Results: What OS (type) do you prefer for programming? 

Voters
20 You may not vote on this poll

• Windows
    10  50.00%
  • Mac OS
    0%
  • Linux
    10  50.00%
  • Other (specify)
    0%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

What OS do you prefer for programming?

Hello.

What OS do you prefer when programming, for example, in PHP? (or any other language that is cross-platform and doesn't care about which OS you use)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I prefer Linux for programming, but as an employed programmer I actually use Windows (by choice). I voted for Linux anyway because that's what I would choose to use if business reasons didn't make Windows a better choice for me personally.

Mac OS has several UI quirks that annoy me (so does Windows, but I already know how to work around them and I don't know how to work around the ones on Mac), and I like Microsoft as a company more than I like Apple as a company.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; May 23rd, 2013 at 12:40 AM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    I vote Windows because it has the best free C/C++ compiler/debugger I know of, and that's what's truly important to me.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.
  7. Sarcky

Oreo, what business reasons do you have to use windows?

I use linux at work and at home. I prefer it for its easy command-line access, more powerful file functionality, and overall ease of use and customizability.

However, my company uses Citrix GoToMeeting, and that only works on Windows. If I ever have to host a meeting I have to reboot into windows just for that purpose. My windows partition is used about once or twice a month, everything else is in Linux.

Supposedly we're going to start using MSProject, and if that happens I may have to abandon linux. However, we've also begun officially accepting Macs as work machines, so maybe the MS-centric mindset is going away soon.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Oreo, what business reasons do you have to use windows?
    I spend a lot of time in conference calls, and a lot of conference call software either doesn't work at all, is crippled, or is just very buggy on Linux (ex: GoToMeeting, WebEx, Skype) - particularly when it comes to web cams and screen shares.

I also do some development work on an Outlook plugin for one client.

And one of our clients had a windows-only VPN client, and I expect that to happen again in the future.

Also Excel, which is at least one generation ahead of OOo calc in terms of functionality and at least two generations ahead of Google Docs.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. Sarcky

Yeah, gotomeeting is the reason I go into windows. Libre Office calc is powerful enough for my applications, but I rarely do hardcore number crunching in excel, I use it mostly for organization of data, not processing.

Skype for linux is garbage. Though to be fair, so is skype for windows. With the recent expose of skype on ars technica, our company is rapidly working to forbid skype from our machines anyway.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. No Profile Picture

Windows; and only because Notepad++ works on it, and if I get slightly bored, there are always a ton of games I could be enjoying :P
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ONG - Conor
    Windows; and only because Notepad++ works on it, and if I get slightly bored, there are always a ton of games I could be enjoying :P
    You should check out sublime text if you like notepad++ it's free to try forever though every now and then you will get a popup window asking you to buy it. I use it so much I ended up just buying a license.

edit: I tried linking the url to sublime text for you, but since I am still a noob I don't have the privilege yet, though a google search for "sublime text" would suffice.

As for me I've been a linux fanboy since I discovered slackware in high school a few years ago. That is my preferred OS for everything, including programming.
  17. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Windows 7 and Notepad ++ as IDE
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Windows no doubt. For some reason not a lot of engineering programs are for the Mac
  21. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

I would prefer windows always for programming .
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have the need to tailor systems to specific tasks, and this is easiest on Linux for obvious reasons. Linux is also by far the platform with the widest language support available, and where I work there is quite a bit of coding going on in languages that were born outside the Algol family tree (C/C++/Java). A lot of that would be nearly impossible or at least very difficult to do on Windows.

Our clients use a mishmash of systems and coding an application initially on Windows and then porting to Linux or Mac tends to be a lot harder than going the other direction (nearly any prolific library found on Linux has a Windows and Mac port, but the opposite is unfortunately not true). I've come to prefer Qt-based stuff over everything else for this reason (and the huge variety of language bindings).

I sympathize with the conference call issues mentioned above. Luckily enough for us this just isn't an issue (yet). When it becomes one our response will likely be building a new module atop Asterisk or maybe revamping Ekiga (if we need video) -- but I can appreciate that this path isn't for everyone.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I will get bashed for this but I'm loving Windows 8. I've played around with several Linux distro's like CentOS, Ubuntu and the lightweight versions of Ubuntu, and I did have Linux classes in college, but to me, nothing beats Windows. Also, software I use a lot is Spotify, XAMPP, Chrome and Notepad++
  27. Sarcky

Originally Posted by thechooch
    but to me, nothing beats Windows.
    Why? What about Windows do you like?

Originally Posted by thechooch
    Also, software I use a lot is Spotify, XAMPP, Chrome and Notepad++
    All of this is available on Linux. In fact, much of it is there when you install Linux from scratch. Ubuntu COMES WITH Chrome and the default text editor in Linux makes notepad++ look like an after school project. Plus, plenty of free full IDEs available right in the software center, no mucking around with scammy download sites with 16 green "download" buttons, all of them ads.

29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I tend to program in whichever environment makes programming in the language easiest. I use Windows for most of my programming (VS for C++/C#, Eclipse for Java) and I use an Ubuntu VM for coding in C. I like having my main OS Windows because I am able to play most games natively on it.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo