1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Oh well

Originally Posted by medialint
    California DMV already has my mug shot and thumb print. What would an international ID card do for me besides let me buy beer in Virginia without getting quite so funny a look? Any reason why I should be more concerned about a National ID than, say, my existing passport or driving license?
    I agree with medialint in that I don't see a big difference between this and a passport. It's not like I have anything to hide or that the government can't find out everything about me on Facebook.
  2. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

A governments job is not to rule its people, and I've no idea where that idea started, but it seems that it's understood that way nowadays ... think again

If your information is accessible to government, who's to say that now it's in the government's hands that it's safe ... thinks back to CD's and laptops being left on tubes and trains in England, not too long ago ...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  3. No Profile Picture

Would you be required to carry these cards on your person at all times? No thanks. I like the freedom of being able to walk down the street without the authorities stopping me to ask, "Papers?"

Comments on this post

• AdamPI disagrees : So I take it you don't have a drivers license? State ID? Social Security Card? (assuming you live in the U.S.)
  4. No Profile Picture

Yeah, I agree to some point, that you must have proper documents. But again, I do not support more new documents other than driving license, SSC, etc. People might make it confusing sometimes.
  5. Contributing User

The way I view this is...

A Federal ID could have the following items encoded within it:

- Pic of me (profile, and frontal view)
    - name
    - Age (listing the month and year, but not show the day)
    - home address
    - phone number(s) home, cell
    - Blood type
    - height, weight, eye color, hair color
    - Race classification (white, black, etc)
    - US citizen or what clasification (Work visa, Green card)
    - Married or not
    - Driver license and class in what state
    - do you wear glasses or contacts
    - any marks or other physical features
    - dental records (exrays to show the teeth)
    - SSN listed in the data but not on the card
    - religion classification
    - In case of emergency contact name and number

Maybe some other useful information....like
    - Gun permits (types like hand gun, riffle, shotgun)
    - Occupation
    - Prior military service
    - Security Clearance

Those are some of the bits I would think would work well, you might have tie ins to the banking cards as well too, so you can use the card like a MAC/Debt card as well too.

I think the real fear is FEAR itself and the unknown. I have nothing to hide so for me there is no reason or concern to hide things, others seen villians behind every shadow and etc. If everyone had one of these it would make it easy to id anyone. Oh I think some are afraid it would have a tracking chip within it and track your every move and etc.
  6. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

"I have nothing to hide" ... except for my ID card which now has more than needed for identity theft ...
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  7. Contributing User

You do understand because of the freedom of information acts you can dig into anyone and discover all sorts of things if you know how and where to look.
  8. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

freedom of information does not mean what you think it means, at least in Europe
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  9. Type Cast Exception

I think the real fear is FEAR itself and the unknown. I have nothing to hide so for me there is no reason or concern to hide things, others seen villians behind every shadow and etc. If everyone had one of these it would make it easy to id anyone. Oh I think some are afraid it would have a tracking chip within it and track your every move and etc.
    There is no reason to have religion on your list whatsoever and every reason why one would want to hide it (if, say, one was a muslim then they would be an immediate target). You get pulled over and the State Trooper says "oh, an atheist ... well let's put the fear of God into this punk". Nothing to fear here.

The same goes for most of the rest of that list, but I wanted to call that out in particular.

As for the tracking chip, if you carry any sort of modern technology around with you (tablet, smart phone) you've already embedded it willingly.

Do I care about the Feds? Not so much. I'm more upset that Target has targeted me for the past three years without being any sort of opt in member (nor holding their store credit card) they know I have a child, his gender, and his approximate age. And they shouldn't.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  10. Contributing User

The "religion" is only listed so that if a person is injured and near death they can get the correct religious type there for the person.

With anything, there is always chance of possible abuse of power or knowledge. That is why we have laws to deal with such issues and a legal system to handle such matters.

One needs to be willing to be open and despite the resistance to it, the Federal ID is coming. Like it or not, it will be here soon enough and Big Brother will be all knowing and seeing too!!!
  11. Type Cast Exception

I'm sure if anyone wanted to they could deduce I was a spiritual independent (I believe in a God* but not religion). I don't make any effort to hide this any more than I do my identity when I do Internet commentary.

But I don't have to be willing and open to anything. In fact, I'll exercise whatever voting power I have to ensure it doesn't happen.

* may or may not be singular, or subject to adjectives as normally attributed to nouns
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  12. Contributing User

To each their own, and I am not saying you shouldn't vote your feelings on any matter regardless.

Also note God preaches Faith, it is mankind that created Religion. Having the belief in some supreme power is the key, not what flavor your following to that belief.
  13. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by ByGoneYrs
    The way I view this is...

A Federal ID could have the following items encoded within it:

- Pic of me (profile, and frontal view)
    - name
    - Age (listing the month and year, but not show the day)
    - home address
    - phone number(s) home, cell
    - Blood type
    - height, weight, eye color, hair color
    - Race classification (white, black, etc)
    - US citizen or what clasification (Work visa, Green card)
    - Married or not
    - Driver license and class in what state
    - do you wear glasses or contacts
    - any marks or other physical features
    - dental records (exrays to show the teeth)
    - SSN listed in the data but not on the card
    - religion classification
    - In case of emergency contact name and number

Maybe some other useful information....like
    - Gun permits (types like hand gun, riffle, shotgun)
    - Occupation
    - Prior military service
    - Security Clearance

Those are some of the bits I would think would work well, you might have tie ins to the banking cards as well too, so you can use the card like a MAC/Debt card as well too.

Some of these bits of information are just too much work to keep updated. For instance, glasses or contacts -- do I need to call the federal agency if I decide to stop wearing glasses and start wearing contacts. What if I don't like my contacts and switch back to glasses? Similarly, hair color is a tricky one. My wife is a natural straw blonde, but she's dyed her hair in other colors (red, brown etc.). I've put blue and blond streaks in my hair and for about a year, the color changed with every haircut I got. My current weight is at least 50% more than what my driver's license states I weigh. What if I decide to join a different church? Do I have to call a federal agency to update my information every couple of months or so?

There are other things that don't always fit right. For instance, race classification. I never get why people call President Obama an African American when he's clearly half Caucasian. Personally, I always state my race as "Human" whenever the question comes up in surveys, which is actually the closest to the truth.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  14. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
    I always state my race as "Human" whenever the question comes up in surveys, which is actually the closest to the truth.
    It's your dominant half, that's for sure.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  15. Contributing User

Well since we are all genic construct of the Aliens that screwed with our genes a long time ago...I call myself a Earther...LOL!!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo