1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Steve Jobs, 1955-2011 ...

I remember my first Apple computer ...

Requiescat in pace.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Wow a whole day goes by and nobody starts a flame war?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

This isn't the outhouse...

( :
    Adam TT
  7. Eager to learn

......I guess...PC won in the end

Anyway, didn't really like his recent products, but can't deny what he's done. R.I.P.
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  9. Type Cast Exception

If PC really won IBM would still be making most of the profits from personal computer sales.

Instead that chubby guy in Redmond became the face of IBM's trademark.

Never owned a mac but considering upgrading my iPhone 3G to a 4s.

Anyway, so long Mr. Jobs.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

he made some interesting contribution to the electronics and computer world,

but still apple's products were always overpriced.

he will be remembered ...
  13. Eager to learn

Originally Posted by medialint
    If PC really won IBM would still be making most of the profits from personal computer sales.

Instead that chubby guy in Redmond became the face of IBM's trademark.

Never owned a mac but considering upgrading my iPhone 3G to a 4s.

Anyway, so long Mr. Jobs.
    It is a growing joke on Facebook apparently. PC = pancreatic cancer, so they say PC wins finally.

Bit of poor taste there, but I still find it humorous

Comments on this post

• bals28mjk agrees
    "Quality of responses may vary. I reserve the right to change my mind for any reason what-so-ever without admitting I was wrong. I'd prefer to change your mind however, it's easier on my ego". - jwdonahue

"so no-one has actually bothered to post an original quote ? what's wrong with making up your own?"
    - marnixR
  15. Sarcky

I believe Jobs, at the personal level, was a gigantic douche. Everything I've read about him labels him as a workaholic, demon boss, and horrible father. However, I can't deny that his influence on the computer industry made things prettier and easier to use.

I've owned 4 mac laptops and 3 ipods, and I hated every one of them. I believe Apple's devotion to simplicity trumps function far more often than it should. The other day I tried to skip a track on my iPod and it wouldn't. I pressed the button six times, finally pulling over and stopping to pick up the device and look at it. Turns out I was in the mode that allows me to move back and forth within the song. Being in that mode means that my particular iPod version doesn't skip tracks (known "feature" of the firmware).

While I appreciate that he pushes the envelope in terms of design, I don't consider him an innovator by any stretch. Apple products are consistently behind the times and, in my opinion, hideously overpriced. He'll certainly be missed, but he wasn't a genius visionary who gave us the magic of smart phones, he was a genius visionary who gave us the magic of smart phones with functionality so limited that they were intuitive to use.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  17. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by Skipt
    It is a growing joke on Facebook apparently. PC = pancreatic cancer, so they say PC wins finally.

Bit of poor taste there, but I still find it humorous
    Yes I missed the humorous punny there, but I do agree it's in poor taste ...

While I appreciate that he pushes the envelope in terms of design, I don't consider him an innovator by any stretch.
    He was a marketer marketing the innovations of others for the most part. But he did have the vision to know what innovations to market.
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  19. Sarcky

He was a marketer marketing the innovations of others for the most part. But he did have the vision to know what innovations to market.
    The most concise description of his career I've ever seen. Nothing they did was revolutionary, but they always acted like it was. The iPhone 3 can do picture messaging! ALL HAIL THE MESSIAH! Actually, everyone else could do that for ten years, but try telling iPhone users that. My coworkers were shocked, shocked that I was unimpressed that iOS was able to fake multi-tasking in 2009, apparently not realizing that the T-Mobile G1 was released more than a year beforehand with actual multitasking.

Get a captive audience, tell them you have a unique idea, and they'll follow. He was a genius, but not for the reasons most people think.

Also, the "PC = Pancreatic Cancer" thing is gold. Gold.

-Dan

Comments on this post

• Skipt agrees : Yes. Yes it is

21. Person
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Ya, it was kind of surprising that people were poking fun at it right away though. Daily show made some jokes about it in a respectful type way. Death is always awkward, but it seems like "too soon" has gone away for jokes about celebs. Just jokes in general there seems like there's an anything goes type policy. I saw the roast of Charlie Sheen and they were ripping on Michael J Fox and how god hates him. Getting more and more lenient in the joke department and censorship. Remember when people used to get pissed off at south park like 10-15 years ago? Now everyone is like meh whatever. Lol. Anyway RIP Jobbs, definitely one of the fathers for the age of technology.
    Give Opera some love. Use it and you'll see why.

Oh, those monkeys.::What's wrong with the world today?::The lion king in 5 seconds.

My body is so sexy.
  23. Eager to learn

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Also, the "PC = Pancreatic Cancer" thing is gold. Gold.

-Dan
    Literally lol'd at that comment.

Also @bals28-

It's great seeing you again! I hope to see you on Sitepoint some, I just registered there.

Old habits die hard

- marnixR
  25. Person
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Ya, good to see ya, I'll be back posting over on sp one day.
    Give Opera some love. Use it and you'll see why.

Oh, those monkeys.::What's wrong with the world today?::The lion king in 5 seconds.

My body is so sexy.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Well for me he is a true magician as he placed the whole world in my hands
    RIP
  29. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by doubtfull
    Well for me he is a true magician as he placed the whole world in my hands
    That's a lot of weight to drop in the palms of one's hands. I usually carry the weight of the world on my shoulders when needed.
    medialint.com

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo