Thread: Best Quotes

1. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Understanding is a three-edged sword.
    -- Kosh Naranek

Vakar Ashok, our gun arrays are now fixed on your ship. They will fire the instant you come into range. You will find their power most impressive… for a few seconds.
    -- Susan Ivanova

I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I would look up at your lifeless eyes and wave, like this
    -- Vir Cotto

"No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother." Not for millions…not for glory…not for fame. For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.
    -- Sebastian

I apologize. I'm…sorry. [sighs] I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell!
    -- John Sheridan

G'Quan wrote, "There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender." The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born…in pain.
    -- G'Kar

You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it.
    -- G'Kar
    - Hugh of Borg

The first thing young borg are taught: Keep away from Microsoft software!
  3. Santosh Vaza
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Collected Quotes from Albert Einstein

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."

"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."

"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"The only real valuable thing is intuition."

"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."

"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."

"God is subtle but he is not malicious."

"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."

"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."

"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."

"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it."

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking."

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."

"Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."

"Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity."

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods."

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

"In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep."

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."

"Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves."

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"

"No, this trick won't work...How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

"Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever."

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."
    "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeeded be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
    "Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

"One had to cram all this stuff into one's mind for the examinations, whether one liked it or not. This coercion had such a deterring effect on me that, after I had passed the final examination, I found the consideration of any scientific problems distasteful to me for an entire year."

"...one of the strongest motives that lead men to art and science is escape from everyday life with its painful crudity and hopeless dreariness, from the fetters of one's own ever-shifting desires. A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought."

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder."

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
    (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)
    no one can become perfect by merely ceasing the act
  5. Prisoner of the Sun

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Now you've done it, you get the entire contents of quotes.txt.
    quotes.txt... ? Amateur!

https://docs.google.com/View?id=dgtvxn7k_1hfqbc6g6

And no, I didn't copy anything from Wikiquotes - I've never even heard of it.
    :: My blip.fm tunes :: Web Design Feeds :: Web Dev Feeds :: CheatSheets :: PHP :: MySQL :: 13 Moon FB App.

"All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself - subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream. We are the imaginations of ourselves."
    - Bill Hicks

"Truth is hidden in the subtle nature of the heart of everything, although it is invisible. One cannot see it from inside and neither from the surface. One can only live and experience it."
    - Heart Sutra
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Hugh of Borg

Many B5 quotes
    One of my favourites has to be from Marcus, after a bar fight on the station after her has gone seeking information:

"Bugger, now I'm going to have to wait until someone wakes up"
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  9. Contributing User

I deliberately left the long Sheridan speeches out, they are great but long. But the best ones are from G'Kar - simply because of the way he says them...

No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free.
    -- G'Kar

Anyway, context switch:

Do I get to go first?
    -- Tank Girl (after hearing the next torture technique she's going to face)

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
    -- Bryan, Taken
    - Hugh of Borg

11. Hats off to Mr. Joseph donahue
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Facts are stupid things.
    --Ronald Reagan 40th president of US
  13. Santosh Vaza

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.
    -Shri Krishna to Arjun (Bhagwad geeta).

"Achievement seems to be connected
    with action. Successful men and
    women keep moving. They make
    mistakes, but they don't quit."
    - Conrad Hilton
    Last edited by codeJ; August 11th, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
  15. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Illegitimi non carborundum ... a true great

Comments on this post

• codeJ agrees : i did't find any quotes here !!
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  17. Contributing User

If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians would come out of the gene pool, they'd have stayed up in the trees and written evolution off as a bad idea!
    -- John Sheridan, B5

We're not the droids you're looking for.
    -- Rommie, Andromeda
    - Hugh of Borg

19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Marriage:

Nobody is perfect. What matters is whether you are perfect for each other.
    - Movie: Goodwill Hunting

Many a man in love with a dimple makes a mistake of marrying the whole girl.
    - Stephen Leacock

I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy, for the rest of your life.
    - Anonymous

What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.
    - Leo Tolstoy

Marriage is nature's way of keeping us from fighting with strangers.
    - Alan King.

By all means marry; if you get a good wife you will be happy. If you get a bad one you'll become a philosopher.
    - Socrates

There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic banking. It's called marriage.
    - James Holt McGavran

A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.
    - Honore de Balzac

In every marriage more than a week old, there are grounds for divorce. The trick is to find, and continue to find, grounds for marriage.
    - Robert Anderson

Comments on this post

• codeJ agrees
    Why do we always seek someone, something or some thought? Are we afraid of ourselves?
  21. Eager to learn
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Seems odd how often I need to say this quote to others in my age group

"A true guy doesn't love 500 girls, he loves one girl in 500 different ways"

Comments on this post

• codeJ agrees : superb......... speachless..i remembered my childhood...
    • Arty Ziff agrees
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  23. Santosh Vaza

"You have achieved success if you
    have lived well, laughed often
    and loved much."
    - Author Unknown
  25. Santosh Vaza

Better indeed is knowledge than mechanical practice. Better than knowledge is meditation. But better still is surrender of attachment to results, because there follows immediate peace
    - Sri Krishna to Arjuna (Bhagwad Geeta)
  27. Hats off to Mr. Joseph donahue
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
    --Rich Cook
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by AuburnMathTutor
    I'm a sucker for Dijkstra quotes. I'll probably be back soon with other things along similar lines.

Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally good mastery of one's native tongue is the most vital asset of a competent programmer.
    - Dijkstra

Progress is possible only if we train ourselves to think about programs without thinking of them as pieces of executable code.
    - Dijkstra

Testing can show the presence of errors, but not their absence.
    - Dijkstra
    Here's my personal favorite:

The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether submarines can swim.
    -E. W. Dijkstra

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo