1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Let's talk 2012 taxes

Last year we had a bunch of threads about taxes, contracting, people getting cheated, etc. Let's keep all those threads here if we can.

Mods, feel free to merge them all together.

My taxes are easy this year, I worked for one company and did no contracting work, and my daycare expenses resulted in a net discount of $50.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'm at a contracting firm and this year I was placed at the same client all year long. One paycheck, one locality, makes things easy on that respect.

Not looking forward to 2013 though, hopefully by the end of the year I'll have another kid, a rental income coming in, and some moving expenses. While all of those things are happy things, it'll make the taxes tougher.

-MBirchmeier
  5. Banned (not really)

Several "trips" gave me a few tax free months, so this year is pretty good.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  7. Sarcky

Not a lawyer or an accountant, but I'm pretty sure you can't deduct a move from your taxes. The only time you can is if you move to accept a first job of some sort. Either first job out of college or first job in a new industry.

I could deduct my move from college in NY down to TX, for instance, but not my move from TX back to PA to accept a job up here.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Not a lawyer or an accountant, but I'm pretty sure you can't deduct a move from your taxes. The only time you can is if you move to accept a first job of some sort. Either first job out of college or first job in a new industry.

I could deduct my move from college in NY down to TX, for instance, but not my move from TX back to PA to accept a job up here.
    Correct you are... you can only deduct moving expenses if moving for a job etc.

I guess I'll just have to console myself to living in a nicer house.

-MBirchmeier
  11. Type Cast Exception

I usually do my own taxes but I'm going to go to an accountant this time. I have a lot of questions, among them the big $18,000 question "can I deduct anything on this ... especially since it's presumably taxable income on the other end?"
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  13. Sarcky

I used to talk to accountants when I was a contractor/consultant, but they ended up costing me roughly as much as they managed to save me. Especially now as a w2 employee, I just do it myself. The only thing that's really complicated is that I'm divorced with a kid, so I have to deduct alimony, daycare expenses, and the child dependent. (Un)fortunately, my income makes me alllllmost ineligible for those deductions. Legally, I still have to do the paperwork, but I only net about $60 from it, total.

15. Banned (not really)

My trips were to Afghanistan so there are, uh... special rules.

Comments on this post

• ManiacDan agrees : Just now noticed this.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo