Page 7 of 16 First ... 56789 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by The Telegraph
    Hazel Blears, the Home Office minister, said: "It is vital that the police are equipped with the powers they need to enable them to do their jobs properly and effectively. The powers need to be updated to reflect modern policing priorities and the changing nature of criminal activity.

"We need to maintain the crucial balance between the powers of the police and an individual's rights.

"The introduction of a single, rationalised power of arrest simplifies arrest powers and requires the police officer to consider the necessity of the arrest.
    And I thought the yanks had it bad ... it's all going to end in tears ...
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  3. Providing fuel for space ships

Originally Posted by Ax's quote above
    We need to maintain the crucial balance between the powers of the police and an individual's rights.
    Hardly an individuals rights if you get banged up for 5 years for suspicion of creating a crime huh.
  5. a rootin', tootin', shootin'
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Something evil this way cometh...

Originally Posted by Official UK Govt. Career Politicial Sook
    The introduction of a single, rationalised power of arrest simplifies arrest powers and requires the police officer to consider the necessity of the arrest.
    No, it doesn't make them more considerate. It just enables them to make more arrests, particularly if you happen to be a convenient scapegoat or are falsely accused (rather like those Afghani taxi drivers living up the lowlife in one Cuban resort just because someone had an old grudge against them).

btw: It is just me or do Blears' eyes look like the Black Oil eyes of the baddies in old X-Files episodes. I think we should be told!!! Crikey, even the bottox overdose makes her look more alien.
    while ((code="javascript").substring(0,4)=="java") code!="java"

while ((gratitude="thanks in advance").substring(0,6)=="thanks") gratitude!="thanks"
  7. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

Let's be honest ... this comes in after Jean de Menzes is shot, unarmed, seven times in the head, and they talk about balance

Sir Robert Peel would love to see his legacy now, where the Bow St Runners are now the lackeys of the goverment as opposed to protecting citizens, they are now in a position to oppress
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  9. a rootin', tootin', shootin'
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

All that's happening is the silent introduction of a dictatorship. A few more "terra" incidents and democracy will prolly be suspended. However, people won't be able to fight back lawfully because the Govt will have removed all the legal means of resistance. Talking (thoughtcrime) about the illegality of some legislation will arouse suspicions of "terra-ism" and therefore land you in the clink faster than it takes you to whistle the Z-cars tune. Even this post is arguably seditious because I openly question the motives for removing so much of our freedoms. It's not the terrorists who hate our freedoms, it's the government, police and military because they restrict their bahviour and stop them oppressing us. Removing civil liberties while at the same time incrementing the penalties spells one thing - tyranny.
    while ((code="javascript").substring(0,4)=="java") code!="java"

while ((gratitude="thanks in advance").substring(0,6)=="thanks") gratitude!="thanks"
  11. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

It all comes down to voting for people who will preserve civil liberties. Honestly I'm praying that this paranoia blows over much like the paranoia that existed after WWII finally blew over.

But, so as long as I have the right to vote in this country, (which may not be too much longer considering I'm planning to try and get canadian citizenship) I'll continue to vote for people and laws that protect us without sacrificing freedom. I'll keep signing petitions and I'll keep writing letters. That's all any of us can really do.

Comments on this post

• Catfish Jones agrees : Canada welcomes you with open arms... and a $900 bill. Glad to hear that's changing this election, regardless of who wins.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  13. finding balance
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by crownjewel82
    It all comes down to voting for people who will preserve civil liberties. Honestly I'm praying that this paranoia blows over much like the paranoia that existed after WWII finally blew over.

But, so as long as I have the right to vote in this country, (which may not be too much longer considering I'm planning to try and get canadian citizenship) I'll continue to vote for people and laws that protect us without sacrificing freedom. I'll keep signing petitions and I'll keep writing letters. That's all any of us can really do.
    It's not all that any of us can really do... but I value what freedoms I have left, so I'll say no more. See you in Canada.
    Ride that train of thought out all the way. See where it takes you. Then, think about if that's where you want to be.
  15. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

Originally Posted by ryjyd
    It's not all that any of us can really do...
    Unless you intend to run for public office or become a lobbyist or go on protest marches, it pretty much is.
  17. finding balance
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

They think bigger... why aren't you? They already have the presidencies planned out for the next ten years, along with the means to ensure the plan runs smoothly. Where's your big plan. Move? Run? Hide? For how long? Sadly... I'm in the same boat. Here's an oar, let's start rowing.
    Ride that train of thought out all the way. See where it takes you. Then, think about if that's where you want to be.
  18. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

Honestly, I don't have a big plan. I'm not the big plan person. I do what I can to help the people with the big plans. I also do what I feel is best for me at the present time. My desire to move north isn't entirely based on today's political climate. I've wanted to not live in America for many years. I've never been entirely sure of where. It's sort of an "anywhere but here mentality". Don't get me wrong, I love my country. And right now I can't think of anything that would make me want to renounce my citizenship. But I just don't want to be here.

Just to make my point clearer, I always felt more at home when I lived in the Netherlands for 2 years than anywhere I've lived in America. Maybe it's the 4 years I lived in Germany before that.
  19. Type Cast Exception

America is a big place. Lots of hiding places. I've traveled a lot and not found a place I'd really rather live.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  20. Dev Shed Ninja
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

People are trying to battle the crimes that are happeneing now, to the people that do the crimes. While punishing them, they are not looking at the source of the crimes... mostly it resolves around the notion: "Nothing is my fault".

A kid who steals when they're young and doesn't get a nice spanking out of it to teach them a lesson, or they don't get a punishment fit enough to drive the point home, is just going to steal again.

We're too light on criminals, and criminals have too many rights.

So what does the government do? Tries to watch everyone instead of INTERVENE. THey wait for the poop to hit the fan rather than stand infront of the poop / turn off the fan. It's reactive instead of pro-active... but hey... i'm just a young guy so what do I know.
    killer ninja coding monkeys do exist!
    My Website |My Blog | My Projects
  21. Just another guy
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by ryjyd
    They think bigger... why aren't you? They already have the presidencies planned out for the next ten years, along with the means to ensure the plan runs smoothly.
    Planned out for the next 10 years huh? Paranoid much?
    --Dave--

U2kgSG9jIExlZ2VyZSBTY2lzLCBOaW1pdW0gRXJ1ZGl0aW9uaXMgSGFiZXM=

My hobby: collecting US coins
  22. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

You know I keep hearing that we're too light on criminals. What exactly do you suggest? 10 years for pickpocketing. 20 for assault. Maybe we should just execute everyone guilty of killing someone regardless of whether it's self defense or not.

And rights. What do you think is too much? Miranda. The fourth ammendment. Oh I know, the fifth ammendment. You know I thought that too. We should just start beating confessions out of people.

Look man, we're already holding citizens for more than 3 years without even charging them. What more do you want? Public executions, floggings, what?

As far as the government making stupid mistakes, I'm with you on that one. I just don't get why the nation isn't in uproar. Are people really that thick that they don't understand that this crap isn't doing a damm thing.
  23. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

Paranoia isn't a dirty word, it's a clinical condition ... how many decent chess players aren't paranoid ... as with all things ... in moderation
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    BIT COINS ANYONE
Page 7 of 16 First ... 56789 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo