1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Switch to telecommuting

I am a s/w dev who is looking to make a switch to full time telecommuting. A bit about myself - I have 9 years of s/w dev experience, both in front end and the back end, although mostly back end server coding. I specialize in asp.net (both .net pages and mvc/razor) as well as php. I am also well versed in JS/Jquery/Ajax/CSS.

My current job will not allow any remote work, hence I would like to seek employment elsewhere, I am a Canadian citizen (no US work permit).

I am looking to make the switch in 1.5-2 years time, so I have time to prepare and get organized.

My questions are:
    1) Is it feasible to expect to find a full time permanent remote work given the info above?
    2) How would one go about looking for such positions?
    3) What tools/technologies would you recommend I learn that will open up more positions for me?
    4) What tools do you use for such work? Communication s/w. laptop, etc?
    5) Is it worth it to have an online portfolio with code samples and online CV?
    6) Any info on remote work such as your experiences will be welcome and useful to me.

Thank you in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You should be able to find a remote full time permanent position for that type of work. I don't know how you would go about finding the job, but a significant amount of work in the web development industry is done remotely so the jobs do exist.

The company I work for uses Skype and Gotomeeting heavily for conferencing. Most companies will also have a VPN setup of some type. For really large companies, they may even provide you with specific hardware to use. However, there are really no tools or technologies that you have to learn specifically to work remotely.

You need a portfolio with code samples, but they don't necessarily need to be online.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo