Page 8 of 16 First ... 678910 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Crypto-Con
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    Paranoia isn't a dirty word, it's a clinical condition ... how many decent chess players aren't paranoid ... as with all things ... in moderation
    Security is survival of the most paranoid.
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  2. Lurker - in your bushes
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by medialint
    It's not advised to carry your social security card/number in your wallet. Don't need it and if someone steals or "finds" your wallet that's just one more piece of info they can use to become "you" while maxing out your credit cards.
    one thing I would like to add to my previous note about this:

Now, instead of 5 telephone numbers (STOPCARD numbers mainly) i will need to remember only one...so, should I loose it. I would have a new citizen ID within 24 hours. I haven't tested this, and hope no to... but it looks like a good thing to me.

I mean c'mon... in Korea and Japan (I think) you can now make payments directly with your mobile... surely, this points out that we will have to carry less paper over time... a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
    Saintaw

pending.
  3. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

less paper over time ... didn't Enron use that trick
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  4. Providing fuel for space ships

Originally Posted by B-Con
    Security is survival of the most paranoid.
    Did you get that from pmam !?

Comments on this post

• Grafmix agrees : haw, haw - meanie. ;)
  5. Crypto-Con

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Did you get that from **** !?
    That poor guy has got to hate our guts by now

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees : For compassion and not mentioning HIS name w00 ..t J/K ;)
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  6. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

An important life's lesson

That which you hold most dear, don't talk about it ... it'll probably wear off soon enough
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  7. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Every country should have National ID cards. The US is a Federal government not a state confederacy. Relying on each state for quality identification seems backwards to me.
  8. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

Award for great way to start devshed career.
    Edit: Man, I wish I could see my first post.
    Last edited by gimp; October 1st, 2007 at 07:54 PM.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  9. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by gimp
    Award for great way to start devshed career.
    Edit: Man, I wish I could see my first post.
    Agreed.
    Every country should have National ID cards. The US is a Federal government not a state confederacy. Relying on each state for quality identification seems backwards to me.
    I wonder what country you're from and how much American Civics you've had because a state confederacy is pretty damm close to what the US federal government actually is.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  10. Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

The US is a Federal government not a state confederacy
    Care to elaborate at length on the differences between a federation and a confederation?

I don't think, though, that dictionary definitions are going to hack it.

A war was fought (ostensibly) over the right of a member to secede, yet one state was admitted with the right to divide into up to 5 distinct states, if the state's populace desired to do so. I think a membership drive must have been going on, but no one, once in, gets out.
    Write no code whose complexity leaves you wondering what the hell you did.
    Politically Incorrect DaWei on Pointers Grumpy on Exceptions
  11. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by sizablegrin
    A war was fought (ostensibly) over the right of a member to secede, yet one state was admitted with the right to divide into up to 5 distinct states, if the state's populace desired to do so.
    Yeah, I think before a national ID card, we need to figure out our nation. There are many regions where a splitting a state would be beneficial. NYC is an excellent example, as I'm sure Mr. Grin agrees. Split them off so they stop messing up taxes and legislation for the rest of the state. California could be split a couple ways: Northern Cali wanted to be its own state anyways, Southern Cali could be the State of Baja, and the San Andreas Fault could be another border, just in case that part breaks off ya'know.

Personally, I'm not opposed to National ID cards, so long as they are provided for us. They could then carry state endorsements for driving privileges, etc.
  12. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

No one remembers the war movies where people had to surrender their 'papers' to the authorities on demand. It's just another ploy designed to reinstill fear on a regular basis.
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

In my country (Malta) we do have id cards, and we have had them for a very long time now! I agree with it and feel it is a way to show who you are to anyone! Also as much as I know it is already ilegal in my country to walk out your home without any means of representation (id card, driving licence, etc). You could get stoped until someone gives them your id. If you loose your id then you have to inform them as soon as you can.

Regards,
    Sim085
  14. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by TheJim01
    Yeah, I think before a national ID card, we need to figure out our nation. There are many regions where a splitting a state would be beneficial. NYC is an excellent example, as I'm sure Mr. Grin agrees. Split them off so they stop messing up taxes and legislation for the rest of the state. California could be split a couple ways: Northern Cali wanted to be its own state anyways, Southern Cali could be the State of Baja, and the San Andreas Fault could be another border, just in case that part breaks off ya'know.

Personally, I'm not opposed to National ID cards, so long as they are provided for us. They could then carry state endorsements for driving privileges, etc.
    Have the FBI already come to get you?

Regards,
    Sim085
  15. Prisoner of the Sun

Thumbs down

I'm not comfortable with the type or amount of information the UK government is planning to store:
    Every place that sells alcohol or cigarettes, every post office, every pharmacy, and every Bank will have an National Identity Register Card Terminal, into which your card can be swiped to check your identity. Each time this happens, a record is made at the NIR of the time and place that the Card was presented. This means for example, that there will be a government record of every time you withdraw more than £99 at your branch of NatWest, who now demand ID for these transactions. Every time you have to prove that you are over 18, your card will be swiped, and a record made at the NIR. Restaurants and off licenses will demand that your card is swiped so that each receipt shows that they sold alcohol to someone over 18, and that this was proved by the access to the NIR, indemnifying them from prosecution.

Many companies all run very detailed databases of their own. They will be allowed access to the NIR, just as every other business will be. This means that each of these entities will be able to store your unique number in their database, and place all your travel, phone records, driving activities and detailed shopping habits under your unique NIR number. These databases, which can easily fit on a storage device the size of your hand, will be sold to third parties either legally or illegally. It will then be possible for a non-governmental entity to create a detailed dossier of all your activities. Certainly, the government will have clandestine access to all of them, meaning that they will have a complete record of all your movements, from how much and when you withdraw from your bank account to what medications you are taking, down to the level of what sort of bread you eat - all accessible via a single unique number in a central database.
    http://www.ellisctaylor.com/headline...april2006.html
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
Page 8 of 16 First ... 678910 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo