1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Mute Embedded YouTube Videos

I'm not sure where I'm supposed to post this as it is not directly related to any programing language (?). I've been scouring the web looking for a solution to this problem, either starting with YouTube or by other means. I want every person who visits the page not to hear the audio unless the un - mute the video player, while also having the video auto play be set to 1. Is this possible?

I've tried setting parameters like "volume" and passing stuff through the URL, but without any documentation on this, any guessing I do has a very very low probability of ever working.

Any constructive help would be great! Thanks!

C
  3. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Have you tried looking into javascript? I dont have much experience with it but I know that its client side (yes to the browser) so maaaaybe there is something to change the volume. I believe the youTube videos are flash embedded as well so perhaps you can write a flash wrapper around this and adjust the volume that way. Good Luck.
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded
  5. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I use flash block so this is really easy: I have to unblock it. But one the client side I think we can all agree that allowing JavaScript to adjust your sound card settings on a whim is a very bad thing that must not be allowed to happen. So that's out. A remaining concept that's still alive is the flash wrapper.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by ctyler86
    but without any documentation on this
    Here's your documentation ...

Comments on this post

• Matt1776 agrees : whiiiiiiiizzzzzz..... BANG! ;0)
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  9. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yeah I browsed through that this morning, I did not see any documentation on adjusting the sound settings. I will look into this flash wrapper though! Thanks for the feedback, if I find a solution I'll be sure to post back.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo