1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Returning to the IT World (Job Advice)

Hello everyone,

I'm almost 30 years old and for the last 7 years I've been a Police Officer. I'm currently a qualified Detective investigating serious, complex, organised crime.

Prior to this I was a Web Developer - i.e. 7 years ago. I coded PHP, MySQL, CSS, HTML all by hand and on a Linux platform using Vim.

I would like advice as I'm considering getting back into IT with a view to leaving the Police to go into a job in this industry.

I'm going to try and re-learn what I used to do which will take a few months although I don't think it will be too difficult.

My questions are:

1. I have a pretty much clean slate. So re-training (or paying for a course) is an option. Would anyone recommend other things to do IT wise? E.g. Oracle, iPhone / Android app development? These are two areas I don't know anything about. It doesn't have to be web development.

2. In terms of learning PHP, MySQL again (well more refreshing my memory), what other languages are key at the moment, as in what else should I try to head towards learning?

I appreciate these my be stupid, basic and naieve questions but I'm just brainstorming at the moment and reviewing my options.

Thanks everyone,
    Red Rabbit
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Question is what part of the IT world you want to return to?

If you want to be in the development, I think it would be an good start to refresh what you have learned previously.
    But it also depends if you prefer/wants to make web-sites, desktop application or mobile application.

If you don't know or have little knowledge about Object-Oriented Programming (OOP), it can be a good investment to look at this too and understand how it works.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your help.

I did use PHP5 when I last was developing so did utilise OOP.

I've got to think about what I want to do, as well as career prospects and money. I'd like to have a scope to earn more and progress in a good sector.

I was looking at different languages and thought:

I should get my PHP, MySql, CSS HTML etc... To to date which would at the same time brush up my unix and shell knowledge.

I also looked at jobs and many seem to want C or C# or .NET. I have used C in a very basic way but not properly. I have the K&R book too.

I also saw jobs in database management, eg Oracle. I do know I don't want to do networking as that's an area I don't get and hate!

Development seems natural as I was a web programmer for 3 years.

EDIT: I would also love at some point the option to work from home a day or two a week. Not sure how common that is?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo