1. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Back in the day I had a ticket from New York that I didn't feel was right so I didn't pay it. Then I got a PA license since I lived there. Then New York told me my license was suspended since I never paid the fine. Later I renewed my PA license. Then I got a CA license, which I've had for 15 years or so. No one ever brought up that unpaid NY ticket (certified date: 7/15/1990) the whole time.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  2. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    Back in the day I had a ticket from New York that I didn't feel was right so I didn't pay it. Then I got a PA license...I got a CA license...
    How much you want to bet that the National ID system (which was the initial topic of this thread) or the National Drivers License, will contain a key which goes to a big database somewhere. You won't be able to skip out on tickets like that any more.
  3. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Hey that's a good thing. Keep idiot drivers from going from one state to another.
    Codeinated
  4. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
    How much you want to bet that the National ID system (which was the initial topic of this thread) or the National Drivers License, will contain a key which goes to a big database somewhere. You won't be able to skip out on tickets like that any more.
    That uh, was the point of that story ;-)

But to protest my ticket I would have had to drive 300 miles again, which itself was unjust I thought.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. Contributing User

Originally Posted by medialint
    That uh, was the point of that story ;-)
    But to protest my ticket I would have had to drive 300 miles again, which itself was unjust I thought.
    Good thing you weren't ticked in Virginia these days.
    I wrote to every politician who represents me to rant about the fee structure, and they all, *all of them*, said "I didn't support it"
  6. Null Pointer Exception
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

last time my ID expired and I had to go to the DMV to renew it, i recall spending about 2 hours there. I don't need any more IDs!

if the feds have access to the state issued IDs, then why not just "backup" the DMV's records in a different location in case of a natural (or un natural) disaster (interesting that they did not already do this? isn't that the point of the internet?)

I don't feel like these national IDs would invade my privacy (anymore than it already has been invaded upon). But I think these things are just waste my time, and waste my tax money. I'd rather my tax money go to things that are useful.
  7. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

isn't that the point of the internet?)
    Nope, it's not. The point of the internet is to let anyone, however stupid, say whatever they want. Aren't you glad?
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  8. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by sizablegrin
    Nope, it's not. The point of the internet is to let anyone, however stupid, say whatever they want. Aren't you glad?
    You forgot "in the event of a nuclear war".

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  9. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

In the event of an Armageddon, there may be no surviors, or a few survivors, or a substantial number of survivors.

The long-term survival rate, presuming such an event, will depend upon the reaction of the "dummies" in the society.

The gurus and the cognsenti will always figure a way to rake a personally satisfactory percentage of the gross worldly product, but their contribution to that product will be minimal.

I don't know if leeches think about such things. I suspect not.
  10. Contributing User

Originally Posted by sizablegrin
    In the event of an Armageddon, there may be no surviors, or a few survivors, or a substantial number of survivors.
    I live on a hill that you can see the Washington Monument from. Altho it is blocked by trees, the Pentagon is not far from the Monument, and so a direct hit on the Ground Zero Cafe will send the shock wave to my house, knocking it down.

I've never wasted any time thinking about past nuke Armageddon.
  11. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Precisely the reason for my abandoning South Ft. Meyer, as well as Suitland.

Plausible scenarios for the destruction of the entire human race (if not the planet) have been a part of my 67 years.

That may be why it takes so long to marshall us old fogeys against the evils of such things as unbridled imperialism and global warming.
  12. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

there exists also the peril that the 'new' is the 'old' redressed, and if it didn't do it then ... then ...

never thought I'd see then ... then ... typed, dammit, that's twice
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  13. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Kennedy, having been assassinated, is a de facto hero. The only thing the man did that I truly admired, however, was back Khrushchev down over those missiles headed for Cuba. The involuntary extension of my enlistment for a year was definitely worth it.

Even if I had decided to redneck it in Muleshoe, TX for the rest of my life, those ICBMs would have been only 1800 miles away. Not that our single traffic light would have been a target, mind you, but Alamogordo was a mere 250 miles up the road.
  14. Back after 2 years!
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by fishtoprecords
    Good thing you weren't ticked in Virginia these days.
    I wrote to every politician who represents me to rant about the fee structure, and they all, *all of them*, said "I didn't support it"
    I think I'm the only Virginia resident that actually supports the tickets. If someone breaks the law a dozen times and all the petty tickets in the world make no difference to them, they should be ticketed $1,000. Maybe it will stick then...
  15. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

... let me see, there's one against the rest of the population, but it still gets voted through, .. in an alleged democracy ... at least it's all in your mind ...
    $1,000, it's only ascii
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo