Thread: opinions please

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

opinions please

even though economy is not doing all that well, I feel it's time for me to look for a new job (at least I want to try to find a descent one...). But before I do that, I have to redesign my current web site. It sucks so much I try not to show it to people and really have no idea how I got my current job having a site like that.
    Anyway, the idea is very simple: all I want there is my resume, portfolio and contact info.
    I am not that great (or, should I say not good at all) in graphics, so I am trying to keep it very simple. Here's what I have sketched in photoshop. I don't care about the colors or fonts at the moment. All I care about is the layout. What do you think? It seems to be the best one I thought of so far, but I have 2 problems with it:
    1. how is the home page supposed to look? I do not want any pictures of myself on the site and the main things about it will be the resume and the portfolio - so they shpould speek for me. In my current web site, I have no text at all on the home page - just navigation at the center of it. So if the first page has no text - what does it have? My hubby suggested having some fragments of html code move across the page (4-6 may be, not too many) and then a "welcome" appear. I am not sure if that is such a great idea. What do you think?
    If I just put, say, my name on it with the "Enter" link (or something similar - keeping it simple), where does that "enter" link take them? To the resume? To portfolio? Where?
    If the home page should remain the same design and layout as the rest of the pages, then, what should it say/contain?
    2. only after I looked at my design again, I realised that it is almost a mirrow image of www.orbusinc.com (I did the coding, but the design was not mine). Lines, navigation on the side, and a header on top of the horizontal line - you can see it clearly if you click on "Products". My hubby doesn't think it really is apparent, I am not sure about that. Since I will be listing this site on my resume, should I come up with another design for my own site, or is it ok?

Any input/ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks.

P.S. Hope, I posted in the right place.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The Photoshop design looks fine to me. Nice and clean and obvious to a harassed future employer who doesn't want to spend an hour trying to track down your CV. Which brings us on to the splash page idea. Don't do it. They're fast becoming the 21st Century equivalent of tiled backgrounds in the 90s - irritating and pointless! If you have a great idea for an animation or splash page then you can always link to it from your home page as part of your portfolio/work examples.

Don't think your new design would be considered a copy of the orbus site at all. Plenty different.

Main thing is to have some up-to-date links, contact details and resume - in HTML and Word format for download. Those sort of sites do need regular maintenance though - it's amazing how quickly the links disappear or the design dates badly. If it's design you're trying to show off, rather than a heavily coded site in action, then it's probably worth taking a copy of the relevant page and putting it on your own server before it disappears or is redesigned. I had a link to a site I'd done a lot of work on, but a couple of years later it's been completely rebuilt by others. I don't have a copy of my version (not that it matters too much after all this time - but would've been nice).

Happy hunting anyway.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey dang65,
    thanks a lot for the input.
    It is kind of weird to have a web site without a home page.., but I have no idea what my home page should be like. Do you think that if they come to the resume or portfolio right away (without coming to a usual home - index.htm - page) it will be fine (and if yes, which one would be better - portfolio or resume)?

Thanks a lot.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's not a question of not having a homepage. Just make the homepage clear and easy to navigate - links to examples of your work, your CV etc should be fine.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo