1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to get started [was: Introducing me!]

Hello. I'm 15 and a girl, and I was always interested in coding. I never coded from scratch before, well in HTML.

I had my hand at HTML in games where you joined a club and needed to edit the theme etc. Haha. Good times. That was around 5-6 years ago? Then moved onto Tumblr themes. Editting mine recently. Able to add hover now and the likes.

I also have computer classes in my school. Learned basics of Turbo C or C++ last year and learning Visual Basics now. Also checked out python and javascript during my spare time.

I plan on taking Comp. Science in College.

I'm thinking of doing Visual Basics but I'm not sure what types of programs you make there as all I can do now is a simple calculator and a bit of some with Booleans.

As for HTML, I'm thinking about doing Tumblr themes during my spare time.

Any tips? Like which language I should focus on first?
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Welcome to the site.

What to do depends on what you want to do. If you want to make websites, focus on HTML, JavaScript, SQL, and PHP (there are arguments here for C#, Python, Perl, Ruby, and Node.JS, but I prefer PHP).

If you want to make windows desktop programs like you see in your Visual Basic class, stick with VB or C#.

If you want to make mobile applications on the iPhone, you need to learn Objective-C.

Android development is Java based.

Video games are C or C++ usually.

If you like tumblr and the like, stick with PHP/HTML/JS/Jquery/SQL
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Don't forget in addition to learning the programming languages, learn how the systems you are developing for work. The more you know about the system, the easier it will be to write good programs that maximally utilize its potential.
    Codeinated
  7. Banned ;)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Originally Posted by Shrak
    I also have computer classes in my school. Learned basics of Turbo C or C++ last year and learning Visual Basics now. Also checked out python and javascript during my spare time.

I plan on taking Comp. Science in College.

I'm thinking of doing Visual Basics but I'm not sure what types of programs you make there as all I can do now is a simple calculator and a bit of some with Booleans.

Any tips? Like which language I should focus on first?
    Just out of curiosity, where do you go to school at? Just wondering where they teach Turbo C and Turbo C++. Also what versions of Turbo C did they use in school?

The reason I ask all the above is because Turbo-C is a rather ancient compiler and you may have learned a lot of bad practises from it, especially from the older versions.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  9. Sarcky

The reason I ask all the above is because Turbo-C is a rather ancient compiler and you may have learned a lot of bad practises from it, especially from the older versions.
    Based on general style and the use of "Visual Basics," I'd imagine somewhere outside of the US. Good catch though.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. Lounge Troll
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Based on general style and the use of "Visual Basics," I'd imagine somewhere outside of the US. Good catch though.
    I was thinking the same thing myself. Turbo-C is pretty ancient. I know the Advanced Placement class was switching from C++ to Java (and they still use Java) for the exam and that was in like 2003-2004ish (holy crap I'm getting old ).
    Codeinated
  13. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

If you're considering a go and true development, I usually recommend that people start with Java. It's easy to learn and get started with, there's a plethora of information and samples readily available to learn from, and it is probably the single most versatile language in use today with applications ranging from web development to mobile and embedded systems.
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo