Thread: Thread Spotting

1. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by SimonJM
    I was wondering where that thread was going! I vaguely recall years ago someone with a last name of Ng and one with O as a last name (given names, not changed by them) having issues getting a passport and/or credit card as their names were 'not valid'.
    You just cannot perform such checks. Even if you had a human on the other end to parse out the 'crap' you'd still have false filtering as there's always a muppet/poor so-and-so who, 'for a laff' or 'I support my team so I will give my kid their names ...' who has a bloody stupid name. Then there's the poor ones of famous fathers ...
    I work for a credit card company. One of our clients filed a bug with us because the client's chosen bank was rejecting a bunch of our charge requests. Turns out, the bank had very restrictive filters on names, and the client had just expanded their business into the Middle East. I closed it as "not a bug, we allow human beings to enter their own name into the system regardless of what that name may be, and if the bank does not believe their name to be valid, that is a problem with the bank."

Comments on this post

• Nilpo agrees : That's awesome. :)
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  2. Sarcky

Oh man, the hero of our last thread has experience rejecting the advice he gets around here. That's his second-most-recent thread, and it's from years ago. Set an alarm for 2017, he'll be back to ask a question, then yell at us for answering.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  3. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Well...he is from Cleveland, otherwise known as "The Mistake On The Lake".
    Don't like me? Click it.

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  4. Sarcky

New User throws a fit when told he'll have to learn AJAX in order to do real-time client-server interaction from within a browser. He even threatens to warn his friends about us!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo