Page 9 of 16 First ... 7891011 ... Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

That sounds scary. It also sounds like a paranoid exaguration.
    Dear God. What is it like in your funny little brains? It must be so boring.
  2. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by crownjewel82
    That sounds scary. It also sounds like a paranoid exaguration.
    No kidding. Although someone that paranoid has got to know the government already has that information on them...
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  3. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    No kidding. Although someone that paranoid has got to know the government already has that information on them...
    Pretty much. Hell, I have that much information on them.
  4. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

Actually, CJ, in this country, if you had that much information, it wouldn't take long to get you chucked in jail. And there are 'allegedly' some workings afoot to pull some government departments on what they can actually collect.
    I have a CSO (Central Statistics Office) agent call to the house every 3-6 months to determine changes over time, and she recently asked me to give her my PRSI number, and I declined. She informed me I was well within my rights to do so, but that she personally was getting about 50% of request fulfilled, and she stores it on her laptop, real secure. Other agents were getting 10-15% mostly from elderly respondents.

For personal information to be gathered, there must be a purpose, and there must be safeguards.

What is a national id number? What do you think a primary key might be useful for?
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

I don't know about you guys, but we already have national ID numbers.

The question regarding national ID cards and nationaly linked databases isn't what information is collected, how it's secured, or how easily it can be linked together. Those issues already exist. If you don't think they do then you're dummber than a sack of sh!t.

Seriously, every bit of information you could think of to protect is already out there and readily available to anyone with a big enough check, above average hacking skills, or a search warrant. It's better to use the national ID card debate to say ok we'll take the national ID cards if you put the best available security on our information and the rules regarding what this information can and can't be used for are firmly established.
  6. No Profile Picture
    Self-banned
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    What is a national id number? What do you think a primary key might be useful for?
    For when they gie us our jump-suits and barcodes, and little packets of green-ish food-substance.
  7. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

It's better to use the national ID card debate to say ok we'll take the national ID cards if you put the best available security on our information and the rules regarding what this information can and can't be used for are firmly established.
    Oh yeah, that's exactly what I'd use it for
    Mandatory carried ID cards, and penalties for not carrying, that is the debate, and it's just around the corner
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  8. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Agreed.
    I wonder what country you're from and how much American Civics you've had because a state confederacy is pretty damm close to what the US federal government actually is.
    I am from the US and I have a BA in political science. The importance is very different, enough to cause a civil war. In a federal system the majority of judicial and legislative power rest in the unity of regions or states. In a confederal system the majority of judicial and legislative power and final decision is in the state government. The logic should follow that our ID card should represent our greatest established sovereignty, meaning that in a confederal system the state should issue each ID card but in a federal system the ID should be represented by the federal government. So my point was that it only makes sense for there to be one federal ID card, rather than a different drivers license for each state.
  9. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

I think you're missing the point, we're talking about making it easier for people (federal, confederal and commercial interests) to keep more and more data about us and our daily lives, which is an invasion of privacy, not to mention downright rude.
    --Ax
    Handmade Irish Jewellery

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  10. No Profile Picture

Crownjewl82: What do you think of gun ownership for Britons? Would you feel your civil liberties were more protected if you and any Briton without a bad criminal record could own guns?
  11. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

Your logic is flawed. The US government was established in a manner that was a compromise between big and small government. Federal ID cards aren't necessary because we have a pure federal system. Reason being that we don't have a pure federal system. As you clearly pointed out, we had a civil war over it. But just because the north won doesn't mean that the argument is truly settled. It doesn't mean that the argument will ever be settled.

Crownjewl82: What do you think of gun ownership for Britons? Would you feel your civil liberties were more protected if you and any Briton without a bad criminal record could own guns?
    Gun ownership is irrelevant. See Canada for proof. What is relevant is gun responsibility and effective law enforcement.

Oh BTW. I'm not a Brit.
  12. Crypto-Con

It doesn't mean that the argument will ever be settled.
    Regardless of whether the argument is settle, more likely than not, we'll have the answer handed to us at the rate things are going.

It all comes down to voting for people who will preserve civil liberties. Honestly I'm praying that this paranoia blows over much like the paranoia that existed after WWII finally blew over.
    Not if Rudy Giuliani has anything to say about it.
    Last edited by B-Con; October 4th, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  13. No Profile Picture
    rebel with a cause

Can't watch the video cause I'm at work. But Giuliani's whole campaign is "Hey look I was the mayor of NYC during 9/11. Vote Me. Vote Me." Did you see that stunt with the "Contribute 9.11 for Giuliani" thing? Yea. Pissed off a lot of firefighters that did.

Comments on this post

• Ebot agrees : He is a big, one trick pony
    • B-Con agrees : Yep. You'd think 9/11 was an ongoing event, not a one-time event, listening to him.
  14. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

I actually like the guy, but the proper time to have the candidate debate is about eight months from now, and not in this thread or this subforum (throw it in the outhouse!)
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by TheJim01
    For when they gie us our jump-suits and barcodes, and little packets of green-ish food-substance.
    SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
Page 9 of 16 First ... 7891011 ... Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo