Results: What OS (type) do you prefer for programming? 

Voters
20 You may not vote on this poll

• Windows
    10  50.00%
  • Mac OS
    0%
  • Linux
    10  50.00%
  • Other (specify)
    0%
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

the default text editor in Linux makes notepad++ look like an after school project
    I actually do prefer Notepad++ over Kate and especially over gedit. I'm assuming those are the ones you meant by the defaults? I haven't done hardcore development on Linux in a couple years, but last I remember gedit had substantially fewer features than Notepad++. Kate was at least on-par last time I used it, but I stopped using KDE at 4.0. Supposedly they've unwrecked that train now, but I haven't ventured back yet.

Actually I'm sort of surprised that Mac has zero votes at this point. A lot of developers that I work with seem to be transitioning towards it. Personally I can't stand the behavior of its Windows manager and I don't like Apple, so that transition will never happen for me.

The absolute worst component of Windows though is its terrible console; it is pretty much worthless. When I have stuff to do in a console, I SSH into a remote Linux machine to do it rather than put up with my local console.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; July 28th, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I guess I would have to currently have to say windows just because that where I have experience but I am currently trying to switch over to linux. Little things about windows tick me off, such as backslash for directories and escape characters. And extended newline character '\r\n'. Not related to programming but I don't like how windows gets more restrictive with every release, I remember back with windows xp you tweak different features using resource hacker, even the start button was tweakable. Maybe it still is but most likely nowhere's near as straightforward.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Personally I can't stand the behavior of its Windows manager and I don't like Apple, so that transition will never happen for me.

The absolute worst component of Windows though is its terrible console; it is pretty much worthless. When I have stuff to do in a console, I SSH into a remote Linux machine to do it rather than put up with my local console.
    Absolutely agree with everything here. I tried to develop in Mac and Windows for years each, both were a huge pain.

Not related to programming but I don't like how windows gets more restrictive with every release, I remember back with windows xp you tweak different features using resource hacker, even the start button was tweakable. Maybe it still is but most likely nowhere's near as straightforward.
    Windows doesn't consider its window manager to be separate from the core system, so when they try to lock down the core system to make it more secure, they lock down the GUI as well.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture

I use Linux, and i like it...
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I use Netbeans on Windows for programming.

I have no doubt Linux would be perfectly fine too, but there are other softwares I need at the same time that I can't find on Linux, or if I can I am not bothered enough to switch.

Linux will always be my choice when it comes to servers though.
    Last edited by freak.inside; September 19th, 2013 at 05:51 AM.
    All generalizations are false, including this one. Free hosting
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo