1. K-Mart-ian Legend
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The odd state I find my company in now

I've been experiencing some weird things here at the company I work for. First some background on myself. I worked many years in technical support, and also as a PHP/MySQL developer. I have also worked in large companies dealing with Implementation (aka inventory control, repair and mass-imaging of new PCs), and also worked with 2 other people on a migration project for about 3k machines. I have also dealt very closely with software distribution systems such as Altiris, and came to a very good understanding of how a company should work in the IT department. Unfortunately, that job was on a contract.

Now I have this job here, and I am back to the poorly-run IT department type of company. I got hired for tech support (I really needed a job) and in 6 months i get promoted to developer. I end up working on miscellaneous stuff that any schmo can figure out. I get promised the task to re-writing our poorly coded website (all flat files bleh) but that never happens. They recognise my previous install experience and put me on an InstallShield project, which is good for me.

But now they suddenly want me to code a new function into their main software product, which is written in C++. I haven't a clue to how to code in C++. I can figure out what it is doing but that is about it. Its due today, but aside from planning out possible attacks to the solution, I haven't been able to do much. They gave me a week to learn C++ and do this project. Technically I had more time to learn C++ but they kept giving me other things to do that I didn't get a chance to do it until when I got this project...

I don't think I am a disgruntled employee, just confused, but maybe one day I can become one... hmmm...

So they take me, a web developer, software tester and install (albeit network install) designer and put on desktop development.

They take the existing desktop developer and put him on web development.

Now they frighten me because they are going in the direction of creating remote drive images. And they are not doing it right. This is something I know a bit about. They don't even have SMS or Altiris or any other solution like that installed. They are making universal disk images. They want to reimage our file server and installer terminal servers. I can't see this ending up well.

This is just a rant I suppose. I posted it here because most other forums I post at likely won't know what I am talking about.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Don't get me started..

I'm a developer doing all the domain admin. I know just enough to be
    bloody dangerous. Fortunately, I know that much so I am very careful.
  5. המבין יבין
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Have you let _them_ know how you feel? You should.
    . . . What is Firefox?
    . . . . . . What is Linux?
    . . . . . . . . . . . What is Love?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You just have to keep trying your best, and always be on the lookout for a better job. There might be someone there you can bring your concerns to and who will be able to re-arrange things to some degree and hopefully make things better, at least as far as your current C++ assignment.

I have done a fair amount of contracting work, along with some "permanent" positions over the years and have found that most organizations have serious problems in their IT/Information systems/software development/whatever management. When I take on a job, I try my best to interview the company, rather than just have them interview me... I try to find out about their philosophy about software development, how they treat their developers, their success rate for finishing working apps, etc. on top of just the normal job stuff like vacations, benefits, raise and bonus schedules, etc.

Decisions get made for a number of reasons unrelated to "what is best". Personal stuff, political stuff, lack of knowledge, tight deadlines, mandates from upper management, and so on all drive decisions made in companies and has little to do with allowing developers to do quality work.

Most common management techniques don't work well for management of software development. There are tons of industry studies and research projects that have been done or are being done to try to get a handle on this stuff. Overall, I have seen more nonsense and off the wall decisions made than I could have ever imagined - most (almost all) of the projects I have worked on were poorly managed and never came close to the potential that could have been realized if the team had been allowed to do their jobs unhampered.

Right now I am running a small team in a large organization where I am mostly using Agile methodology practices. The main line of development which the rest of the company is concerned with is using a convoluted waterfall approach and is constantly behind schedule - they are always drowning in documentation, with object models constantly outdated, and with requirements changes throwing the team out of whack, and whole sections of development being discarded because of misunderstandings between phases and so on. No one knows that the little team I am on is using Agile practices except the actual team members and a few isolated managers who are on board with it, and so we get to just continue on our "incidental" projects without interference and actually deliver most of our work on time and in a working state. Of course, sometime soon they will realize that Agile actually works and they'll shut us down.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by dotancohen
    Have you let _them_ know how you feel? You should.
    Of course. The end result was that I now do development.
    As well
  11. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I hope it's reflected in your salary or bonus if you get them.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  13. Caress me down

I saw the title and automatically thought "New Jersey." Sorry just a random thought about the first thing that came into my head. And yes, New Jersey is very odd.
    so you think you can tell heaven from hell
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Wow, a week to learn C++. People take a whole semester of C++ and still have no clue what they are doing after. You will quickly need to understand OOP.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by devks
    Wow, a week to learn C++. People take a whole semester of C++ and still have no clue what they are doing after. You will quickly need to understand OOP.
    Yes. It took me a week just to learn how to spell C++.

Comments on this post

• medialint agrees : Same here, but I'm an expert on Oops!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo