1. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

If you think Milwaukee is a backwater city come to Marshfield (center of the state) and see how backwater it is. A lot of people don't even own cell phones. I know there's been times I've had to get a hold of people I called the bar I thought they'd be at and got a hold of them. I've also used CB radio to get a hold of some of my friends.
    Codeinated
  3. Meatball Surgeon
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by cody_e
    A lot of people don't even own cell phones.
    You make it sound like a bad thing....

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees
    • Arty Ziff agrees
    Three gigs for the secretaries fair
    Seven gigs for the system source
    Nine gigs for the coders in smoky lairs
    One disk to rule them all, one disk to bind them
    One disk to hold the files, and in the darkness grind'em
    ---------------------------------------------------
    It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.
    It is by the beans of Java, that my thoughts acquire speed.
    The hand acquire shakes; the shakes become a warning.
  5. Lounge Troll

Originally Posted by Ebot
    You make it sound like a bad thing....
    Sometimes it's a bad thing a lot of the time it can be a good thing.
    Codeinated
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

People need to reacquaint themselves with manners and common sense when it comes to their phones.

I hate it when I'm in line in a store or a fast food restaurant and the person at the front of the line has to inconvenience themselves to explain to their talking partner that they must temporarily suspend the discussion so that the talker may partake in a monetary transaction.

People are always walking out into intersections reading/sending text messages and what not without even paying attention to traffic. Yeah, I know it's the car driver's responsibility to stop but lets not create an accident scene that could be otherwise avoided.

I saw one guy nearly knock a little kid onto the BART tracks as he was pacing back and forth on the platform having an animated and apparently unpleasant discussion with an unseen foe.

And the real prizes go to the guys that get in public fights with their girlfriends calling them ... rather yelling at them: b!tch ... showing all the rest of the world the qualities that make him such a gentleman and worthy of this wonderful love interest of his.

Nothing to do with mobile internet per se ... it's been a problem as long as cell phones have been around. It's just a lot more of a problem because nearly everyone has one now.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

There have always been more horses asses than horses. As technology advances, we just get more technologically-advanced horses-asses.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  11. Null Pointer Exception

Originally Posted by medialint
    People need to reacquaint themselves with manners and common sense when it comes to their phones.

I hate it when I'm in line in a store or a fast food restaurant and the person at the front of the line has to inconvenience themselves to explain to their talking partner that they must temporarily suspend the discussion so that the talker may partake in a monetary transaction.

People are always walking out into intersections reading/sending text messages and what not without even paying attention to traffic. Yeah, I know it's the car driver's responsibility to stop but lets not create an accident scene that could be otherwise avoided.

I saw one guy nearly knock a little kid onto the BART tracks as he was pacing back and forth on the platform having an animated and apparently unpleasant discussion with an unseen foe.

And the real prizes go to the guys that get in public fights with their girlfriends calling them ... rather yelling at them: b!tch ... showing all the rest of the world the qualities that make him such a gentleman and worthy of this wonderful love interest of his.

Nothing to do with mobile internet per se ... it's been a problem as long as cell phones have been around. It's just a lot more of a problem because nearly everyone has one now.
    I don't mind all that so much.

What I hate are those guys with the small bluetooth headsets, you can't ever figure out who they're talking to, and they're always louder than everyone else in the room.
  13. Lounge Troll

Nah I hate the idiots who almost run me off the road or almost sideswipe me because they are texting while driving. Honestly I think the penalties for texting while driving should be greater than DUI. At least the drunk driving is paying attention to the road!
    Codeinated
  15. Meatball Surgeon

My big gripe is that no one can remember a phone number now because of cellphones (or should i say the address books within). I remember most phone numbers, even ones i haven't dialed in ages, but my wife can't even tell me her phone number!

Maybe i just worked for the phone company for to long and got used to remembering 12 digit numbers....
  17. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

It actually freaks some people out that you can give them phone numbers without having to look them up in the phone's address book
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  19. Meatball Surgeon

Yeah, they look at you like you just pulled a rabbit out of your pocket. and you can make thier jaw hit the floor if you know more than 3 numbers.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Advanced Web Dev
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have two mobile broadband enabled devices. First and foremost, I have my mobile phone, a Nokia E71.

When I'm on a bus, or a waiting room, or somewhere else where I will be bored as soon as I'm done reading what is on the walls, I immeditely whip out my mobile, and read the news. No cost, no paper, and it all fits in my hand. It costs me £5 a month, a newspaper every day costs more than my contract does per month (£25).

So, I'm saving money, and it doesn't take up loads of space on the bus, which is rude to those around me.

Then I have my mobile USB modem, for my laptop or PC. It serves dual purposes. When my landline internet goes down for whatever reason, I can go mobile right away; always connected. In my life, that is important. Not for everyone, but it is for me.

Then, when I travel to a relatives house, who doesn't have/let me use the internet, I will get out my laptop and mobile broadband and get done what needs to done.

The mobile modem costs £15 a month.

In all, I'm spending £20 a month to be constantly connected, yet I'm saving £25 a month on newspaper costs.

Mobile broadband saves me money and is incredibly convinient.^^

PS. It also means I can check my bank anywhere, it's so much more convinient than having to find a cash terminal.
  23. Type Cast Exception

I can still remember old friends' phone numbers from my childhood. Numbers I haven't called in almost 30 years.

It took three months after our office move, however, before I could remember my own damned work number. :-)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  25. Null Pointer Exception

I remember a couple of years ago, they were talking about passing a new law about using a cell phone in the car if your under 18. (I don't know if this ever happened or not), anyway the law would state that if your under 18 you can't talk on your cell phone while driving UNLESS your talking to your parents.

Could you imagine having to be a cop to pull someone over for this?

Who are you talking to?
    My Mom
    (whew got out of that ticket!)
  27. Lounge Troll

Ban them period in vehicles. If you want to use them pull over. They have an ordinance in my hometown on it. Most people can't drive as it is. Another distraction is just making things a lot more dangerous.
    Codeinated
  29. Type Cast Exception

It's governed by state law. Many states, including California, ban hand held cell phones but you can talk if you have a bluetooth or other hands free device.

Still I find that whenever someone nearly runs over me as I'm crossing with the right of way at a crosswalk that the person more often than not is holding a phone to their skull.

Don't text and try to operate a train either ...
    medialint.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo