddy agrees
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  19. Lounge Troll

I'm actually trying to rig up a way I can use my phone as a primary computer. I want to be able to hook it up to a regular keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Work provides cell phones, with unlimited data plans so we can do out on call rotation and also be available in case of an emergency. We can also use these phones for personal use. Being the cheapskate I am, when I do get my own place (I'm moving back to my parents in 2 weeks and then finishing my degree online so I'll have their internet there but when I do move out) I don't see the point in paying for internet when I'll have it right on my phone.
    Codeinated
  21. Type Cast Exception

I don't see the point in paying for internet when I'll have it right on my phone
    You're not alone on that. Another good point to consider, really, when talking about the mobiles taking over as primaries.
    medialint.com

23. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

I need a computer, as a developer. I don't want an iphone because I don't need it. I do need a laptop for college but that's as far as mobile devices go - for now. So yeah, on one hand I think the iphone is overrated; on the other, I'm impressed by how powerful and useful it is (useful, just not to me.)
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  25. Null Pointer Exception

Originally Posted by cody_e
    I'm actually trying to rig up a way I can use my phone as a primary computer. I want to be able to hook it up to a regular keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Work provides cell phones, with unlimited data plans so we can do out on call rotation and also be available in case of an emergency. We can also use these phones for personal use. Being the cheapskate I am, when I do get my own place (I'm moving back to my parents in 2 weeks and then finishing my degree online so I'll have their internet there but when I do move out) I don't see the point in paying for internet when I'll have it right on my phone.
    You already could do that, to a certain level of practicability.

Most phones let you use them as an external modem via usb (either built in feature or 3rd party software), you can sync with your mail client just by plugging in your phone, nothing is stopping you from syncing other documents if you'd wish to do so. The only issue you would face is unreliable storage. I wouldn't use my phone as a primary source of data. I'll keep copies on it though.

There is no point in buying separate peripherals that go directly into your phone when you could just buy a laptop, if your looking for "ultra portability" get a netbook. (This is why I say mobiles will never take over PCs). Incase your @grin: when I say mobile I mean a phone-like device that fits in your pocket)
  27. Lounge Troll

Yeah what I plan to do is setup my phone as a gateway and then connecting my home network to it. It's not going to be the fastest but it'll be the cheapest. I mean you can't beat free!
    Codeinated
  29. Meatball Surgeon
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You'd really be shocked at how many professionals 30-55+ years old listen to them then.
    I think i live in a backwater city, heck, i know i live in a backwater city. But hey, Milwaukee isn't all bad, at least the 30-55+ crowd aren't walking around always with an mp3 player going.

For the most part, i just can't understand the need to be plugged in. I guess i got over that phase a long time ago with pagers. I remember when everyone in school thought i was a drug dealer cause i had a pager. nope, just a job that wouldn't let me be.

You never know how free you want to be of electronic leashes till you are standing by a lake praying your pager goes off just one more time so you can go thru with your threat of seeing how far it will skip!
    Last edited by Ebot; April 13th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
    Three gigs for the secretaries fair
    Seven gigs for the system source
    Nine gigs for the coders in smoky lairs
    One disk to rule them all, one disk to bind them
    One disk to hold the files, and in the darkness grind'em
    ---------------------------------------------------
    It is by the beans of Java, that my thoughts acquire speed.
    The hand acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo