Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
    #16
  1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    This is turning in to jusy plain CRAZYNESS... Excuse me if I should a bit harsh but it due to a medical problem and I appologize in advance...

    I posed this first in the "PHP programming" page and then relized it was wrong so I posted in in the "HTML programming" page since it's more of a question of having IFRAMES updated by other IFRAMES but now I find this post still in 2 different forums and both don't show visitors or replies, the just show "-". Check "HTML programming" and "JavaScript Development" which now being in 2 different forums is what got me in throuble in the first place... I'm new to this site and I don't want to cause any problems since I know mst of the people WHOLE lot smarter than me... All I need is an answer to an IFRAM problem or some othjer "EASY" that if a comdition come up in one frame that all the other frames will be updated. I know this will work the I what if I put a physical link like < HREF.... target="frame">Click</A> what I wan the other frames updated with a "status" program running once wvwer second checking time and other database entried and if it hits a status I want all the IFRAMES updated when that haoppens and everything stops and every IFRAME will says "END".

    I'm been building internet sites for about 14 years starting with Perl then PHP and never claim to be an expert programmer, (Actually I SUCH at programming) but I come up with great ideas and create multi-million dollar producing sites but haven't done a major site in years due to my illness and I'm broke but have a great idea to get back to making money so I can get proper health care and if I don;t get this site (even in a basic) workinbg form by the end of the month the Florida Department of Education Vocational Rehabilitayion program and Disibility Right Florida will drop any and all of my limited medical coverage. This is EXTREMELY URGENT for me to get working and I'm running out of time. I wanted this working by Friday but that's now looking good right now...

    Like I said, any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED...

    Thanks...


    Originally Posted by requinix
    I didn't move it, but I assume it was moved because of the "automatically" requirement: you more-or-less have to use JavaScript to do it.
  2. #17
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA (verifiably)
    Posts
    20,122
    Rep Power
    4258
    If the thread title says "Moved:" before it in the forum listing, then the thread was moved from that forum to another one. I moved your thread from the HTML forum to the JavaScript forum because what you want to do can only be done with JavaScript.

    I'm sorry, but you need much more technical help than I'm willing to give for free. However, I will make two brief suggestions in that regard. The first is that you read some tutorials on "AJAX" (asynchronous JavaScript and XML). The second is that two pages that used to be on QuirksMode.org is probably the best place for learning how to use iframes with JavaScript.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200810232...rameintro.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/200810172...js/iframe.html

    I also have a hard time believing that someone with as much experience as you claim to have would use nested iframes like that.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

    Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

    Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  4. #18
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    I think I'm finally figuring out this site a bit. Next to the posting I had on the HTML page says "moved" when it doesn't say when but click the link and it goes to the Java page so I guess that's where there are no number on the right side column.

    Now, still conmfused why its on the Java page since this is a question on IFRAMES and how to update with out using <A HREF... target="IFRAME_page">update</a> There MUST be a what to have the "status (that updates every second) so if a condition event happens that the parrent IFRAME gets updated automatically. I see who to do it manually if you click an <a.... target=fream>link</a> but there MUST be some outher way to update an IFREAME other than use of the <A HREG...> tag.

    I "HATE" to be a pain in the @$$ but...
    This is my ONLY hold up right now between state health care and NO health care... This is serious... Please HELP...

    Thanks...

    Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    If the thread title says "Moved:" before it in the forum listing, then the thread was moved from that forum to another one. I moved your thread from the HTML forum to the JavaScript forum because what you want to do can only be done with JavaScript.

    I'm sorry, but you need much more technical help than I'm willing to give for free. However, I will make two brief suggestions in that regard. The first is that you read some tutorials on "AJAX" (asynchronous JavaScript and XML). The second is that two pages that used to be on QuirksMode.org is probably the best place for learning how to use iframes with JavaScript.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200810232...rameintro.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/200810172...js/iframe.html

    I also have a hard time believing that someone with as much experience as you claim to have would use nested iframes like that.
  6. #19
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA (verifiably)
    Posts
    20,122
    Rep Power
    4258
    You said "if a condition event happens" that means that you need JavaScript. HTML is just a markup language it does not have the capabilities you need by itself. JavaScript is a client-side scripting language and provides capabilities like what you're looking for.

    Why should I continue to bother replying to you when you don't seem to listen to a lot of what I and the other moderators are telling you?
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

    Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

    Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  8. #20
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    OK... Maybe it written so it can me understood but my REAL question is how to update other IFRAMES in another is updated. This is what I wrote:

    --------------------------------------------------------
    I have a "main" IFRAME and inside I have a "status" IFRAME using a jave page refresh and PHP code inside but that's not the problem. There also 2 other IFRAMEs in the "main" IFRAME that alll need to be updated if a condition in the "status" IFRAME is found.
    --------------------------------------------------------

    It says I'm using a jave page refresh (so you don't get that click on a meta refresh on IE. And it coges onthat I have 2 other IFRAMES that need to be updated depending on the condition of the "status" frame. This post has EVERYTHING to do with IFRAMES and HTML nad just about nothng to do wit java or javascript other that the page update, the rest of the page is PHP testing conditions but the real question is updating other IFRAMES depending on the condition of the IFRAME "status". I hope this explains what I'm looking for.


    Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    You said "if a condition event happens" that means that you need JavaScript. HTML is just a markup language it does not have the capabilities you need by itself. JavaScript is a client-side scripting language and provides capabilities like what you're looking for.

    Why should I continue to bother replying to you when you don't seem to listen to a lot of what I and the other moderators are telling you?
  10. #21
  11. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    10,692
    Rep Power
    6351
    Maybe it written so it can me understood but my REAL question is how to update other IFRAMES in another is updated.
    Much, if not all, of your problem stems from your trouble with English. Is it not your first language? You say you live in florida...but that sentence above makes no sense. Are they just horrendous typos that you're neglecting to fix?

    To address the question I think you're asking: JAVASCRIPT Seriously, if what you meant to say up there was "how do you update an iframe if another one is updated" the answer is, and always will be, with javascript. Period, end of discussion. Nobody cares what your assumptions were, the answer is javascript. Nobody cares if you want the answer to be HTML, there is no HTML answer.

    To address your other problems:
    1) nested iframes are a terrible idea, mostly because you run into problems like this, but also because they break navigation, bookmarking, link sharing, and flow.
    2) Java and JavaScript are entirely separate languages, stop using both words to refer to the same thing. Though, technically this doesn't count because you said "Jave."
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

    "The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

    Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  12. #22
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    OK... Again SORRY...

    I have a serious illness and think I mention it, and it's hard for me to type because in addition to my illness I also need surgery on both hands so SORRY for my typing skills, hope you don't beat on ALL disabled people like this... That said...

    Have a GREAT day...

    Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Much, if not all, of your problem stems from your trouble with English. Is it not your first language? You say you live in florida...but that sentence above makes no sense. Are they just horrendous typos that you're neglecting to fix?

    To address the question I think you're asking: JAVASCRIPT Seriously, if what you meant to say up there was "how do you update an iframe if another one is updated" the answer is, and always will be, with javascript. Period, end of discussion. Nobody cares what your assumptions were, the answer is javascript. Nobody cares if you want the answer to be HTML, there is no HTML answer.

    To address your other problems:
    1) nested iframes are a terrible idea, mostly because you run into problems like this, but also because they break navigation, bookmarking, link sharing, and flow.
    2) Java and JavaScript are entirely separate languages, stop using both words to refer to the same thing. Though, technically this doesn't count because you said "Jave."
  14. #23
  15. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    10,692
    Rep Power
    6351
    This is a technical forum. Regardless of any disabilities you may have, mental or physical, if you ask how to do something in java and you mean javascript, we cannot help you. Your questions are malformed, you're asking about the wrong language, and you flip out when we try to correct you. Take your time and correct your posts so they make sense and they're properly spelled. That's the very first step to getting high-quality help (for free, from experts).
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

    "The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

    Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  16. #24
  17. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA (verifiably)
    Posts
    20,122
    Rep Power
    4258
    Originally Posted by in_titusville
    I have a serious illness and think I mention it, and it's hard for me to type because in addition to my illness I also need surgery on both hands so SORRY for my typing skills, hope you don't beat on ALL disabled people like this... That said...
    Lots of typos make it difficult for us to understand what you're saying. I suggest you look to see if you can pick up a copy of "Dragon Naturally Speaking" for a low price (I don't know which edition would be best).

    Look, this is part of the Internet, which is a place where some young women are really creepy 40- or 50-something men. Please don't take this the wrong way, but my point is that experience tells us that we have to consider the possibility that you may be less than truthful.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

    Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

    Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  18. #25
  19. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    OK... I see you have a problem with me using IFRAMES, so in this message I will leave it out and domeone PLEASE give me a suggestion...


    I have on mane section of a page with infor that if I do a page refreash will cause the info to blink. Inside this main section of the page is 3 sub pages with information. Niw I need to monitor time and database infor (since there will be mutipple users and they can change the pages) I want to update these pages if time or database info is changed.

    There, I didn't use IFRAME but tried to get my point across. Also see the simlple picture I made at:
    http://special-fx.com/photos/iframe_graphic.jpg

    Thanks to any and all that can help me on this, it REALLY means a lot to me...
  20. #26
  21. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    0
    Do I need to post papers from the Florida Department of Education, Vocational Rehab program, or Disibility Right Florida, or my neurologist to prove what I say it the truth... I don't see what that was to do with ansering a question and helping me with a programming problem that someone on this site may have alreay do so I don't need to reinvent the wheel... All I' looking for is a little help, not a bashing on my typing problems...

    Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Look, this is part of the Internet, which is a place where some young women are really creepy 40- or 50-something men. Please don't take this the wrong way, but my point is that experience tells us that we have to consider the possibility that you may be less than truthful.
  22. #27
  23. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    USA (verifiably)
    Posts
    20,122
    Rep Power
    4258
    The thing is that we've already given you "a little help". It seems that you need a lot of help.

    We might be able to help you better if you explain some more: What were you trying to achieve by using multiple iframes (excluding the "status" one) anyway?

    Originally Posted by in_titusville
    Do I need to post papers from the Florida Department of Education, Vocational Rehab program, or Disibility Right Florida, or my neurologist to prove what I say it the truth...
    No, that wouldn't help. Besides not being very relevant, we don't really have a way to verify them anyway.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

    Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

    Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  24. #28
  25. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    10,692
    Rep Power
    6351
    And the help that we've attempted to give you is being ignored. Remember earlier today when I said to spell your posts properly so we can read them and give you good help?
    OK... I see you have a problem with me using IFRAMES, so in this message I will leave it out and domeone PLEASE give me a suggestion...


    I have on mane section of a page with infor that if I do a page refreash will cause the info to blink. Inside this main section of the page is 3 sub pages with information. Niw I need to monitor time and database infor
    ...and then I stopped reading.

    You know what I did read: YOUR ANSWER IS JAVASCRIPT

    If you have something on any webpage, and you want it to perform an action without refreshing the page, the answer is javascript. You might also want to look into AJAX if you need to fetch data from the server. Since I didn't read your entire misshapen post, I don't know if that's what you really need or not.

    Seriously, I've said "period, end of discussion" once before in this thread, now I'm saying it again and closing the thread. Period, end of discussion. Post further questions in the javascript section.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

    "The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

    Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo