1. CAUTION: Loderator Moose
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Python is my favorite language to code in. Been playing around with starting a python blog a really long while. I have with me a hude collection of word documents that i composed myself documenting my learning of the language. So that i would Not have to go hunting through documentations. Its got loads of tips and tricks and code examples i worked with myself, and solved.

I wanted to create a blog for newbie to python. Hmmm.. on a related note, would i get a better SE ranking if I posted all my posts to the onlien blog in the span of an hour using my blog synochoniser (desktop with online) or if i updated the blog leisurely over the span of say.. a month ?

My thanks to python forum members, who's answers have really helped. I havent asked many questions there, and the ones I have, are realy stupid. but now I know better. But the Advanced Forum search turn up most answers i need.
    Last edited by oneMSBi; November 24th, 2005 at 12:39 PM.
    Nigel
    ..Seeking code free nirvana...
    Nigel Fernandes Blog
    Never argue with fools. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Manchester United Forever
  2. fork while true;
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

Originally Posted by oneMSBi
    Python is my favorite language to code in. Been playing around with starting a python blog a really long while. I have with me a hude collection of word documents that i composed myself documenting my learning of the language. So that i would have to go hunting through documentations. Its got loads of tips and tricks and code examples i worked with myself, and solved.

I wanted to create a blog for newbie to python. Hmmm.. on a related note, would i get a better SE ranking if I posted all my posts to the onlien blog in the span of an hour using my blog synochoniser (desktop with online) or if i updated the blog leisurely over the span of say.. a month ?

My thanks to python forum members, who's answers have really helped. I havent asked many questions there, and the ones I have, are realy stupid. but now I know better. But the Advanced Forum search turn up most answers i need.
    You need a high amount of content straight away, then submit it. you should then be looking for about 3 updates per week. Then have a robots.txt and a sitemap.xml file in addition. Then make sure the code is good and keyword stuffed. (try using <strong> tags but using CSS to set them to un-strong )
  3. CAUTION: Loderator Moose
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I have enough content for first up content .. 169 posts on my desktop blog !!. I'll have to edit them slightly before they are fit fior online use though. I was thinking of just using a blogger account for the blog, tied with my adsense account.

Updates a week are not an issue. I usually update thepython blog about 10 to 11 times a week.

My other blogs which are almost ready to go online are typically about 50 posts each (3 of em )..

I have used sematic markup for the template of my posts so no problem there. And I already have a CSS template i quite like.
    oh well will get it up and running in the new year along with my other web projects
    Nigel
    ..Seeking code free nirvana...
    Nigel Fernandes Blog
    Never argue with fools. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Manchester United Forever
  4. 'fie' on me, allege-dly
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Nigel, set yourself a deadline, a reasonable one, or more than one. Project plan it. I'd suggest there's more than one web projects festering on bookshelves of the membership

Comments on this post

• oneMSBi agrees : very true... I think i will draw a plan for this.. i have been meaning to roll out these blogs for the last 6 months.. thats how soo many posts have accumilated on the desktop blog. The python one for over a year now :o
    --Ax
    without exception, there is no rule ...
    Handmade Irish Jewellery
    Targeted Advertising Cookie Optout (TACO) extension for Firefox
    The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones

09 F9 11 02
    9D 74 E3 5B
    D8 41 56 C5
    63 56 88 C0
    Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
    -- Jamie Zawinski
    Detavil - the devil is in the detail, allegedly, and I use the term advisedly, allegedly ... oh, no, wait I did ...
    BIT COINS ANYONE
  5. Walrus Gramps
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would like to thank Dave Sinkula for reminding me of the virtues of doing things the right way rather than the easy way.
    All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way by Eric S. Raymond
  6. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by mvantuyl
    I would like to thank Dave Sinkula for reminding me of the virtues of doing things the right way rather than the easy way.
    I'm on it ;-)

Comments on this post

• mvantuyl agrees : Thank you!
    • LinuxHippy agrees
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  7. Making a mistake is not sin.
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've been roaming on C forum for a while now... And I must say that lot's of ppl (including me) do owe a huge thanks (at least) to:
    Scorpy (Scorpions4ever)
    Sally (Salem)
    The D (Dave Sin... how the hell is it spelled???)
    Mv (mv*t*yl)
    Kicked (Kicken)

EDIT*
    Sorry Nattie, I did forget you O_O
    So Nattie (nattylife) can be added to the list.
    EDIT2*
    Same goes for ZuK

I know I should have done this approx 3 months ago (:wink wink:) but I was afraid since I know I do forget too many names from this list...

Also thanks to lot's of people who have tolerated my presence in php (and linux, apache etc.) forums, when I have posted something that has not been true. (Due to the fact that I have thought something is true... Unfortunately me thinking so won't make it true...)

Oh, and I do also wish to thank DarkLord.
    Last edited by Mazzie; February 15th, 2006 at 02:44 PM.

http://c-ohjelmoijanajatuksia.blogspot.com/
    http://maz-programmersdiary.blogspot.com/
    Admitt you do not know - and become wise.
    Pretend to be wise - and stay stupid.
  8. today is tomorrows yesterday!
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Just a note to say Thanks!

I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum who has helped me so far with all the projects I have been working on.

Life has been better since I actually learned how to use arrays, things such as 70 line if() statements have been taken down to about 5 lines thanks to the help of people like SimonGreenHill, jharnois and jafet... sorry if I forgot anyone..

Anyhow, I was just going over some old code and revising it with arrays, and just thought of how much help you guys have been to making things run a lot faster.

Keep up the great work

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
    If This Post Was Useful, Please Click The Next To My Post

Saidan Ryuuza

Web Designer | Writer
    Web Confidence Design
    Defunct Games
    Kyou wa Ash!ta no Kinou

--
    Failure is not an option! It comes bundled with Windows.
  9. Cunning Linguist

I used to live at home, now I stay at the house
    Threads merged, surplus posts removed.
  10. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up PHP/MySQL gurus: Thank you to all who have helped me!

I just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone who has took the time to help me on my path towards PHP and MySQL enlightenment!

Everyone here is so NICE and HELPFUL! You guys answer my questions so quickly, too! I love programming, and have just begun to learn PHP and MySQL, so I'm sure some of my questions have been major newbie-type questions, but you guys are so patient and helpful! I feel welcome here, and I hope I can return the favour in the future to other newbies when I am more experienced!

I thought it would be more fitting to say "Thanks" here, since I would have ended up "bumping" my previous threads. But you know who you are!

I am using Welling and Thomson's "PHP and MySQL Web Development" book to help me with my studies - any other newbies here using this text? When I'm done with it, where do I go? I'd like to work towards certification, but according to Amazon ratings, the Zend books don't seem to be very good.

I first got interested in PHP and MySQL when my brother showed me some work he was doing involving a database where he listed his CD collection and concerts he had been to and reviews on the concerts. It was really neat and whetted my appetite for learning it (I've taken classes in C, Visual Basic, and Assembly in college) and I wanted to update my skills and get into web development and design.

How did you guys get interested in PHP?

Anyway, I love this forum! I wish it was around in '93-'97 when I was taking programming classes!

So what is this "reputation" thing here? If I click on the "scales" icon and post to someone that has helped me that I "agree" do they get some sort of bonus?

Anyway, gotta go!

*~ Miaow ~*

Comments on this post

• wapindya agrees : Welcome to DevShed !
    • jafet agrees : Rep "scales" button -- live demo ;)
  11. Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Miaow
    So what is this "reputation" thing here? If I click on the "scales" icon and post to someone that has helped me that I "agree" do they get some sort of bonus?

Hello Miaow,

let me Welcome you to Devshed, i hope you enjoy your stay here, i am here from last 2 years and i learnt a lot, and wish you the same.

As far as your query about reputation is concerned, i suggest you to first go through the forum rules well.

http://forums.devshed.com/forum-rules-guidelines-127/rules-the-general-rules-thread-271402.html

as you are a newbie and don't have received reputation points from other members yet, your reputation power is 0. you will be able to give reputation in near future, but for now just concentrate on posting good stuff and try exploring and learning different forums on devshed.

i can give you 1 point of repo to welcome you!

regards
    Wapindya
  12. (retired)

Merged with "I would like to thank..." thread.

--Simon

Comments on this post

• wapindya agrees : Yeah thats a gud idea.
  13. Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I would like to thank my teachers, my parents, my friends, and all the devshed members who time to time support like my PDA hehehe...
  14. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would like to thank the following members for helping me out in the antivirus forums when I had a problem.

oneMSBi
    Tomboy
    Aitken325i

YOU GUYS DO AN EPIC JOB IN THAT FORUM AND HELP A LOT OF PEOPLE. KEEP IT UP!
  15. המבין יבין
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I would really like to thank almost every member of Devshed personally. You guys have helped me out a lot. Not only in technical issues, but also with relations with the university staff (Mad Secratary thread). In particular, these guys and girls stand out, but if I missed someone, don't get offended. My A-team are:
    codergeek42
    xlordt
    aitken325i
    SimonGreenhill
    LinuxPenguin
    crownjewel82
    linuxChique

Thank you, thank you, thank you. And a very special thanks to Jeremy for maintaining Devshed and making it possible.
    . . . What is Firefox?
    . . . . . . What is Linux?
    . . . . . . . . . . . What is Love?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo