1. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Well sorry. I was going to rep you up agains and it says I have to spread it, whatever that means.
    Codeinated
  2. Crypto-Con
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

sorry, don't take it personally, it's just that I've hyper competitive by nature (I cannot stress to you how competitive I naturally am, it's pathetic) and I hate seeing people screw with statistics in anything and make them, in any way, non-reflective of what they're (the stats) purpose is....

that outburt was unwarrented, my complete apologies

Comments on this post

• Markisdee disagrees : screwing with stats...don't take it personally
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  3. Banned (not really)

wait... is this another bet to see if you can get sympathy $rep++? How much was the bet this time? Double or nothing? Sweet...

---John Holmes...
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  4. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Oh dang I hope you never collect data from those fake surveys that I wrote random stuff.
    Codeinated
  5. Crypto-Con

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    wait... is this another bet to see if you can get sympathy $rep++? How much was the bet this time? Double or nothing? Sweet...
    lol, not a chance, the guy won't even pay for the last bet.... and if I did make a play for $rep++, it's be a whole lot more than just an appology

I just appologized to someone after flaming him unneccessarily...
    Last edited by B-Con; February 23rd, 2005 at 11:14 PM.
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  6. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Rep comments, unable to access

I do show to be properly logged in.

I've been trying to give out some props and a dig or two only to find the links don't take me where I want to go. If I click on the scales, the link goes to 'http://forums.devshed.com/#'.

In the same vein, if I mouseover the little green blob, instead of telling me the poster is 'on the road to mandalay' or whatever, it does nothing. A check of the source reveals there is no title attribute on the image. There is alt text, but a conformant browser doesn't generate a tooltip for alt. Since this worked for me a few days ago….

I have just read through 26 pages on this thread hoping that it was a general oopsy, but I see that reps are being passed about today and a check of my cp shows that I got one yesterday. So, I guess it's just me. But why?

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

My html and css workshop, demos and tutorials.
    Ask a better question, get a better answer.
  7. Banned (not really)

The link for the scales is right. JavaScript should pop up a window to give the rep in, though. Maybe the pop up is being blocked or you're having JavaScript issues?

---John Holmes...
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  8. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    The link for the scales is right. JavaScript should pop up a window to give the rep in, though. Maybe the pop up is being blocked or you're having JavaScript issues?

---John Holmes...
    It appears the script files are not being loaded. I get these errors onloading;

Error: vBulletin_init is not defined
    Source File: http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?p=996405#post996405
    Line: 5970

Error: fetch_object is not defined
    Source File: http://forums.devshed.com/clientscript/vbulletin_quickreply.js
    Line: 19

Error: vbmenu_register is not defined
    Source File: http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?p=996405#post996405
    Line: 5024

etc. and this error when clicking on the scales;

Error: reputation is not defined

This is all in Firefox/Win. Mozilla/Win, Firefox/Linux, and Mozilla/Linux all work just fine, thank you.

In FF/Win, javascript is enabled and works on embedded scripts. I even enabled pop-ups, which shouldn't make a difference, and it didn't.

Any suggestions as to what might be to blame? I cannot think of any configuration changes that I've made, and it was working recently. Obviously something has changed; I just have no clue.

cheers,

gary
    There are those who manage to build a web site without knowing what they're doing; thereby proving to themselves they do, indeed, know what they're doing.

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Any suggestions as to what might be to blame? I cannot think of any configuration changes that I've made, and it was working recently. Obviously something has changed; I just have no clue.
    Check your adblocker.

Comments on this post

• kk5st agrees : You're either a genius or you've made the same dumb mistake I did.
  10. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

The ad blocker was it. I apparently got carried away while killing the ad related scripts. Thanks, I appreciate your suggestion.

cheers,

gary

11. Thanks Johnny Hart (BC) R.I.P.

Now that I can actually participate in the rep thing again, I'll add a comment or three.

I do like the idea of rating the quality of posts. It helps to determine the credibility of the poster. I'd know that if a high repped poster suggests something and I can't make it work, that it's likely my own shortcoming. I'd be less inclined to sluff it off.

The sliding values of the attaboys is likely a Good Thing™, but as, I believe, it was Not a Goddess, mentioned, there are a number of people whose posts are primarily aimed at helping the newbies. The attaboy from a newbie is pretty much worthless. I think those of us who have some "Reputation Power" should make a point of giving an attaboy when we run across an accurate and helpful post. Or, an Oh Sh*t when when the poster gives unhelpful or wrong advice.

The belt thing started off as an interesting distraction, became an unadorned distraction, and is now annoying. Will it fade into becoming just part of the noise? *shrug*

cheers,

gary

12. (retired)

Yes - I've been giving out rep liberally to good answers (well.. and the funny ones in the lounge). Use 'em to encourage informative answers. It's all about positive reinforcement (I *am* a psych major).

Maybe the newbies could have 1 rep instead of 0?

--Simon

Comments on this post

• munkfish agrees : Really annoying having lots of newbies rep you up but you get nothing from it...
  13. sleeping guru
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by SimonGreenhill
    I am supposed to be writing my thesis. If I'm posting here, I am just procrastinating. Yell at me to get back to work.
    GET BACK TO WORK --- you did ask
  14. Retired

So now we can see those who really do not have anything esle to do.
    Board Spent time - congrats to the chief - over one week already

Cheers,
    Jamie

>_ skiFFie ? | Twitter

Let the might of your compassion arise to bring a quick end
    to the flowing stream of the blood and tears .....
    Please hear my anguished words of truth.

Originally Posted by jabba_29
    So now we can see those who really do not have anything esle to do.
    Board Spent time - congrats to the chief - over one week already
    yikes, a whole week on the forums already i don't have that much spare time!!!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo