Thread: Thread Spotting

1. Crypto-Con
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by medianox
    Sometimes people just ask too much... this guy's a total stooge:

link-a-link-a-doo

I expect this outta the PHP forum, but in Python!?
    you should have told him you were too busy redesigning Amazon....
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  2. Cliff Huxtable
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by B-Con
    you should have told him you were too busy redesigning Amazon....
    And let me tell you, Bezos keeps a short leash!
    Pop, OJ, Purple Stuff, and ... Sunny D! Wow, dude -- Your Mom is the coolest! Thanks Mrs. D!
  3. CAUTION: Loderator Moose
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

ummm.. that poster is asking alot, but in a weird way i kinda know how it feels. I'm a noob to python and learning it completely isnt just a stroll in the park as everyone claims. Its kinda hard to get really good literature on certain things. I use the O'riely learning python book and it doesnt cover half the stuff i want to know. I really had to struggle getting the information i wanted on using TCL/TK with python.
    Nigel
    ..Seeking code free nirvana...
    Nigel Fernandes Blog
    Never argue with fools. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Manchester United Forever
  4. Type Cast Exception

Originally Posted by oneMSBi
    ummm.. that poster is asking alot, but in a weird way i kinda know how it feels.
    Atleast he's made an effort. Unlike the ones that are "I need a program that keeps track of inventory and prints invoices and receipts. Can someone please AIM me this code? Thanks"

Comments on this post

• oneMSBi agrees
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  5. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by medialint
    Atleast he's made an effort. Unlike the ones that are "I need a program that keeps track of inventory and prints invoices and receipts. Can someone please AIM me this code? Thanks"
    That's absurd... people never post like that. Take out the "thanks" and say something about it being "urgent" and then you've got it right, though...

---John Holmes...

Comments on this post

• kurious agrees
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  6. No Profile Picture
    Brony & F/OSS Advocate

Ok it's on a LIveJournal community post: http://www.livejournal.com/community....html#t9796261

Basically I accidentally start a whole legal issues thread. I didn't mean to, though.
    ~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( Peter's Musings: Uploading myself, bit by bit... ) :: ( Electronic Frontier Foundation ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
  7. Cliff Huxtable

Originally Posted by codergeek42
    Ok it's on a LIveJournal community post: http://www.livejournal.com/community....html#t9796261

Basically I accidentally start a whole legal issues thread. I didn't mean to, though.
    That comic is rad. I want GNU/Linux Monopoly.
    Pop, OJ, Purple Stuff, and ... Sunny D! Wow, dude -- Your Mom is the coolest! Thanks Mrs. D!
  8. Cliff Huxtable

Sorry to double post but, check out this thread:

Could you be a dear and...

The OP sent me a PM asking me to write the whole program for her!

I suppose I'll give here a start on the conditionals, but..>!
  9. (retired)

I *hate* people who do that. I've had a number of people PM me directly asking if I can help them set up MySQL or Apache. I don't mind if it's a forum regular, but if I've never seen you around, then you're going to get a price list ($500 no-refund one minute consultation fee for a start).

One guy signed up a week ago, posted ONE thread asking for help doing his networking exam, then PM'd me (and I assume everyone else he could find) asking the same question. I temp banned him. I got an email from him telling me that I was rude

--Simon
  10. Banned (not really)

I've gotten a couple of those lately. I just tell 'em "Please ask your question in the forums so everyone can benefit from the answer." Probably to nice, eh?

---John Holmes...
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  11. Cliff Huxtable

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    I've gotten a couple of those lately. I just tell 'em "Please ask your question in the forums so everyone can benefit from the answer." Probably to nice, eh?

---John Holmes...
    It's such a common thing in the PHP forum... the prevalence and availability of PHP programs in common website tasks (i.e. image gallery, guestbook, file uploads, forums, etc.), causes alot of people to come on in with a question having never written a line of code in their life (in any language).

I just started on PHP<?="GOD";?> a little over a year ago after several years of ASP (<?="DOG";?>, and while I was guilty of stupid and simple questions at the beginning, I never asked for someone to do my work/job/school project. It's a disease and I think it needs to stop -- it makes me feel bad when a thorough, painstakingly comment answer is met with a PM: "Looks good - could you code the rest of that out for me cause I'm kinda in a hurry." There's no way to ask that question nicely.
  12. (retired)

13. (retired)

Originally Posted by medianox
    It's such a common thing in the PHP forum... the prevalence and availability of PHP programs in common website tasks (i.e. image gallery, guestbook, file uploads, forums, etc.), causes alot of people to come on in with a question having never written a line of code in their life (in any language).
    I agree - a lot of people just want to add function x to their website. IMHO they should be passed directly onto the scripts forum. One thing which really bugs me, is when the original poster gets some half-arsed answer and closes the thread. The whole POINT of a forum is to discuss things.

My second major pet hate (and I've seen it rather frequently) is this (and this EXACT question):

1: how do I get the first n words from a field in MySQL?
    2: get from database and then use explode() or substr().
    1: k, thx, bye!

(My first, if anyone cares is "I like to configure my whole webserver in .htaccess files").

--Simon
  14. (retired)

What the....?

Edit: and again it looks like he wants all the posts mentioning Randles-Suzuki.co.uk and incompetant web design removed.
    Last edited by SimonGreenhill; May 16th, 2005 at 06:36 AM.
  15. Cunning Linguist

I used to live at home, now I stay at the house
    Go on mods, delete his posts. That's what he's asking for...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo