Results: What do you think of .name domains? 

Voters
22 You may not vote on this poll

• What's the point
    40.91%
  • Gotta have one
    4.55%
  • Maybe I will, maybe I won't
    36.36%
  • Never, no way, no how
    18.18%
  1. No Profile Picture
    myOstrich Internet
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What do you think of .name domans?

We've seen a major run on .name pre-registrations in recent days. I'm curious what you think of the domain, and what you would use it for if you had one.

-t
  3. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    What's the point? I can live with .net and .org just fine, but if I want something 'weird' I can get kg sk am ru etc, .name only makes site's url more difficult to remeber.
    And you know I mean that.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

It makes sense. .name is supposed to be used for personal websites, which really don't belong under .com, .org or any of the other national domains. So I could have (now that unicode URL's are legal: www.nęss.name, and it would be so easy to tell people the url of my site: my surname! And if you're looking for someone, search the .name url's... Of course, having a rather rare name like mine can be quite an advantage, no fun to be named Smith
    --
    Regards
    André Nęss

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be having fun
  7. No Profile Picture
    myOstrich Internet

Originally posted by andnaess
    It makes sense. .name is supposed to be used for personal websites, which really don't belong under .com, .org or any of the other national domains. So I could have (now that unicode URL's are legal: www.nęss.name, and it would be so easy to tell people the url of my site: my surname! And if you're looking for someone, search the .name url's... Of course, having a rather rare name like mine can be quite an advantage, no fun to be named Smith
    Not exactly. You can buy the name André.Nęss.name, and wildcard the domain so that they don't need to add the www, but without wildarding your URL would then be www.André.Nęss.name, with a corresponding email address of André@Nęss.name.

Of course I could never type it since for the life of me I can't figure out how to type diacritical marks . But then I probably wouldn't visit your personal site anyway unless I followed a link from somewhere .

We received more pre-registrations last night. Some were pretty interesting. They were definately not registered by individuals, unless the Fantasic Four are really people who had comic books made about them.

Trademark holders still get their names in any dispute, so the guy who got Donald.Duck.Name, and Mickey.Mouse.Name will lose them for sure when Disney wants them back. I wonder why he did not also register Minnie and Daisy?

-t
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Ok I see. Well, the idea of André.Nęss.name was mostly meant for norwegian friends. (Since few others would be able to get the 'ę' right.). The international version would probably be www.Andre.Naess.name... It's not that I'm going to register anything anyway, I don't even have a personal homepage
    --
    Regards
    André Nęss

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be having fun
  11. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

I think .name is a fine idea, but I'm not going to buy any for a couple of reasons- I have a .net of our family name already, and I think .name is a really stupid choice for what it's trying to convey:

In a world where the .tlds actually mean something,

.com -> Commercial entity
    .org -> Non-profit organization
    .net -> Net infrastructure, connectivity, etc.
    .name -> Name?

I'm not a name, I'm a person, or a family. An individual. It doesn't make sense to me to have the .tld be "name", it's like they chose the lamest, most disempowering way to get .tlds for individuals on the net.

I think the .tld should have been something like "per" or "ind" or "fam" to describe what they're really meant to describe.

I also think it's exceedingly lame that trademark holders have say in this .tld. What about all the celebrities that have trademarked thier name? Any peons that share a name with them are screwed.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I really liked the .info tld idea, rather than .name. I liked it so much that I bought two in fact, one for my own cv site and one for a site I run dedicated to an author. It's a fan's news/information site. No commercial content so it's not .com or .co.uk, it's not an organisation etc etc so .info makes perfect sense. And it's not exactly difficult to remember.

Same for my own cv/demo site. If I want to refer potential employers to a site then www.myname.info seems to cover it nicely. It's info about me: contact details, links to my work, sample code etc.

Nah, don't like .name at all but surprised that .info hasn't had more coverage.

n.b. I haven't linked to my .info sites coz they're in a RIGHT mess at the moment
  15. No Profile Picture
    myOstrich Internet

.info names are probably 5% of my registrations right now.

.name pre-registrations are still running at 25% and have been going strong for the past 2 weeks.

The bulk are still .com, but a surprising number of .ca and .cc are also showing up recently.

-t
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ha ha, interesting. Guess I've just misjudged again!

.info ... It's a cult thing.
  19. No Profile Picture
    myOstrich Internet

I don't understand what drives these trends. Today for example more than 30% of the registrations have been .biz.

Did someone run an article that I don't know about?

-t
  21. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Gringo

hehe I wonder how much show.biz would go for I hate it when people buy domains with no plans to use them

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo