Thread: Thread Spotting

1. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

This guy is hoping someone will design his site for free.

Edit: My summary doesn't make it sound very amusing...
    Last edited by Kravvitz; February 19th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  2. Sarcky

Dont know just wont work

Comments on this post

• Skipt agrees
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. Sarcky

I honestly can't tell if this is an April Fool's day joke or not.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  4. No Profile Picture
    I haz teh codez!
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

This is just sad. 909 Posts, been here for 12 years, can't do a simple PHP task. Unfortunately we're seeing more and more of these in PHP.
    I ♥ ManiacDan & requinix

This is a sig, and not necessarily a comment on the OP:
    Please don't be a help vampire!
  5. Sarcky

Originally Posted by ptr2void
    This is just sad. 909 Posts, been here for 12 years, can't do a simple PHP task. Unfortunately we're seeing more and more of these in PHP.
    He's been working on this particular problem for eight years.

6. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  7. Did you steal it?

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    Hey! Watch your language!
    Originally Posted by Kravvitz

Maybe not.
  8. Sarcky

Ok this one is just weird. It's a standard "I'm not a coder but somehow I'm in charge of coding" post where the OP does lots of things wrong. Then someone points out they've cross-posted and it gets a bit acrimonious. Then, for some reason, we get an essay from OP about how their server isn't important enough to break into, but if you do happen to break into it there are "surprises" waiting for you, and the last guy who tried is in jail.

9. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

LOL! It's funny when someone has that kind of response. Proper security is too much work, so I'll just give a vague warning.

It's also unfortunate that many people don't appreciate (as in comprehend, not enjoy) the kind of trouble that can be caused by bored, immature (or malicious) individuals with certain skills.

10. Sarcky

Two days in a row for good threads. This guy apparently is in charge of un-doing the spam done by a SEO spamming company, and we should all forgive him and work hard with him because he pinky swears his cause is noble.

It's also unfortunate that many people don't appreciate (as in comprehend, not enjoy) the kind of trouble that can be caused by bored, immature (or malicious) individuals with certain skills.
    Seriously, we live in a world where a 13 year old in Idaho can utterly destroy a small business in Florida because he was bored. Pay attention and learn security, it's the only way to stay afloat.

I wrote the Intrusion Detection System reporting engine for SoftLayer (a large unmanaged hosting company) about 5 years ago. There were days where we'd see 10 million attacks in a single day. Most of them were directed at IIS, then PHP.

11. Sarcky

It's been a while, so enjoy this thread where I explain how I like to ban people who spam the boards, then three spammers spam the board in that very thread.

12. Sarcky

In this thread, the artist formerly known as zxcvbnm asks a couple of questions about analytics packages, but chooses to use an unsavory abbreviation. He gives himself a vocabulary lesson.

13. Sarcky

I seem to be the only one updating threadspotting, but that's ok with me. This thread is one of the mystifying examples of a new programmer asking how to do something that's a bad idea, then getting offended when the answer is "that's a bad idea, here's three better ways to do this." Too many people come here expecting us to be a secretary for them, googling their questions and compiling an easy-to-digest response so they can move on with their lives.

Comments on this post

• Jacques1 agrees
    • codergeek42 agrees

14. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I was wondering where that thread was going! I vaguely recall years ago someone with a last name of Ng and one with O as a last name (given names, not changed by them) having issues getting a passport and/or credit card as their names were 'not valid'.
    You just cannot perform such checks. Even if you had a human on the other end to parse out the 'crap' you'd still have false filtering as there's always a muppet/poor so-and-so who, 'for a laff' or 'I support my team so I will give my kid their names ...' who has a bloody stupid name. Then there's the poor ones of famous fathers ...
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc
  15. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    I seem to be the only one updating threadspotting, but that's ok with me. This thread is one of the mystifying examples of a new programmer asking how to do something that's a bad idea, then getting offended when the answer is "that's a bad idea, here's three better ways to do this." Too many people come here expecting us to be a secretary for them, googling their questions and compiling an easy-to-digest response so they can move on with their lives.
    I know it was closed, but I just had to...

Comments on this post

• codergeek42 agrees
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo