1. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Recommendations on GRE study guides?

Anyone have recommendations on study guides for the GRE? What are good books? Any online courses? I've got about 30 days to get mine taken care of, on top of an already busy schedule. Thanks.

---John Holmes...
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  3. BANDITS 6'0 Clock !
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Not blowing my horn .. but I gave GRE last november and got a 1410 / 1600 ... 790 in math(quant percentile 91) and 620 (verbal percentile 88 ) .

Just a couple of rules to follow :
    #1 No matter what get the first 8-10 questions right, because they decide the hundreds you will be in.

#2 Math is pretty easy they say but I had a tough time with it, its basic algebra just twisted around a little bit.

#3 Vocab section the only place where you can face problems is the section dealing with analogies.

#4 Do not study from the princeton review, its a little easier than the real thing, instead do the kaplan, its a lot tougher and at the time of the real exam GRE will seem easy.

Thats what I did, I didn't study anything but must have given a dozen exams, found out in which sections were my scores lowest, and practiced more on those sections.
    The only Verdict is Vengeance a Vendetta held as a Votive, not in Vain, for the Value and Veracity of such shall one day Vindicate the Vigilant and the Virtuous

Mav RLZ AC/DC RLZ
  5. Recovering Intellectual
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yes, I took the kaplan courses after trying to take the GRE on my own and it improved my score by 175 points. If you dont have time to take the courses you can still purchase their study materials. Having looked at both the princeton review and kaplan stuff, id say I0I is right ..

But anyway .. the GRE and all tests like it are a crock of **** if you ask me ..
    Bugs that go away by themselves come back by themselves
    Beware - your loyalty will not be rewarded
  7. 'fie' on me, allege-dly

http://www.haverford.edu/writingprogram/Asimov.html ... an interesting insight on tests ...

Now can someone tell me what a GRE is?
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  9. Blowing up trees with my mind.
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

You dont need to study, its friggin easy, like any other standard test.

Comments on this post

• Matt1776 disagrees
    • IOI-RLZ disagrees
  11. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by Axweildr
    Now can someone tell me what a GRE is?
    Standardized test for admittance to many graduate level schools. I'm required to take it for a "scholarship" of sorts that I'm applying for.

Thanks for the notes, guys. I'll check out Kaplan.

---John Holmes...

Comments on this post

• Axweildr agrees : good luck with that
    • IOI-RLZ agrees : yeah best of luck.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  13. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I took the GRE exam last year and did pretty well. I must say that take Test Prep classes and books can be really helpful. You should at least take a look at some GRE test study guides for analysis of what the test is like (the types of question in each section, and basic strategies). After that, the absolute best preparation for taking standardized tests given in the GRE test study guides (and I'm REALLY good at taking standardized tests), is taking them. Take as many practice tests as you possibly can.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo