1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How do you refer to a piece of code?

I have recently started to learn coding. When I am stuck, I google for the solution and usually find the solution in one of these forums. However, I always have to switch back and forth between the solution and my code editor.

Is there any better way to do this? Sorry if this a novice question.
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Not sure what exactly it is you want to do? Write code in browser?

If you want to write code at same time you are looking at examples/solution, the best will be to use two screens, having one application on each screen.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by MrFujin
    Not sure what exactly it is you want to do? Write code in browser?

If you want to write code at same time you are looking at examples/solution, the best will be to use two screens, having one application on each screen.
    Yes, you got it right. But, since I have space constraints, I cannot keep a second monitor. So I was looking for alternatives.
  7. Contributing User

Well, you can use two monitors (as many developers do) - for example one above the other if you have "space constraints". However it seems to me that beginner programmer should not surf others code too much - it is important instead to write your own code and use your own head as much as possible

I myself feel not much trouble switching between applications with Alt-Tab.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by rodiongork
    Well, you can use two monitors (as many developers do) - for example one above the other if you have "space constraints". However it seems to me that beginner programmer should not surf others code too much - it is important instead to write your own code and use your own head as much as possible

I myself feel not much trouble switching between applications with Alt-Tab.
    I think you are right, I must use my own brains to the fullest.
  11. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I use three monitors at work, but also note that at least 2 of the 3 modern OSes (Ubuntu and Windows) have hotkeys for "make the current window the entire left/right side of the screen." Taking two windows and putting them side-by-side takes only a few keystrokes or mouse movements. Multiple monitors or browsing the forums on a tablet or something is your best bet however.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  13. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Either alt+tab or I copy/paste the example code and stick it in my IDE as comment code until I'm done referring to it.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo