Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Can [GIMP] even do CMYK colors?
    Nope, as everyone knows. Are CMYK colors used in most cases? I don't think so. GIMP is specialized on but not restricted to computer-only graphics.

Do they really expect designers to code?
    No, but ppl who are asked by the designers to add features. Have you ever been forced to code something in GIMP? I haven't.

How about [VC++'s] project management functionality?
    What do you mean? The option to make projects which is also available in KDevelop or that SourceSave thing which can be replaced by CVS?

X not always being stable
    Of course not and if I have somehow implied that I'm sorry. As you certainly realize there is no such thing as 100% stable software. But a good X configuration should be more stable than any Windoze counterpart. And with X, you have a good chance of getting a bugfix for your problem. M$ doesn't do that.

You're saying all Linux installs go smoothly?
    I'm saying they are usually better than Windoze installs. I can just enter the FTP stuff, select what and where I want to install and sleep, then come back in the morning to find the setup program waiting for some last steps.

Stability: see above.
    Yup.

Price: I don't know about where you live, but over here home users hardly use legal versions of Windows, so it costs them what, 2 bucks? I know it's sad, but it's true. Same goes for office suites, games etc.
    Yes, but that's gonna stop pretty soon if M$ continues its licensing policy trend. As the quality of the alternatives increases, who's going to install an OS if it's setup program is practically spyware?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Are CMYK colors used in most cases?
    In the print world, yes.
    Have you ever been forced to code something in GIMP? I haven't.
    <cynism>Me neither, we don't use it.</cynism> I work for a heavily graphics-based company tho, so /if/ we were to use it, we'd have to code. Photoshop, more simplistically, has 'actions'. While it's not as functional as a programming language, this usually does the job for a designer.
    The option to make projects which is also available in KDevelop
    Matter of personal taste I guess (KDevelop vs. VC++).
    But a good X configuration should be more stable than any Windoze counterpart.
    It's just that when X crashed on me, the whole system froze, I couldn't even jump to a shell login. At least on Win NT/2K you can usually (not always!) ctrl-alt-del out of it, and simply end your task. It kind of ruins the Linux multithreading idea for me (sick joke).
    I'm saying they are usually better than Windoze installs.
    That I agree with. Auto-updating via FTP is nice as well, <offtopic>although the way in which it behaves should be made more universal imho</offtopic>
    As the quality of the alternatives increases, who's going to install an OS if it's setup program is practically spyware?
    I just don't know. You'd say end users would care about privacy, but you know M$'s way of manipulation/indoctrination...I'm afraid the end user will just (again) end up not caring.
    Last edited by daholygoat; January 7th, 2002 at 08:54 AM.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

all the software is free!
    Rubbish! all the software isn't free. There's plenty of software that costs. Companies aren't going to all throw money down the Linux drain you know. As soon as (sorry, change to if) Linux makes it to mainstream then there will be lots of companies preparing to sell their wares. Then, when software becomes easy to install and manage people will pay, and it will all go the MS route.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Not there when you need me
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

the print world
    Yes, this is the one big well-known exception.

Matter of personal taste I guess (KDevelop vs. VC++).
    Rather matter of what widget library/OS you are forced to code in/on However, KDevelop (with the programs that it uses) has all important functions of VC++ and is a real alternative.

on Win NT/2K you can usually (not always!) ctrl-alt-del out of it, and simply end your task.
    Unfortunately you still have to kill you apps, usually those that held you info/code/graphics/&c.

the whole system froze [...] . It kind of ruins the Linux multithreading idea for me
    Yeah, there are some weak points left.

M$'s way of manipulation/indoctrination...
    I just hope that someday the UN will force M$ to write one simple usable stable program and they (M$) will fail and will be utterly destroyed
  9. T-Shirt Tragic
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Rubbish! all the software isn't free.
    Binky, it-was-a-joke! hence the smiley.

but since you mention it .. the gnu license refers to "free" as in "free speech" not "free beer" .. some "freedoms" mentioned by gnu are -
    • The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    • The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    • The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
    • The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits. (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

generally when people charge for GPL software they charge not for the software itself but for the distribution medium.

According to the GPL terms anyone is "free" to redistribute copies of software (and free to charge for it) providing they extend the same rights and restrictions... this viral nature of the license gaurantees it will not "go the MS route" as you put it since to do that will be a violation of the license.
  11. No Profile Picture

Basically, if you want to point and click.. get Windows. If you want to do some real work, get *NIX.

It really IS a simple world after all.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Iv'e just installed redhat 6.1 on my WIN BOX ...eeee

It's great bit of a pain figuring how to get X working from text mode using linuxconf, but soon sussed it out

I have to say it was no easy task but well worth the struggle, now i have a choice; do i want to develop in Windows or Linux

Im gonna get a BOX for each i think

Well chuffed

Mark
    100 trillion calculations per nanosecond
Page 3 of 3 First 123
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo