1. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by kuza55
    Watch out the hats are a conspiracy in themselves! http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/
    lol... that's hilarious.
    The helmets amplify frequency bands that coincide with those allocated to the US government between 1.2 Ghz and 1.4 Ghz. According to the FCC, These bands are supposedly reserved for ''radio location'' (ie, GPS), and other communications with satellites (see, for example, [3]). The 2.6 Ghz band coincides with mobile phone technology. Though not affiliated by government, these bands are at the hands of multinational corporations.
    Now I know what frequency to use on my Death Followed By Slight Discomfort Ray (TM)!!!

---John Holmes...
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  3. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

RFID - Will they be used as a replacement for military ID tags? If so will they be allowed in the field? do the math ...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. It's only wrong if you're caught....
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    Now I know what frequency to use on my Death Followed By Slight Discomfort Ray (TM)!!!
    And I know what freuencies to use on myDeath By Elevated Paranoia Ray (TM)
  7. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    RFID - Will they be used as a replacement for military ID tags? If so will they be allowed in the field? do the math ...
    What math? We already have systems that show the the locations of troops, vehicles, enemy, etc. Our systems are designed securely, though, and RFID solutions need some more time to mature before they can be used in this way.

If they did come out with an RFID ID card, we simply wouldn't take it with us. Duh.

---John Holmes...
  9. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

and be picked up by anally retentive MP's ... again your call
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  11. It's only wrong if you're caught....

If they did come out with an RFID ID card, we simply wouldn't take it with us. Duh.
    I think he meant ID in the sense of a replacement of dog tags (do they still use those? I have no idea, if not then whatever they use now) so they can identify people, otherwise I really don't see what the point of it is.....

And if they were implemented they could be passive devices which only respond to a signal that is unique to the ID, or something, I don't see why they would start using it in the first place, so yeah....YHBT....
  13. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    and be picked up by anally retentive MP's ... again your call
    No, I'm saying we wouldn't take it on a deployment. We'd just make it SOP that it's left behind and replaced with our own "deployment ID" or something. Too easy.

Back here in the states, how are you going to tell a soldier's RFID signal from any other signal?

dog tags (do they still use those?
    Yeah, but I think they're more tradition now than anything else. We have smart cards with chips in 'em that we use as IDs. You can log onto computers with 'em, sign and encrypt email with the signatures on 'em, etc. We already have the "national ID" system, so that's why I don't see the big deal.

---John Holmes...
    Last edited by Sepodati; December 27th, 2005 at 07:35 PM.
  15. It's only wrong if you're caught....

Yeah, but I think they're more tradition now than anything else. We have smart cards with chips in 'em that we use as IDs. You can log onto computers with 'em, sign and encrypt email with the signatures on 'em, etc. We already have the "national ID" system, so that's why I don't see the big deal.
    You see, I really have nothing against something like that, nor can I see any reason (unless it was required that you had it at all time, then I'd be against it) that you wouldn't want it, because everyone who has a passport has something registered with the govt., I would think that most people who have something against it would be arguing along the lines of 'where does it stop', because while I have nothing against the cards, I would have something against 'having' to have them, or them having RFID chips, you get the idea.....Another big deal could be cost, sure $120 Mill, but how much is that as a eprcentage, you don't want to be wasting money the govt. doesn't have to waste.....and you don't want to waste money in general either...
  17. Type Cast Exception

my Death Followed By Slight Discomfort Ray (TM)!!!
    One of the more interesting names for a band/online persona.

I know this guy. He's a deep thinker: http://baptistdeathray.com/
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  19. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by kuza55
    'where does it stop'
    It stops when it crosses the line for enough people. If we worried about the "what-ifs" and "how-fars" for everything proposed, we'd get nowhere.

As much as I personally hate it, though, we do need people to object to everything. We really do need all of these privacy freaks and tin hat wearing weirdos to object to this stuff so that the line isn't crossed. Everything balances out, imo.

---John Holmes...

Comments on this post

• Yawmark agrees
  21. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

sep you military?

The dog tags still serve their original purpose, corpse identification. But those military ID cards are in the hands of not just active duty military, they're in the hands of national guard, reservists, and dependants. And yes they all have smart chips in them now. They have for more than a decade.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  23. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by medialint
    I know this guy. He's a deep thinker: http://baptistdeathray.com/
    Pffffft... He lost me when he started bitching about Happy Holidays. Hmm... what's nicer? A greeting that welcomes all celebrations during this season or one that singles out a specific celebration? Not that either is bad, but one includes everyone, so what's wrong with it? Say what you want to say... I left a comment on his site saying the same. I'm sure he'll thank you for the incoming link!

---John Holmes...
  25. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

You should have read the whole article. He's actually pissed at the people complaining about Happy Holidays. Not the people who are saying Happy Holidays. For different reasons, but still good ones.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  27. Type Cast Exception

Pffffft... He lost me when he started bitching about Happy Holidays.
    I never said I agree with him politically, just couldn't help thinking of him when I saw a death ray reference :-)

Anyway ... RFID is a concern, but so are GPS trackers and all them nifty satellites that let you google a photo of my car. If I was really paranoid I would have killed myself ten years ago.

Funny thing is when I first really heard about RFID a few years ago it was presented as a positive thing. It was in a saxophone forum and these guys were all psyched to be able to conceal these things on their $5,000 horns so they could track them down easier if they were stolen. It wasn't the first time I had heard of it, per se, but the first time I ever really gave it more than a passing thought.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  29. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by crownjewel82
    You should have read the whole article. He's actually pissed at the people complaining about Happy Holidays. Not the people who are saying Happy Holidays. For different reasons, but still good ones.
    Yeah, I went back and read it again. I agree that if I were a Christian, I wouldn't want the stores associating Christ or Christmas with their greedy actions during the season.

---John Holmes...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo