1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Starting a new career, and need help :)

Hi Everybody,

I've recently decided to make a career change at the age of 38. Yes, I know what your thinking... but my body can't handle current job for to many more years, and I also have always wanted to do something with computers. When I was twenty i got a diploma in maintaining and repairing computers. My mistake was taking that course instead of programming, because I couldn't find a decent job with the skills I had learned.

So fast forward 20 years, and know I've decided to follow this path that I have always loved. I've started with Python for the last month, while also learning about HTML and CSS. I have enough money in the bank to study for the next year or so, and thats what I am going to do. So my question to anybody who can help me is: Do you think Python is the way to go? Oh yeah, my goal is to do something to do with building and maintaining websites while maybe doing some freelance programming on the side. So if you have any opinions on other ideas to consider, or what your experience is with your career and how you got there! That would be great ! Thanks
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The industry is MOSTLY PHP, something like 75% of the web is PHP pages (including this one).

However, Python is a great language. Lots of young startups and super-high-tech places like social networks and search engines use Python for really heavy lift projects.

You shouldn't have an issue if you have a good portfolio.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Contributing User

With Python learn 2 and 3, learn Java, XML, HTML, PHP and maybe play with Open Source MySQL 5.6, SQL Server 2012, and PostgreSQL 9.3 as well too. Tinker with Linux, and Shell Scripting/Programming like Bash and Korn too...maybe some Perl also.
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks! One question

Hi guys,

So I am currently do code academy for python. Can you guys recommend any other online courses that would help. Also Maniac I am pretty raw when it comes to terminology, but I guess portfolio means resume. My resume is going to be rather bare when it comes to programming and web related experience. Is there any places that let you volunteer to help with projects? I think that would be a good way to build my resume, any other suggestions would be great. You guys have really helped! thanks
  9. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I guess portfolio means resume. My resume is going to be rather bare when it comes to programming and web related experience. Is there any places that let you volunteer to help with projects?
    Portfolio means...portfolio. Like an artist or photographer or other creative field. Make a website or a series of websites for yourself, family, friends, etc. Put them on your resume or make one of them your resume.

As for community volunteer projects, you can certainly continue working in the forums. There was a member a while back who started from no experience and ended up making a big bible-searching website with all the various forms and formats of the bibles in it.

Few existing projects will welcome a brand new coder with no professional experience, you're more likely to screw things up than help.

Working on your own or with the forum community is the best way unless you have someone in your life who is already skilled and invested in helping you learn. I learned PHP because my college roommate needed help starting a business.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  11. Put a potato on it!

If you belong to a church or a tight-knit community, you can reach out and offer simple site building services to help with your html/css/javascript and then delve into php/python projects if those are needed too. My boyfriend does this for people in the town he lives in, sometimes for free, sometimes getting paid and it makes a huge difference to people that are not technically inclined and wouldn't be able to create their own site and can't afford to hire a professional to do it.

learnpythonthehardway would be my recommendation for further learning, I've done maybe half the lessons now and found it really useful in picking up python. Having exercises to do as you go helps cement the information in your mind.

A quick google search got me this Python Projects . It's from Michigan State University and has a bunch of ideas/assignments to code, which can be fun and a good way to grasp the language better. If you search a little, you can often find coursework that schools have allowed to be posted online for non-students to use. This stuff isn't really what you'd show an employer, but I think it's a good way to expose yourself to a lot of different facets of python and programming and hones your thinking skills.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
  13. No Profile Picture

What I was thinking is that you should check out some online short courses. If you are into computers then you should check out some website development courses. I hope this will be helpful.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo