1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

NEW: support by incentives

Open source and free software is great, but what if you need support for something you can’t fix, or build yourself?

Facing this problem a few years ago, the question raised was: “Why is it not possible to ‘place money’ on a bug, or feature request in order to get it fixed or implemented?”

This question led to an incentive support service which integrates with all major bug tracking systems.
    Once installed, it’s easy for software users to place incentives on issues as a reward for developers.
    The service takes care of all the handling and updates to software users and developers.

We are curious what you think about this new approach to software support.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    The projects I care about have already been doing this for many years now. For instance, the company I work for, pays for enterprise support from <prominent linux vendor> and gets linux driver updates way ahead of the free crowd (the linux vendor in question contributes a lot to linux development). The company I work for has also paid for specific MySQL features to get implemented in the past. I've also personally contributed a little here and there to get specific features implemented in OpenBSD.

All these projects already have their own way of handling these feature requests. What makes you think that they will be willing to switch to your project to keep track of them? Also, why should I give out the amount I'm willing to pay to a third party (namely, you guys) when it is simply a matter between me and the developer. See, when money gets involved, people get kinda testy about how many people know how much is involved, especially third-parties with no connection to the project.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture

We are not handling feature requests, but incentives placed on those features.

It's easy for projects to integrate our service within their bugtracking system and give involved developers a way to make money for the project or themself.

As third party we take care of handling the placed incentives and release of those to developers based on issue status 'resolved' for at least 14 days. So, we are only an intermediate (between users/developers) for lots of projects without any 'commercial' support.
  7. Sarcky

Even for-pay products work this way. My company charges hundreds of thousands of dollars per year for our lowest-end service, and we allow our clients to pay to have their fixes/enhancements done first.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Even for-pay products work this way. My company charges hundreds of thousands of dollars per year for our lowest-end service, and we allow our clients to pay to have their fixes/enhancements done first.
    I got it! But I guess the one your company is using isn't a plugin which integrates with a bugtracking system?
  11. Sarcky

It's part of our JIRA process, yes. But we use human beings since we're talking about tens of thousands of dollars and not $5 into a paypal account.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo