1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Pro's and con's of an MIS and a CS degree

The title is exactly what I am looking for, what are the pro's and con's of a degree in each of these fields. See the reason for asking this is I am a older student (non traditional). I am looking for something that I can get a job right out of college. I have two years left out of a 4 year degree. I have done alot in the computer science field. My strengths seem to be more technical. Plus I do have very good management skills. I love to create websites, but I feel like I need more experience in this, I love the design aspect of it too. But when I am looking for internships to gain more experience it seems that I get looked over because of my age. I've almost gotten to the point where I will just start my own company, so I don't have to deal with with these companies.

So thus I want to know what the pro's and con's are or each if you are willing to share. Plus is one more of an advantage to get a degree vs the other.

Plus I have to know that I will get a good opportunities and not get looked over because of my age (being older).

Any insights of the pros and cons would be appreciated, plus feel free to comment on any of the other additional details that I have listed as well.

Also, In this one I am trying to get a side by side comparison of the two (at least mentally). Especially what I am looking for is what are the career avenues that I could take as well, ie the Pro's and Con's of those as well. Such as what are the careers that I could obtain having an MIS degree and what are the careers in the CS field, plus if they are on an incline (such as in need of) or a decline (such as not needed as much).

Please feel free to be as detailed as you would like.

Thanks for the help.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

By MIS are you meaning Management of Information Systems?

If you have experience as a manager as well as experience as a coder, getting MIS (or a MBA) will let you start in the middle, as a dev/IT manager.

If you don't have management experience, you're going to start at the bottom anyway. I have an MIS degree with minors in Logic and CS. I was a dev with no management responsibilities for nearly 10 years before I got a direct report, and that was after I moved out of Development entirely.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

yes, management of information systems. I would say because of me owning my own businesses in the past that I would have some managerial experience. But it was just myself running the businesses, so I don't know if that would qualify as management experience.
  7. Contributing User

My question to you is "what do you want to do, and do you have the skills needed to do it?"

Now if your Resume came to me where I work at an Software company, I would se where you fit in the whole IT world structure.

Now I have a Engineering Degre and I am a System Architect, Database Administrator, Project Manager by skill sets. I have slightly over 20+ yrs of experience, and thus I have worked in Production / DEV / Test / R&D / Beta Test for that total time. So thus I am a SysAdmin, Network Tech (WAN and LAN), Database Administrator, and a Project Manager. I always kept expanding my skills in these areas to make myself much more useful and marketable.

Now I am NOT a Developer or Database Archictect, although those would be extremely useful skills to strengthen for me, BUT one needs to know when to draw the lines. They are a skill set I can work on improving for myself, but where do I see myself? I am 48 almost 49 and I don't want to be doing the real technology work anymore, in otherwords I want to get into management completely and just lead. I am a Data Director as it is, but I want to go higher and lead. It will come in time.

So back to you and your question, you have to tell us what you see yourself doing or what do you want to do. Tell us some more about your existing skills and what courses in IT you will learn in school. Then we can better advise you.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo