Page 6 of 16 First ... 45678 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Walrus Gramps
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by crownjewel82
    Once again though. All they need for that is census records. Or social security records. They don't need a national ID card to do that. I'd rather spend my energy fighting against those who would misuse that information than the existence of that information. I'd rather fight against listening in on citizens without a warrant. I'd rather fight against the patriot act. I'd rather fight against secret courts and secret prisoners.
    I'm not particularly concerned about Big Brother having information about me. They already know anything they want to. My concern is how that information would be made available to pretty much anybody with the introduction of a national ID.
    All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way by Eric S. Raymond
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by MasterMinds
    I am 100% FOR NATIONAL ID CARDS - so long as they include a citizen ID number.
    In due time your ID number will come from your IPv6 block that was assigned to you at birth. You'll use IPv6 addresses like you do serial numbers now, along with any networked devices you own.

---John Holmes...

Comments on this post

• BeetleJuice agrees
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  5. Lurker - in your bushes
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

papier bitte!

I've lived with a pasport/ID card my whole life (It's mandatory in Belgium) and it never realy posed any day-to-day problems for me. That might change now that I have received a chip-enhanced-ID card, thanks Mr Booosh. (Electronic ID is now required for us to come 'aboard').

Anyway, one positive thing about ID cards is that soon, instead of traveling with my ID, passport, driver's license and other various identifiers... it will all be stacked in one single card (credit card size) ... that'll look much better in my wallet.
    Saintaw

pending.
  7. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by mvantuyl
    I'm not particularly concerned about Big Brother having information about me. They already know anything they want to. My concern is how that information would be made available to pretty much anybody with the introduction of a national ID.
    Credit Union. That's all I'm gonna say.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  9. Providing fuel for space ships

Originally Posted by saintaw
    Anyway, one positive thing about ID cards is that soon, instead of traveling with my ID, passport, driver's license and other various identifiers... it will all be stacked in one single card (credit card size) ... that'll look much better in my wallet.
    Yeah, but when you lose that one card, you're pretty much screwed for everything. At least if they're seperate it wouldn't be that bad to lose one of them.
  11. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

Yea but if they're all in one wallet. If you loose the whole wallet you lost all of them.
  13. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

all eggs one basket, it won't matter much as Sep suggests your IPV6 block will be enough, and you can have that tattoed on an intimate part of your anatomy in an encrypted form ... will make STI's very bothersome though
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  15. Providing fuel for space ships

Yea but if they're all in one wallet. If you loose the whole wallet you lost all of them.
    That's why you don't keep them all together.
  17. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

Ok lets see here.

Drivers Lisence: in wallet
    Social Security card: in Safe or in wallet (especially if you're doing something that requires a secondary id like getting a job)
    Military ID Card: if you've got one it's in your wallet and it's got your social on it
    Student ID card: wallet
    Credit Cards: wallet
    Bank Cards: wallet

Hell the only thing we don't put in our wallets is our passport and that's because most of us don't need/have them.
  19. Crypto-Con

Ok lets see here.

Social Security card: in Safe or in wallet (especially if you're doing something that requires a secondary id like getting a job)
    Military ID Card: if you've got one it's in your wallet and it's got your social on it
    Student ID card: wallet
    Credit Cards: wallet

Hell the only thing we don't put in our wallets is our passport and that's because most of us don't need/have them.
    Social Security card: not in my wallet unless I explicitly need it
    Military ID Card: none
    Student ID card: not in wallet
    Credit Cards: (none)
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  21. Type Cast Exception

It's not advised to carry your social security card/number in your wallet. Don't need it and if someone steals or "finds" your wallet that's just one more piece of info they can use to become "you" while maxing out your credit cards.

Although for me a wallet seems a pretty safe place for anything. The last time I lost a wallet it was forceably removed from me in West Philadelphia, about 18 years ago ...
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  23. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

You're just one of those naturally lucky people ... it'd have been dreadful if your NATID card was in your wallet then.

[joke]Do you think that you drew this attack upon yourself, what with your citizenshippery 'n' all [/joke]
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  25. a rootin', tootin', shootin'
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    Jeez, might as well go to the local police station and confess to random crimes.
    In Britain you can now be arrested on suspicion of committing a crime, any crime, that is, not just serious ones mandating sentences 5 years or longer. therefore you could in theory be jailed on suspicion of littering. no proof is required, just that they "think" you might have or be about to litter.*

*talk about a police state
    while ((code="javascript").substring(0,4)=="java") code!="java"

while ((gratitude="thanks in advance").substring(0,6)=="thanks") gratitude!="thanks"
  27. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

what's the act jbot?

/edit ... It used to be called "Being Irish with intent ..."
    Last edited by Axweildr; January 5th, 2006 at 07:55 AM.
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  29. a rootin', tootin', shootin'
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

while ((code="javascript").substring(0,4)=="java") code!="java"

while ((gratitude="thanks in advance").substring(0,6)=="thanks") gratitude!="thanks"
Page 6 of 16 First ... 45678 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo