1. I love your chinese eyes :*
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

Transfer my emails from one Gmail to another Gmail id

Hi

I have a Gmail id for the last few years. It has lots of emails from my sister which has lots of photos in it. What I wanted was to move them all to another Gmail ID so I can free up some space in my current account.

I added my Second Gmail id in the FORWARD EMAIL list. Then I created a FILTER

has:attachment AND mysisid@gmail.com

it gives me desired emails list. While creating the filter I selected to apply filters to the searched emails too and for future too. In the filter options I selected to STAR and FORWARD to my second email id.

All the emails from her has been STARed but not forwarded to my second gmail id.

I do not want to use Outlook lengthly POP process. so is there any other technique? Gmail has no feature to forward all selected emails to another id otherwise it could have been very simple.

thank you!
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I would not recommend POP for this, since Gmail supports IMAP too. As far as I know, there aren't any other options.

Also I wouldn't recommend Outlook for this. Thunderbird FTW!

These also suggest the same thing:
    Forwarding Filter does not work on old messages
    http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic...gmail-messages

Comments on this post

• jojoba agrees
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. I love your chinese eyes :*
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

i just read on the filter window

Note: old mail will not be forwarded

they are idiots. why should I not be able to do it? it is a desired featured and gmail does not offer it.
  7. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

I expect they don't offer that feature because forwarding a lot of messages (possibly thousands) in a short period of time would likely be a very large server load from a single user.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Kravvitz
    I expect they don't offer that feature because forwarding a lot of messages (possibly thousands) in a short period of time would likely be a very large server load from a single user.
    yes, and for that they have size limit per email message, and sending allot of messages at one time would easily bypass that limit, and would possible be abused by users that want to transfer videos and big applications, which free emails are not designed to handle
  11. No Profile Picture

Sorry, haven't been on the site for a long time and I didn't see this until just now.

I am quite sure I have some notes on how this can be done, but first has the OP already figured it out?

If not, I'll go dig up my notes.
  13. Sarcky

Jojoba, you don't want to forward your mail from the old account, you want to import it into the new account. You were working from the wrong side.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  15. No Profile Picture

Oh good, I won't have to go digging for my notes on this. One thing, though, I do remember, we ran a test and it does take a long time when the load gets up into 200 or more MBs that needs moving. This was a few years back, if memory serves correctly, and I seem to remember it took days, not hours. I also seem to remember that was explained to us by Google as being because the data transfer was sent in packages at intervals, not like something like an FTP client style.

Anyway, looks like the OP has been answered in a proper manner, yes?

Still, I shouldn't be such a stranger to the site, so I'll try to drop by more often.

By the way, as we're discussing one Gmail tool, has anyone started a thread on the Google New Look fiasco? Are we even allowed to discuss that here? Well, true that some folks don't view it as a fiasco, but a lot do. Anyway, are we allowed to discuss that here? -- in a new thread, of course.
  17. Sarcky

You can start a new thread about anything you want. Generally tech-related threads are welcomed unconditionally.

I think the new look is stupid, ugly, and less usable.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I tried to POP my gmail inbox but although that "All Mail" states 600 email, the POP client finds only 400 (months after i enabled POP access for gmail). Why is that?

Thank you all for your answers

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo