Thread: So sick

1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Unhappy So sick

How many of you have been hit by this flu bug? I've been sick pretty much nonstop from December 16 until today. There's some sort of stomach flu making the rounds in the Northeastern US that only lasts 24 hours, but knocks you on your butt while it happens. I got that mid-december. Then I had a cold through christmas and the new year. Now I have the "real flu" apparently.

It doesn't help that I have a 2 year old in daycare. Those little balls of snot and coughing are petri dishes with legs.

Who else is a walking wounded this flu season? It's an epidemic in the US approaching pandemic status. Statistics say it's at least some of you.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am in the Northeast US as well and although I have not had the flue, my 17 yr old son just had it for 4 days (home sick from HS for 3). He had a headache first and then sore joints all over his body and stomache aches, along with hot and cold chills for three of those days. He spent most of his time in bed sleeping, not wanting to play games(PS, Xbox 360, Wii) or even watch TV. Now tell me that isn't a sick kid...LOL!!!
    Last edited by ByGoneYrs; January 18th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
  5. Type Cast Exception

I think maybe the flu shot saved me this time around but my former manager has been sick for a month now hacking his lungs out. He is sounding better these days but still coughing. A few weeks ago though it seemed like I could feel the germs spreading just hearing him a hundred feet away on the other side of the building hack hack hack.

Hope I don't get that ever and for anyone that does .. So sorry it sounds bloody awful
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. Sarcky

Yeah it's pretty bad. I've had the same thing as ByGoneYrs's son for at least 3 weeks. Coughing constantly, too weak even to watch TV, etc. I've been working the whole time, which can't help, but things have to get done.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I am crossing my fingers I don't get it. The flu shot is required at work but 95% of my coworkers have been sick at one time or another. I have not been sick at all this winter so hopefully my immune system can hold out and continue to keep me healthy. I'm hoping the flu season comes to and end because it seems like everyone who has got sick has been really sick.
    Codeinated
  11. Sarcky

Originally Posted by cody_e
    I am crossing my fingers I don't get it. The flu shot is required at work but 95% of my coworkers have been sick at one time or another. I have not been sick at all this winter so hopefully my immune system can hold out and continue to keep me healthy. I'm hoping the flu season comes to and end because it seems like everyone who has got sick has been really sick.
    My girlfriend seems immune. She's taken care of me and my sick toddler and hasn't even had a sniffle. maybe you're immune!

13. Lord of Dorkness

Central New York. Texan via Arizona, out of his element!
    I don't get flu shots anymore because every time I did, I got the flu. At my age, I am afraid of it. I'm going to stores and malls at off-peak hours and leaving the pub before it gets busy.
    Functionality rules and clarity matters; if you can work a little elegance in there, you're stylin'.
    If you can't spell "u", "ur", and "ne1", why would I hire you? 300 baud modem? Forget I mentioned it.
    DaWei on Pointers Politically Incorrect.
  15. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by DaWei_M
    I don't get flu shots anymore because every time I did, I got the flu. At my age, I am afraid of it. I'm going to stores and malls at off-peak hours and leaving the pub before it gets busy.
    I only get the flu shot because of my son, especially since I have a major disagreement with his mother over his own vaccines (she's fallen for the misinformation churned out by the likes of Sherri Tenpenny).

Anyway, hacking all around me. My closest neighbor in the office sounds like he's going to lose a lung. I'm still chugging along feeling pretty much ok.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  17. Sarcky

I only get the flu shot because of my son, especially since I have a major disagreement with his mother over his own vaccines (she's fallen for the misinformation churned out by the likes of Sherri Tenpenny).
    You'd have a decent case for child abuse there, the state is pro-vaccine and it's stupidly dangerous to let him go unvaccinated.

Anyway, hacking all around me. My closest neighbor in the office sounds like he's going to lose a lung. I'm still chugging along feeling pretty much ok.
    I tried to beg out of a recent business trip to our west-coast office because I was still sick, but they made me go anyway. I infected 12 people, 6 on each coast. The whole company is grinding to a halt over this stupid thing.

19. For POny!

I can't even remember when I was sick
    just some oranges and good wine a day

Comments on this post

• DaWei_M disagrees : Rep beggers. Gag.
  21. No Profile Picture

Gotta love flu season...
  23. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by PythonNewb
    Gotta love flu season...
    Do you look forward to your dental visits as well?
    medialint.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo