So, I am trying to decide on a cross-platfrom API/TK/whatever-you-like-to-call-it, and wow, I am at the point where I have to lean back and just laugh.
A few years ago, I made a nice little personal contact database in MySQL and wrote a front-end for it in C++ using Qt 3.something on my Slackware Linux system. It worked, and it was fast. I never compiled it on Windoze. Well now I'm working with the latter, trying to get ramped back up on this stuff, and having major issues with Qt 4.8.3 and Qt Creator. I built a program, but simply connecting to the database, doing nothing else, then disconnecting will cause the program to crash on exit.
Being very frustrated at not even getting example code to work in Qt, I started looking into Java, and learned I had to decide whether to Swing, or to SWT. Then I found out about the recently uncovered major vulnerability here: http://www.informationweek.com/secu...n-plu/240007985
So, I'm not crazy on the idea of using that now. Also, I'd rather have native code anyway. I don't like the sluggishness of Java.
So then I looked at using eC, with the Ecere IDE. It's a really fast IDE, I'll give it that. What I can't give it credit for is working... at all. I used their installer that includes the IDE and MinGW environment. There was little to nothing in the way of configuration directions, and I got no errors or warnings. But, when creating and running the simple little hello world code from "The Ecere Tao of Programming", the IDE just crashes. Sometimes it crashes when building, sometimes when cleaning, and sometimes not at all, but when the program runs, there is no output. And then the IDE crashes.
I tried installing Qt Creator on my personal Gentoo Linux system, but there are umpteen "blocked" packages for some reason, and being a new Gentoo user, I don't know what that means or what to do about it. A quick web search reveals no quick fix, and it was too late to start digging into the why and how of correcting that.
So like I said, I just have to sit back and laugh at this point. I have been at this for days
and still haven't managed to get far enough in my own code to be the cause of any of these problems. Even the example code I am trying to test out doesn't work right. Sometimes, you just have to walk away, and sometimes, you just don't have time to.
Oh well, my rant is over. At least I got to vent a bit.