1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs down Social Bookmarking Sites Are Back Stabbing You!

People,

I am sure you've heard of social bookmarking sites like del.icio.us.
    You can now upload your bookmarks on a third party site to host your bookmarks so you can have access to your bookmarks from any part of the world when you are away from your home computer. No need to rush back to your computer to find your bookmarks saved by your web browser. Now, that is an honest service.
    But look, how marketers and your competitions can take advantage of your traffic and visitors.
    No doubt, a lot of your visitors would bookmark your pages on their browsers and not leave their contact details with you. They may forget your page that they bookmarked and buy from your competition. To remind them about your page which they bookmarked, you'd now have to keyword search for your links and get results presented by the SB which reveal to you:

1. Which of your links got bookmarked; (This is market research for you as it tells which of your products are publicly popular).
    2. What keywords were used to bookmark your pages; (This is keywords research for you).
    3. Who bookmarked your links; (You can now see if that person has made you an order or not and if not then you can PM him/her through the SB).

As you can see, the SB help you find leads, get market research and keywords research. So far so good.
    Infact, the SB would reveal likewise infos about your competitions. Now, you can snare your competitions visitors and bookmarkers with tempting offers so they buy from you and not your competitions who they bookmarked. So far, so GREAT!

But hey presto! Your competitions can do the same on you. They can learn who your visitors are and which of your products they've been bookmarking and they can contact these visitors of your's with better offers than the ones your bookmarked pages were offering and snare them away from you. And all this, thanks to the SB!
    Legally, can you not SUE the SB for revealing who your visitors are to the public (that includes your competitions) ?
    I know, .exe and .php etc. bots exist to harvest leads in this manner from SBs. Their job is to find their users (your competitions) leads (your visitors and potential customers). So, in a sense, these SBs and bots sell out your visitors to your competitions. They reveal sensitive data about your website and business to the public. Thus damage your business. Can you not sue the SB and the bots for doing this ?
    How come there have been no quarrels regarding this issue ? (Issue on selling one's visitors and potential customers to their competitions). Strange!
    What is your opinion on this ?
    How can I stop the SBs from revealing my visitors to the public, like they do now ?
    (Currently, I don't have a website but when I do, I don't want them revealing to the world who my bookmarkers are).
    How would you put an end to them doing the same to you ?

Good topic. Right ? Take precaution in advance before you've even launched.
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; May 16th, 2017 at 06:18 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Never knew that sort of facility existed, don't care they exist, would never use one.
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by UniqueIdeaMan
    But hey presto! Your competitions can do the same on you. They can learn who your visitors are and which of your products they've been bookmarking and they can contact these visitors of your's with better offers than the ones your bookmarked pages were offering and snare them away from you. And all this, thanks to the SB!
    So... do the same back to them. Simple really, isn’t it?
    Legally, can you not SUE the SB for revealing who your visitors are to the public (that includes your competitions) ?
    Sue them for what? What are they doing that’s against the law? What standards are they breaking? On top of that, what physical location would you sue them in? Where their business is located, where their servers are located, where you live? Anywhere else? All of these locations could have completely different laws about things like this, so how do you decide?
    I know, .exe and .php etc. bots exist to harvest leads in this manner from SBs. Their job is to find their users (your competitions) leads (your visitors and potential customers). So, in a sense, these SBs and bots sell out your visitors to your competitions. They reveal sensitive data about your website and business to the public. Thus damage your business. Can you not sue the SB and the bots for doing this ?
    Again, sue them for what? I haven’t bothered to look into it (and won’t because I just don’t care), but aren’t the bots harvesting public information? If it’s public, it’s out there, and you can’t do anything about it. That’s 100% up to the terms and conditions of the service.
    How come there have been no quarrels regarding this issue ? (Issue on selling one's visitors and potential customers to their competitions). Strange!
    Because no one really cares.
    What is your opinion on this ?
    *YAWN* Boring. So, so boring…
    How can I stop the SBs from revealing my visitors to the public, like they do now ?
    Stop people from bookmarking your site. Take your site offline. Don’t create a website in the first place.
    How would you put an end to them doing the same to you
    I have no control over their systems, so even if I wanted to I couldn’t, and neither could you.
    Good topic. Right ? Take precaution in advance before you've even launched.
    Good topic? It seems to me that it’s really mindless tin-foil hattery that you’re putting out there to “”scare” people for some reason. It makes almost no sense, and it’s a thing that no one really cares about.
    To be honest, it’s a whole lot easier to scrape competitors websites, Facebook feeds, RSS, emails, etc then it is to do what you’re talking about, and that’s why not many people actually bother with it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Talking

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    So... do the same back to them. Simple really, isnít it?

Sue them for what? What are they doing thatís against the law? What standards are they breaking? On top of that, what physical location would you sue them in? Where their business is located, where their servers are located, where you live? Anywhere else? All of these locations could have completely different laws about things like this, so how do you decide?

Again, sue them for what? I havenít bothered to look into it (and wonít because I just donít care), but arenít the bots harvesting public information? If itís public, itís out there, and you canít do anything about it. Thatís 100% up to the terms and conditions of the service.

*YAWN* Boring. So, so boringÖ

Stop people from bookmarking your site. Take your site offline. Donít create a website in the first place.

I have no control over their systems, so even if I wanted to I couldnít, and neither could you.

Good topic? It seems to me that itís really mindless tin-foil hattery that youíre putting out there to ďĒscareĒ people for some reason. It makes almost no sense, and itís a thing that no one really cares about.
    To be honest, itís a whole lot easier to scrape competitors websites, Facebook feeds, RSS, emails, etc then it is to do what youíre talking about, and thatís why not many people actually bother with it.
    So... do the same back to them. Simple really, isnít it?

Sue them for what? What are they doing thatís against the law? What standards are they breaking? On top of that, what physical location would you sue them in? Where their business is located, where their servers are located, where you live? Anywhere else? All of these locations could have completely different laws about things like this, so how do you decide?

Again, sue them for what? I havenít bothered to look into it (and wonít because I just donít care), but arenít the bots harvesting public information? If itís public, itís out there, and you canít do anything about it. Thatís 100% up to the terms and conditions of the service.

*YAWN* Boring. So, so boringÖ

Stop people from bookmarking your site. Take your site offline. Donít create a website in the first place.

I have no control over their systems, so even if I wanted to I couldnít, and neither could you.

Good topic? It seems to me that itís really mindless tin-foil hattery that youíre putting out there to ďĒscareĒ people for some reason. It makes almost no sense, and itís a thing that no one really cares about.
    To be honest, itís a whole lot easier to scrape competitors websites, Facebook feeds, RSS, emails, etc then it is to do what youíre talking about, and thatís why not many people actually bother with it.
    I, do see that del.icio.us are not displaying their search box like they used to. On it, you could search for your website links and it would reveal to you how many of their users/members bookmarked your which pages. I guess, they've now taken it inside member area to force you to register.

Yeah! You're right mate! For example, I visit your website, then bookmark it, then upload my bookmarks (along with your link) to the SB. SB then reveals to the public domain all my bookmarks. Reveals that I bookmarked your webpage. Now, you along with your competitions can do a search for your links on the SB and find-out I bookmarked it. Now, you can contact me (your lost visitor) and make me an offer or see your competitions doing this and snaring me away from you.
    My question was, couldn't you sue the SB for revealing to the public domain who bookmarked you (who your visitor was that favourited your site) as they gave your competitions (public) to snare your bookmarker away from you ?
    I think their defence (SB) would be that, it was your bookmarker (visitor) who made it public they've bookmarked your website and your website visitors have the right to shout/announce to the public who they visited and LIKED and who not. Freedom of speech.
    It's like in the real world. Offline world. If you buy from a shop, let's say, Usa Soft Brand some item and then go to the public on a market hall that has big speakers and shoot your mouth off how you liked their product then you can't sue Usa Soft Brand can you if the public learn you liked their product ? You can't claim they did not protect your privacy as it was you who shot your mouth and not them. You get my point ? Some people think the revealer would get sued, though!

And, in my opinion, neither can you or Usa Soft Brand sue the market hall for giving you the microphone to blast to the whole market that you've liked Usa Soft Brand's product. It was you who did the blasting and not the hall. Therefore, the hall is safe from any lawsuit from Usa Soft Brand. I don't think the law would take any action against the hall for handing the microphone to you, either. Though, there is a possibility. In my opinion, it's your consumer freedom of speech to praise or foul mouth (complain) about a brand. And your choice how you do it. You don't get sued for telling the truth about a company's service, if the service is good then the company would be foolish to come and sue you and the hall for revealing to the public that you are their visitor/potential customer/customer. They'll go out of business if they attempt any foolish act like that. Would get bad press.
    On the other hand, if you foul mouth them about their horrid service then I guess they can drag you to court and give you a lot of harrassment but you'll win the case at the end because it is your state given right as a consumer to review businesses aslong as the review or complain is not untruthful (or atleast, that's what I reckon).
    And so, if in the real world, the hall does not get sued for blasting in the public domain who a certain business' customers/potential customers/visitors are then the same applies to online. Hence, the SBs are safe from any law-suits.
    That's my way of thinking and opinion.
    What do you people say about my opinion ?

I'll tell you what I'm really driving at. I'm not in the least worried about any SB or website revealing who my website visitors are. I'm more into running a site like the SB but at a greater level to start trading one site's vistors to another and make big bucks!
    In my original post, I made it look like I was worried about SBs revealing my visitors to my competitions because I wanted you programmers (who run websites) all huffing and puffing that your website visitors are getting sold-out by SBs. Why did I do that ? Well, to learn a little law from you guys. To see if, as a website and consumer, if you really can sue the SBs or not. Because, had I seen you guys coming-up with a lot of valid reasons to sue the SBs and your cases would stand in court then I'll run a mile away from this line of business. But, I'm guessing now from your feedback that, by law no business can prevent a consumer from loud mouthing to the world who's customer/visitor they are nor any law can punish a medium (in our example the hall was the medium in the offline world and the SBs are the medium in the online world) from publicizing data that reveals which business' visitor/customer is who.
    In short, this is encouraging me to start my venture.
    Now, Mr Catacaustic, can you please give me your link or can you please do me a favour aswell as yourself by signing up to my Social Network (SB) and can you please be wise enough to promote my SB so your whole family & friends sign up too ? (CHEEEEK!!!!). That way, I can learn who's visiting your website and then sell their SB usernames to your competitions. Give your competitions a window of opportunity to message my users (who bookmarked your site). That way, I can earn heavy bucks from your competitions for selling your customers/potential customers out to them. Lol!

Hey Catacaustic, the above was a joke. Not being sarcastic. But it was a direct ad or promotion of my future SB. Businesses are usually not that blunt. And they don't say things that clear making things obvious how they sell-out peoples' data from one company to another. They hypocritically disguise their working model. They use words such as "we share our consumers data with other organisations to best serve the public". It's all bull-****. You know very well the businesses you purchase from sell-out your personal details as a "lead" to others for big bucks. And that's why you get all junk coming through your post. I, for one, am an honest man. A man who bluntly speaks his mind out. If I'm gonna profit selling your data out then I won't disguise the fact with rubbish like that. I'll just plainly tell you: I'm not going to sell you like a slave. No! I'm going to sell your personal details as a slave. Gonna auction it! And there's nothing you can do about it since you yourself have publicized your personal data (what websites you bookmarked/LIKED) to the whole wide world (the www). I'm just harvesting data about you off of the public domain, repackaging it and selling it on. Passing it on from one part of the public domain to another. Big deal. No harm done. Your data was already public and I just made it public even more. Nothing wrong with that.
    You see why people (even you) won't like me ? Lol!
    But, if you like this business model (leads hunting & leads selling) then say so. Lol again and even louder!

A new paragraph.
    Nah! I have no intentions of really targeting you and selling you out like that. It was a sort of a joke. But a harsh reality. A wake-up call. Wake-up. Your data is already on the public domain if you use Social Networks. Brands are harvesting about your internet surfing habits everyday and making money out of it without sharing with you a single cent. Since you can't contain your internet activities from being leaked intentionally/unintentionally by you or others then you might aswell join in in the game for a piece of the pie itself!
    I mean, when you, as a member, join my SB and publicize to the www who you are are fan off then my SB can give their competitions a chance to message you their marketing materials for 2 of your benefits.

You get best offers. Companies fight over each other to win your custom by lowering you their prices and offering competitive packages;
    You earn money when each time they make you an offer. When my SB will charge them to message you, you will earn a portion of the amount too.
    Win win situation. You get better bargains and earn a little on the side.
    Let's say, my SB charged each cell fone dealer $10/mssg and a total of 100 mssg you (yes, a lot of ads) then my SB charges a total of $1k and it can split 50/50 with you so you earn $500. You can now use that to buy what you wanted to buy. If you can manage to buy it for less than $500 then you're in profit. You used the businesses own money to buy something from one of them. So today, you buy a new cell fone with that money. Tomorrow, do likewise with a few washing machine dealers and earn profits again. SB can charge different rates for different product sellers. So, the next day, read 100 ads from 100 car dealers (Maybe I charge $100/ad so you earn $50 per ad?) buy a car and so on. Get my point ? Use their lousy money to buy their own products. You think big brands don't fight over backwards and spend that much on commercial mails ? 5 yrs back, morgage companies used to pay $40/click to overture.com (formerly go2.com). Check what the current click rate is now! It's much lower after the dotcom bubble burst.
    Now, I know what I'm doing is called dreaming a little but sometimes dreams do come true if you BUT just know how to build a MONEY MAKING SYSTEM and RINSE & REPEAT the system (as the money making gurus would say) then you'll know what it means to become rich overnight or get rich quick plan or retire quick plan.
    Anyway man, I've only revealed one money making idea of mine and already making all my programmer buddies enemies. Don't want to reveal another 9 and have them all protesting against me.
    However, if you like my way of thinking then how-about we join forces and come-up with money making systems and then start building a php script ? We can all contribute a little here and there and then finally release the script as gpl.

I'm all about trying to be creative in finding new ways to fish for leads and then sell them on a viral method.
    Happy Dreaming!
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; May 25th, 2017 at 04:47 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why do I keep getting this annoying error. Happens in all forums and not just this one! Check the attached img.Unresposive Page.png
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Now, you along with your competitions can do a search for your links on the SB and find-out I bookmarked it. Now, you can contact me (your lost visitor) and make me an offer or see your competitions doing this and snaring me away from you.
    I'm still failing to understand how someone can get your contact details from that system? They may show who has bookmarked what, but you can't honestly believe that they freely give out their users emails or phone numbers, can you? Hell, Google tracks peoplea whole lot more than this, and even with them you can't buy contact details. You can place very specificly targeted ads, but you never get any contact details.

My question was, couldn't you sue the SB for revealing to the public domain who bookmarked you (who your visitor was that favourited your site) as they gave your competitions (public) to snare your bookmarker away from you ?
    I think their defence (SB) would be that, it was your bookmarker (visitor) who made it public they've bookmarked your website and your website visitors have the right to shout/announce to the public who they visited and LIKED and who not. Freedom of speech.
    It's like in the real world. Offline world. If you buy from a shop, let's say, Usa Soft Brand some item and then go to the public on a market hall that has big speakers and shoot your mouth off how you liked their product then you can't sue Usa Soft Brand can you if the public learn you liked their product ? You can't claim they did not protect your privacy as it was you who shot your mouth and not them. You get my point ? Some people think the revealer would get sued, though!
    I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. It honestly seems nonsensical.

I'll tell you what I'm really driving at.
    I wish that you would!

Hey Catacaustic, the above was a joke. Not being sarcastic. But it was a direct ad or promotion of my future SB. Businesses are usually not that blunt. And they don't say things that clear making things obvious how they sell-out peoples' data from one company to another. They hypocritically disguise their working model. They use words such as "we share our consumers data with other organisations to best serve the public". It's all bull-****. You know very well the businesses you purchase from sell-out your personal details as a "lead" to others for big bucks. And that's why you get all junk coming through your post. I, for one, am an honest man. A man who bluntly speaks his mind out. If I'm gonna profit selling your data out then I won't disguise the fact with rubbish like that. I'll just plainly tell you: I'm not going to sell you like a slave. No! I'm going to sell your personal details as a slave. Gonna auction it! And there's nothing you can do about it since you yourself have publicized your personal data (what websites you bookmarked/LIKED) to the whole wide world (the www). I'm just harvesting data about you off of the public domain, repackaging it and selling it on. Passing it on from one part of the public domain to another. Big deal. No harm done. Your data was already public and I just made it public even more. Nothing wrong with that.
    You see why people (even you) won't like me ? Lol!
    But, if you like this business model (leads hunting & leads selling) then say so. Lol again and even louder!
    So, you want users to freely sign up to a system where they know that they will be targeted aggresivly by who ever pays you the most money? Wow. Just... wow...

Anyway man, I've only revealed one money making idea of mine and already making all my programmer buddies enemies. Don't want to reveal another 9 and have them all protesting against me.
    To be honest, as a programmer I couldn't care less. Marketers, that's maybe a different story. To be honest we'd have to see the finished system along with the details of how its run to amke any real judgement. From what you've been saying on the forums here so far it seems like it's concept level at best, and needs a whole lot more refinement before anything can be done. And, you might just want to get some legal advice before you start.

Protip - Privacy laws around the world can be a bitch to deal with.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm still failing to understand how someone can get your contact details from that system? They may show who has bookmarked what, but you can't honestly believe that they freely give out their users emails or phone numbers, can you? Hell, Google tracks peoplea whole lot more than this, and even with them you can't buy contact details. You can place very specificly targeted ads, but you never get any contact details.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. It honestly seems nonsensical.

I wish that you would!

So, you want users to freely sign up to a system where they know that they will be targeted aggresivly by who ever pays you the most money? Wow. Just... wow...

To be honest, as a programmer I couldn't care less. Marketers, that's maybe a different story. To be honest we'd have to see the finished system along with the details of how its run to amke any real judgement. From what you've been saying on the forums here so far it seems like it's concept level at best, and needs a whole lot more refinement before anything can be done. And, you might just want to get some legal advice before you start.

Protip - Privacy laws around the world can be a bitch to deal with.
    Yeah. I was more into marketing than programming. Now marketer wants to become programmer so he can make his ideas get lives.
    Don't worry. I'm not blabbering nonsense. I'll show you some examples once I've finished but in the meanwhile I need help on my threads. Are you a good programmer ? If so, then how-about making some contributions on my latest threads ?
  15. Contributing User

I've never used a bookmarking site, I really don't see the advantage to me. I don't see the advantage to trolling through your bookmarks. If I'm looking for interesting sites on particular subjects, usually what I want perks to the top of Google, or I get suggestions from the pathetic trash that hangs out at the forums I hang out at.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Arty Zifferelli
    I've never used a bookmarking site, I really don't see the advantage to me. I don't see the advantage to trolling through your bookmarks. If I'm looking for interesting sites on particular subjects, usually what I want perks to the top of Google, or I get suggestions from the pathetic trash that hangs out at the forums I hang out at.
    Yeah. Social Bookmarks are dead now. They came into existance in 2004. I'll see if I can think-up a feature that will revive them.
  19. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Yeah. Social Bookmarks are dead now. They came into existance in 2004.
    So they are "dead" now, but you're putting this much time and effort into replicating something that you say yourself doesn't have much place in today's world? Even after all of your arguments and "great ideas" of capitalising on them?

Wow. Just... Wow...
  21. Contributing User

But I have amassed a truly huge bookmark list of Japanese Tentacle Porn, and I really want to share it...
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So they are "dead" now, but you're putting this much time and effort into replicating something that you say yourself doesn't have much place in today's world? Even after all of your arguments and "great ideas" of capitalising on them?

Wow. Just... Wow...
    Nah! I haven't put this much attention into it yet but I will. Infact, I've put a lot of attention into capitalising on:

dns cache
    web browser (completed few mnths ago)
    web proxy (90% complete)
    searchengine (about to start on it)

Now, lately looking into:

meta engine
    forum
    answers sites (eg. yahoo answers).

And, you are going to use some of them and earn money as a member. Either from my own site or others (copy cats).
    That brings me to the question: What is your living (if you don't mind me asking) ? I will see if I can improve on the idea and come-up with something really good you appreciate and wonder: Why did I not think of that before myself ?
    Test me. This is good exercise for me to think-up solutions on the spot. PM me, if you don't want to reply publicly. As my solutions become better and better, I will become confident in myself better and better.

What programming languages do you know apart from php ? How much of them do you know and how long have you known them ? Have you built any scripts or desktop softwares ? Can we have their links to check them out ? I might come-up with improvement ideas on them.

As for me. I am a student. I know little html and css and php. I have built bots using Ubot Studio bot building tool.
    Built:

* Back link checker (you feed it a list of links and it will check if your links exist on those pages or not).
    * DoFollow Link Checker (you feed it a list of links and it will check if the out-going links give "dofollow" status to the links or not).
    * Open Comment Blog Finder (this one uses a special foot print to force google to only present those links of wp blogs that still have their commenting sections open)
    * Searchengine Scraper (this one scrapes results from searchengines and gives the list of links in .csv, .txt files).
    * Content Spinner (with this one you don't have to have your articles containing spintax as you just feed it a list of synonyms and it will generate the spintax along with the synonyms on your article copy and then create different versions of that article copy based on the synonyms).

I have created smaller tools too but these are the major good ones. I use them for myself. Have not sold any yet.
    Once I learn php, I am going to build web versions of them and run them through membership sites so members can use them from the accounts.

I just gave you some ideas. Most people will keep their ideas hush hush so no one copies them. I don;t bother because I have confident in myself to thinkup more better ideas and defeat all the copy cats.
    Now, you are welcome to derive ideas from them and capitalise on them and even compete with me. I don't mind. We will still be php colleagues. And no hard feelings.
    Last edited by UniqueIdeaMan; July 10th, 2017 at 08:08 AM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Arty Zifferelli
    But I have amassed a truly huge bookmark list of Japanese Tentacle Porn, and I really want to share it...
    I thought you left that industry. What you been upto, lately ?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo