1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Seeking friends, mentor, and partners in the programming world as I have none :-(

I live in Los Angeles 25 year old, security guard grave yard(Shift). Ive been practicing programming since june 2010. Started with C++ and the past couple months been working with Objective C. I have never had a relationship with who who are programmers and would like to meet or get to know some and even work together. I'm an eager learner, I spend a lot of my time at work studying and researching. I plan to go to school later this coming year to pursue my education that can hopefully lead to a career in Computer Programming/Game Development.

I feel having someone to discuss some issues and figure things out with and exchange ideas and knowledge is vital to becoming a better programmer. If your a programmer feel free to send me a message hopefully we can exchange emails. I prefer someone who also has a history of programing and also new to objective c or a yoda(Progamming god) haha.
  3. Providing fuel for space ships
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Rather than having one person messaging you, why not help out in the boards in here ? When I first started out (although, I'm not a coder), even just trawling the boards reading posts on various topics taught me various bits and pieces.

That way, you'll make a lot of new friends in a field that you are interested in rather than a 'mentor' so to speak.
    The No Ma'am commandments:

1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
    2.) It is wrong to be French
    3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
    4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
    5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
    6.) Everyone should car pool but me
    7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
    8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
    9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by aitken325i
    Rather than having one person messaging you, why not help out in the boards in here ? When I first started out (although, I'm not a coder), even just trawling the boards reading posts on various topics taught me various bits and pieces.

That way, you'll make a lot of new friends in a field that you are interested in rather than a 'mentor' so to speak.

Yea that's fine, but I would like to get to know someone which we can be real friends and discuss things together and share knowledge. It's alot of things a forum just can't give you that a peer can. Not only a mentor. I don't need anybody to be behind me answering questions that I have. I would also just like a genuine friend who shares the same interest as me.
  7. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    If you're in the LA area and interested in perl programming, there are two perl programming groups in the area that hold regular monthly meetings. One of these groups is actually hosted at my workplace and tonight we have a special guest from the Bay Area giving a speech, Jeffrey Thalhammer (of Pinto and Perl::Critic fame). Let me know if you want the location and dates when the events are held. Even if you don't understand a thing, at least there's free pizza and beer!
    Last edited by Scorpions4ever; December 12th, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Scorpions4ever
    If you're in the LA area and interested in perl programming, there are two perl programming groups in the area that hold regular monthly meetings. One of these groups is actually hosted at my workplace and tonight we have a special guest from the Bay Area giving a speech, Jeffrey Thalhammer (of Pinto and Perl::Critic fame). Let me know if you want the location and dates when the events are held. Even if you don't understand a thing, at least there's free pizza and beer!
    Great ill message you. I would live to.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo