Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The project status thread

I feel the need to brag. So, I made this thread.

Basically, if you're working on a project, and you want people to see your progress, just make a post here.

Me first: I can now walk around on different maps that are linked to each other, I now have an inventory with items and money, and I now have an NPC stationed in the city. I still need to make him be able to sell stuff, but the important thing is his user icon, which took me a while to make. It's not easy writing 'warez' in a 20x20 box.

http://gimps.ath.cx:8080/elements/Map7.html
    Username: bubba
    Password: gump
    Requirements: jre 1.5 (newest stuff from java)
    Instructions: arrow keys to walk, i to view and close the inventory.

If you're not doing anything but your char is moving, then someone else is moving it.
    If you're trying to move and you can't, you're either trying to move into a column or a rock, or there's lag. If there's lag, just wait a bit.
    If it starts blitzing out, that's lag. Just move around and it will go away.
    There are two maps: CITY and MAP, with CITY being to the west of MAP. So, from the paved place, go right to get to the plains and vice versa.

Any comments/bugs? Please no "it's going slow" comments unless you're volunteering to send me two gigs of ram for $5.

[reposted from the lounge]
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  3. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

And, before I go to sleep:

http://gimps.ath.cx:8080/elements/Map8.html

Added: an NPC that actually has a shop (but doesn't sell anything yet), and made the whole thing double buffered
    New Controls: press b when you're at the NPC to view his shop

Bug to fix: If you go to his shop and press the input bar, you can't go back to the normal screen by pressing b
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  5. Type Cast Exception

nothing happens? My java is up to date, I just verified that.

I can't really share my status of ongoing projects. Right now it's mostly trying to grok 100,000 data points of measure and combinations and groupings of such that help enlighten ...
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. (retired)

... I've just started literssy.com which is my super secret new project. Hey, the domain was free

Gimp: (Map8) login doesn't work on Safari OSX - as soon as you move from the first input box on the login form, the cursor is moved back to the first box so you can't type anything in the password box.

& nothing happens on Firefox 1.5.something on OSX.

--Simon
    Last edited by SimonGreenhill; May 17th, 2006 at 10:05 PM.
  9. המבין יבין
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Nothing on my Kubuntu 5.10 box on Firefox 1.5.0.2 with a very current (though maybe not _the_ latest) Java.
    . . . What is Firefox?
    . . . . . . What is Linux?
    . . . . . . . . . . . What is Love?
  11. No Profile Picture
    what do I know about diamonds?
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

it loaded ok for me. but it crashed firefox. not sure if it is justmy system though. i've had issues with firefox and java not playing to well together. it freezes, and then when i close the window the firefox process stays running. it's probably a problem on my end... anyone else have similar problems?

13. המבין יבין

In Opera 8.52 on Kubuntu I can't even get the login screen. The whole screen is black. And yes, I did enable Java.
    . . . What is Firefox?
  15. Off-topic
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Current projects -

Work - too many and too secret to list

Personal

- Updating my CV
    - making a portfolio type site thing
    - sample applications for said site including
    * Word.doc-to-very nice XHTML converter for creating online resumes
    * Photo gallery thing with nice XMLHttpRequest type stuff in it (but degraing perfectly)
    * CMS type thing
    * XMLHttpRequest / php chat application (again but degrading perfectly)
    * Lots of JavaScript/DOM type snippets
    * Continued dev of a php DB abstraction layer I developed
    - Couple of sites for local companys (easy peasy but I am using one to practice my XML/XSLT skills)
    - I am also going to start work on a php framework type thing to make any future freelance work quicker
    - Rig a fridge and beer-tap into the boot of my car
    - Make a 'BBQ in a briefcase' - looks just like a regular briefcase but turns into a BBQ
    - Perfect a caphirina recipe
    - Learn to bend it like Beckham for footy tournament in July
    - Try to get new band together
    - Remember to call my mam on her birthday
    - Teach the cat to walk on his back legs
    - Replace the handlebars, seatpost, tyres and stem on new (2nd hand) bike I just bought
    - Try to get my best mates girlfriend to like football
    - Redecorate bedroom

That's about it for now I think.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

gimp:
    I'd really like to take a look at your game. But the page times out for me.

Also, if you can, you should IMHO try to downgrade your software to Java 1.4. Do you think Java 1.5 has spread widely enough yet? For my own stuff, I am staying with 1.4 still. What do you need 1.5 for anyways?
    I don't think I can run Java 1.5 on my Mac OSX 10.3 at all. Java is part of the OS so I can't just install a different version. There are probably other (older) architectures with similar problems.

My main project is going to be cancelled next week, we're about 40% finished. But a follow up project is waiting already, so no real loss. Let's see how it goes.

My personal projects: Progress is slow. I don't feel like coding at night when I have been coding all day long already...

M.
  19. Providing fuel for space ships

This one I like the idea of :
    Originally Posted by riotx
    Rig a fridge and beer-tap into the boot of my car
    And this one.......good luck with that !
    Originally Posted by riotx
    Try to get my best mates girlfriend to like football
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  21. המבין יבין

Riot's "Teach the cat to walk on his back legs" reminded me of the meerkat we just got rid of. I should make that another personal project- get another meerkat.

As for university projects- I've got an Extended Algebra exam in 2 hours and I'm wasting time on Devshed... I should probably go study...
    . . . What is Firefox?
  23. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

Hmmm....

Yes, for some reason the macs I tried it on at school don't let me do it. It may be because the repaint method has username.requestFocus().

However, it works fine in FF for me. On the other hand, I've never tried it in anything but winxp/win2k. It also works fine in opera and ie.

Also, if you can, you should IMHO try to downgrade your software to Java 1.4. Do you think Java 1.5 has spread widely enough yet? For my own stuff, I am staying with 1.4 still. What do you need 1.5 for anyways?
    I'll try recompiling it with java 1.4. 1.5 is just the newest version, and therefore the defualt.

I don't think I can run Java 1.5 on my Mac OSX 10.3 at all. Java is part of the OS so I can't just install a different version. There are probably other (older) architectures with similar problems.
    That may be the reason it's not working on macs.

I'd really like to take a look at your game. But the page times out for me.
    My stuff is slow, but not that slow. However it wasn't going very well last night since I forgot that I can't run bittorrent without taking up most of the network. Try again, mayhaps?
    Last edited by gimp; May 18th, 2006 at 03:11 PM.

Ches Koblents
  25. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

I apologize for making daily posts here, but my project is really advancing a lot.

What I did today:

(visual) Added the ability to buy stuff from shops, and am almost ready to make the ability to use things from your inventory. Also added another map, and expanded existing maps to 6x6, and added another tile piece, and made the character be transparrent.
    (not visual) Fixed dozens of bugs all over the place (this took up the most time). Also, wrote an extra inventory class. I did about half of the stuff you need for using items from the inventory.

Link: Here.
    Username and password: bubba and gump.
    Updated instructions: arrow keys to walk, i for the inventory, b for the shop when you're at the NPC coords (you can't miss it, in the city). If you're not in the city, just go north or west to get into it. If you can't switch maps, that means you're blocked, so find another square from which to switch maps.

Plans for tomorrow:
    Add the user stats page. Basically, your level and experience and health is displayed here.
    Add the ability to use items. The potions just make your health go up.
    Since it's a Friday, I'll probably have more time to do stuff, so if I finish the above tasks before 9 I'll get a good start [and hopefully finish] on making the battling part of the game. Basically, both maps that are not the city have monsters in them. You don't see them, but they'll randomly attack you. Then, you have to beat the sh*t out of the monster. The monster will drop gold and possibly a potion, and give you exp. The exp is based on your level. The first map (no pond) will have easier monsters, and the second map (pond) will have harder monsters.

By Saturday afternoon, I'll finish battling.

If I have time (and I feel like it), I will make the ability to sign up and create your own accounts. I will also add the ability to switch weps and armor (that is currently unchangable). After that, an NPC that sells armor. Then, the ability to sell items to an NPC. Then, if I do all that and still have time, I'll add another two maps, one with even harder mobs, and one with harder mobs and a boss, and also an NPC that gives you the quest to kill the boss.

Ches Koblents
  27. Providing fuel for space ships

Sounds like it's coming along nicely, Gimp. Won't be long until people are playing your Java games on their compatible mobile phones !
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  29. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Sounds like it's coming along nicely, Gimp. Won't be long until people are playing your Java games on their compatible mobile phones !
    Heh. I doubt it.

Well, Map9 is completely done: Here.
    Instructions: Arrow keys to move, i for inventory, b for buying stuff from the NPC when you're at his location, c for looking at your stats. Buy items by typing in the item you want to buy at the appropriate screen. Use potions from the inventory screen. Once again, username and password: bubba and gump.

Added:
    (visual) Character stats screen, the ability to use potions
    (not visual) lots of bugs fixed, fixed up the database layout, a few more classes, etcetera.

Next: Battles.
    After that: Two more maps with harder mobs and one boss which allows you to 'beat' the game.
    If I feel like it: Account sign up, switching and selling armor and weapons and selling items.

Ches Koblents
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo